Clear all

Other Hobbies?

68 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
12.5 K Views
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Yeah, I'm from Placentia, out on the Avalon. We had it here for a few years. The first two years it drove right past our place. It was wicked, we have a huge driveway so we got a perfect view of a sharp S-turn, and a long straight-a-way. I remember once that a Chevy, really can't remember what particular model, early 70's though, screwed up on the turn, and almost went lost control. He would have a 15 foot drop into a lake.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well, unfortunately that happened this year. A pristine Porsche 944 overshot a turn and ended up in the water. Starts whenever it wants, wipers and horn turn on by themselves. Porsches don't like saltwater.

Also, my father has run the event the last three years.

04-11th in the category with a basically stock Honda Civic hatchback

05-3rd in the category with the same car with a new motor

06-1st in the category in a yellow Subaru Legacy

Ethan

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

Hey, like at least a few of you others, I guess, I try to do a fair amount of reading. I'm also cranking through the latest Robert Jordan (you're both wrong, it's number 11!). Honestly, I'm tired of this series, and just want it to end. I hope the next one's the last one... I like Goodkind's Sword of Truth series too, and of course Harry Potter. I try to read random non-fiction stuff too, every now and then too. Working on Godel, Escher, Bach now too, and want to get to "six not-so-easy pieces" by Richard Feynman too.

I can totally identify with the car stuff going on here too.... I used to autocross my 99 Maxima, but both of the clubs near me have since lost their spaces, so I have no place to go anymore. Well, one of them just moved, but they weren't particularly close to me before, and now they're like 3 hours away. It was hard enough dragging my butt out of bed on a Sunday morning when they were only an hour away. It just ain't gonna happen if I gotta get up 2 hours earlier. Autocross is a blast, even if you don't have a car that's all that sporty (ie my Maxima). Here's a video of me beating the crap out of my "family sedan" a few years ago. :)

Oh, and to you gun guys, it's been ages, but I used to shoot on my high school rifle team. Yeah, my high school had a rifle team, and a shooting range in the basement even.

I also like to build and tweak amps and pedals and stuff, but I don't know if I consider that a separate hobby, just part of guitar really. That's one reason I like the guitar, actually, it gives me something to tinker with that's not a computer. I get enough of that at work, thank you. ;)

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Well, my son and I enjoy shooting, like Ricochet does. We have a variety of rifles and guns. We really enjoy baseball. I don't know if it's a hobby, but I spend a great deal of time entertaining my cat.

His name is Lucifer ........ but we call him Louie. He goes wild when I play the guitar, and he likes to bite people. He only bites for fun, doesn't hurt you. He is a baby really. He is one year old, weights 12 lbs and he is a Bombay Cat.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Oh, and to you gun guys, it's been ages, but I used to shoot on my high school rifle team. Yeah, my high school had a rifle team, and a shooting range in the basement even.
I didn't get on the high school shooting team before it went by the wayside, but was in the Rifle Club. We met after school and shot on the indoor rifle range on the East Tennessee State University campus. Pity that's not a usual thing for schools nowadays.
:(

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The morons have taken over.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Working on Godel, Escher, Bach now too

Great book TZ! I read it some years ago.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

TR,

Lucifer is a cool looking cat..I have an all white cat that doesn't leave my side she follws me everywhere..her name is Jr

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Dual line stunt kite flying, and kites in general
Photography
Vegitable Gardening (low on the learning curve here, lucky to get a few tomatos and some salad every year.)
The occasional yoyo trick (Dif-E-Yo's rock!)
Astronomy (not so much, though, urban light polution sucks)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Astronomy (not so much, though, urban light polution sucks)
Yeah, and I no longer have a vehicle I can easily throw my 1/3 meter Odyssey scope into the back of, nor can I easily stay up all night and still get to work!
:shock:

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

other than guitar, i love dirt bikes, i have a suzuki rm 250 that screams, i've crashed and burned real bad a couple of times
thinking i was robbie knievel, but after a couple of hospital stints, i mostly just trail ride now :wink:

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@fretted-fingers)
Trusted Member

Hobbies.
I do all kinds of stuff outside of guitar.
I mess around with random computer junk. I play videogames (I'm actually making on right now).
TV. I religiously watch history, discovery, National Geographic, and Science Channels.
Sometimes the travel channel, AMC Movie channel, or the food network.
I like to do things that require the use of my hands in general.
Here's a picture of a ring I made out of a 1964 quarter. Yeah. I like to make stuff.

Outdoorsy camping/hiking type stuff. ATV'ing on the trails occasionally.
Taking walks during the fall. Usually carrying my acoustic guitar along =P
Uhmm..that's all for now, but if I can think of anything to add later, I'll do so.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

What a beautiful black cat Lucifer is! I had one like that once. Came up with an idea to trick him into posing on top of a jack-o'-lantern and called the local paper's photographer over. Got a full page color photo on the front of the weekend insert that Halloween. What the readers didn't know is that a mouse the kitty had just caught was inside the pumpkin.
:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

We don't call him Lucifer though ..... he is too cute and sweet so he goes by Louie. He has the Halloween cat pose down pat. Arches his back and turns sideways ........ then spins out and tries to run up a wall or something. He likes to be held like you would hold a baby, and often is in that spot while I'm trying to type on here. :lol: I guess he's not really a hobby, but just a member of the family, although he certainly does take up a lot of my time.

Hey, is home improvement a hobby? With the money I make, I can't afford to hire stuff done, so I suppose I can list plumbing and electricity as hobbies. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

-Model railroading, woodworking, a bit of gardening.

-Retired from karate and kobudo...taught karate for a number of years.

-Oh yeah...I also have two cats...a 10 pound spayed female named Magic (all black) , a 19 pound black & white neutered male named Dufus.

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5