Clear all

Parker guitars

18 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone. I'm considering buying a Parker P-42 but no local music shop near me carries Parker guitars. Because of this I would need to mail order but I would like to hear from players who own it, or have played it, before doing so. Thanks.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Parker-P42-Electric-Guitar?sku=511294

Why do we have to get old...

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Wow, I dodn't think I've ever seen one in a store either. It is always nice to try before you buy but lots of the mail order places have fair return policies for this reason.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I played around with a high end Parker in a local shop awhile back, I think it was last summer. It was used & they were asking something like $2500.00 for it. I certainly couldn't afford that at the time, which my wife reminded me of even before I picked it up... :oops:

I can't remember the exact model, but I know it wasn't the one you mentioned; It had a trem. system on it, their own creation I guess. I can tell you that it sounded absolutely incredible with the Marshall Valvestate I was playing through in the store. The trem system stayed in tune just fine.

It felt great in my hands, one of those kinds of guitars that don't fight you, y'know?

The Parker guitars get very high reviews. Check out youtube for some vids & also Harmony Central for some reviews. Also, I believe MF still has that guarantee in effect that you can send the item back if you are not pleased with it. You might want to check on that first.

I certainly wouldn't hesitate for a second to purchase a Parker - just my .02. :)

ReplyQuote
(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all. Yeah, I played a Nightfly in a GC when they first came out back in the 90's and was blown away by it. They were very new and I believe may have been their only model at the time - and very expensive as mentioned. I couldn't afford it but wanted it real bad. Because of my budget I pretty much wrote Parker guitars off and then just recently see that they started offering more affordable models, which sparked my interest again. I'll check the Tube and HC for reviews.

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

My partner has a Parker PM10 and it is an excellent guitar. The seam between the neck and the body is so good that you have to bring it in bright light to see it, plus there is no heel to get in your way. The neck is fast, and it is light weight but still has nice sustain.

It looks like this one:

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thats a nice looking slab of wood there!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Best Buy (which recently opened it's musical instrument department - another discussion) carries some Parker electrics. the one I have tried out is clearly a pretty sharp, looking modern take on a Tele, but has a clear and disappointing design flaw: the top is arched and rises very close to the strings in the region between the pups. if you dig-in in at all with a pick it hits the body. this doesn't apply directly to the Parker in this discussion, but is more of a general caveat emptor: despite the coolness, Parkers are not perfect. if at all possible, try before you buy.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

a pretty sharp, looking modern take on a Tele, but has a clear and disappointing design flaw
<snip>
Parkers are not perfect. if at all possible, try before you buy.

I don't think anything beyond the original Parker Fly guitar was designed by Ken Parker as he had some sort of falling out with his business partners and is off now redesigning and building archtop acoustics. I posted a link to an article on Ken Parker earlier this year - http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=44346

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies and links all. Good points to keep in consideration.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Best Buy (which recently opened it's musical instrument department - another discussion

Is that just online? I did a search for a guitar once and they came up as a retailer, I thought it was odd...but after hearing you say that I guess they want a piece of the musical pie.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I suppose guitar is one of the few things that has been hanging on as a specialty item with it's own stores. (Unless you count First Act in Wally World)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Best Buy (which recently opened it's musical instrument department - another discussion

Is that just online? I did a search for a guitar once and they came up as a retailer, I thought it was odd...but after hearing you say that I guess they want a piece of the musical pie.

not just on-line -- dedicated room with Gibby, Fender, Line6, Epi, Yammy, MXR, Danny EFX, various keyboards, even an acoustic room with Taylor, Gibby, Alvarez, Washburn ....

It's good in that the unknowing parent can find the real thing instead of dropping the same amount of cash on a dept store special. the downside ... well obvious.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

a pretty sharp, looking modern take on a Tele, but has a clear and disappointing design flaw
<snip>
Parkers are not perfect. if at all possible, try before you buy.

I don't think anything beyond the original Parker Fly guitar was designed by Ken Parker as he had some sort of falling out with his business partners and is off now redesigning and building archtop acoustics. I posted a link to an article on Ken Parker earlier this year - http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=44346

not too surprised about that, H.

even the original Parker Fly -- and to be sure: it gets my vote for coolness -- had/has its share of design and build issues. IIRC these involved pup failure, frets detaching (glued-on stainless) and something about the bridge. all repairable ... if you can find a tech/luthier who knows the axe. but ... all these more exotic features except the signature shape have been removed or better addressed in the subsequent and lower cost models. many of these are now simply a Parker's (the company's) interpretation of guitars available from other makers. given that, I think it's a good idea to A-B the Parkers against their nearest similar competitors. the shapes and contours are important, and getting the one that feels good to you is pretty important. it's very difficult to judge that from the pics.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@boogieman)
Trusted Member

bfloyd6969

I see you're in Ohio. JK Lutherie outside of Cincinnati is a Parker dealer and usually has several in stock. Might be worth a drive? He does a great job on set up and repairs also.

http://www.jklutherie.com

Take care,

Trey

ReplyQuote
(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

bfloyd6969

I see you're in Ohio. JK Lutherie outside of Cincinnati is a Parker dealer and usually has several in stock. Might be worth a drive? He does a great job on set up and repairs also.

http://www.jklutherie.com

Take care,

Trey

Thanks for the heads up. Cinci is a couple of hours away and I just found that Guitar Center in Columbus (about an hour away) carries the Parker line. I'll give them a call and see if they have any P-42's in stock. Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2