Clear all

Pawn Shops are great!

16 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So I was on my way to teach a class tonight and I was waaay early, and was in a pretty unfamiliar part of town when I drove by a pawn shop with a whole slew of guitars hanging in the window. Naturally, I stopped and went in.

I saw a Hollow-Body electric guitar on the wall that caught my eye, it was an Ibanez AF75 transparent red sunburst, here's the link to an image:

http://ibanez.com/HollowBodyGuitars/model-AF75

I was messing around a bit with it and wasn't really looking to buy it, but when talking to the pawn shop guy, I got him to sell it to me for $150. While I don't have it yet, I will be owning this thing in the next couple of weeks since he was nice enough to hold it for me until my next paycheck.

Man, the wife is going to kill me when she sees it :lol:

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a great deal. Hopefully the pawn shop guy will live up to his end of the bargain. From my experience, they'll say anything, but do whatever they have to to make a buck, like sell it to someone else before you come back.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

oh geez. we're losing another perfectly good human being. first Joe gets some blues method books, next he really enjoys playing the blues, and finally he picks up guitars at random in strange parts of town.
Joe...my hero :D :D :D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Great looking guitar Joe, I have the AF95:

http://ibanez.com/HollowBodyGuitars/guitar.aspx?m=AF95

I can't see much of a difference between the two models actually, besides the fact that they both have a different finish. That is a really good deal for that guitar though, when I got mine at Guitar Centre they didn't budge much on the price.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

oh geez. we're losing another perfectly good human being

:lol: :lol:

There goes the nieghborhood.

I hope that Dan's comment about pawn shops are not correct in this instance. I would really hate to go back there and find the guitar gone.

I'll find out in a couple of weeks I guess.
when I got mine at Guitar Centre they didn't budge much on the price.
It's been my experience that the bix box stores won't budge at all, you'll have more luck in a mom and pop shop for that.

The guitar you have looks great!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Great guitar Joe! I was playing that model some time ago in a store: nice tone and nice feel!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

oh geez. we're losing another perfectly good human being. first Joe gets some blues method books, next he really enjoys playing the blues, and finally he picks up guitars at random in strange parts of town.
Joe...my hero :D :D :D

8)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

LOL, that's funny. :lol:

I had to teach another class tonight so I thought I'd go down to the pawn shop again to see if they still had it.....I CAN'T FIND THE PAWN SHOP!!!! I swear I was right in the same area that I found it before, but I can't seem to find it. I'll have to look again when I teach again on Thursday. :evil: :evil:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Uh-Oh! Payday is right around the corner too.

Maybe it was one of those scenes from a movie. The ghost pawn shop that appears out of know where on a full moon. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

:lol:

I'm going to have to find that shop and make sure the guitar is still there, if not then well, I don't have to have the guitar.

But it would be really cool to have this one

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Good luckw ith that, Joe. I've been checking in on this thread to see the story unfold. I hope it's still there and findable. Hope remembered the name of the place or got a business card.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

No, I did not get the name, I didn't even bother to look for it, or get a card. I just hope that it's not one of those:

"Well let's put the stuff back in the truck and get on outta here" kind of things :lol:
Kind of kicking myself for not getting that when I was there.

I'm getting up extra early this afternoon to go down there and look for it (I work overnight, not just sleeping in :wink: )

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I just hope that it's not one of those:

"Well let's put the stuff back in the truck and get on outta here" kind of things :lol:

I'm thinking that it may well have been either a movable front for a spy ring or a temporary cover for a gang who were tunneling into a nearby bank. However, my best guess is that aliens are now flying around the galactic space/time warp in pawn shops, since the old flying saucer thing became just too darned obvious....

Hope you find it again anyway. (Watch out for those alien probes though, and remember to slip out the door if you hear anything that sounds like the starter motor on an intergalactic engine spinning over....)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

y best guess is that aliens are now flying around the galactic space/time warp in pawn shops, since the old flying saucer thing became just too darned obvious....

Gotta be the aliens, I couldn't find the pawn shop and gave up on the Ibanez. BUT, got something that sounded so good I couldn't resist.

It's a Guitar Research JX17S Eddie Durham 100th Anniversary Hollow Body with Flat Wound strings.

WOW, it actually sounds like I know what I'm doing when I played this, the mistakes I generally make, just don't happen with this, and it takes like no pressure to get the strings to sound.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

All for the better then. Congrats!

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2