Notifications
Clear all

People who work in music stores

51 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'm afraid you don't understand. My advice is not to listen to opinions if you don't like them. I have no problems with your opinion so I have no need to stop listening. By the way, I'm merely expressing my opinions about LPs. It would be appreciated if you could leave the 'hypocritical wimp' comments away. If you like LPs, fine. If you like to discuss them, fine. If you don't want to hear negative things don't listen to opinions. That's all I have to say.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I like a good natured debate with a little harmless name calling . Seriously , I don't know you from Adam nor you me . I only have problems with people who pass their opinions off as fact like the nameless salesperson at the beginning of this thread . Someone who goes into a store looking for advice on purchasing something should get a professional salesperson with a non-biased attitude toward the items he is trying to sell . He will lose a sale and any potential future sales and that isn't good for the store owner .
Here is an example of a good salesperson : I recently tried to buy some flowers for my wife on our anniversary . I wanted the same flowers we had at our wedding - Stargazer Lilies . I visited three shops with no success , but in the third shop the owner called around to every shop in the county and located some for me . She didn't have to and made no money from the sale but she got me what I was looking for . She also didn't try to sell me a different flower . I will go back to that shop the next time I give dying plants as a symbol of undying love . :D
In closing , I would like to say "let's agree to disagree." I am generally very tolerant of other peoples opinions ( I have four grown step-children ) . Good music can be made by an expert playing a $40 guitar and I've heard some really bad sounds coming from expensive guitars , including mine .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Oh, I do agree with that. Over here (the Netherlands) I've had both kind of salesman. In the town I'm from there's a huge musicstore with practically no competition. When I asked one of the salesman if he could get a guitar from the back I was told he was busy playing. You see, he had a gig that night. It's standard there, people have so little choice they can do and say whatever they want. Where I live now, groningen, has a few stores in the same region. When I walked into the largest one to try a few amps they hooked me up with some cables, placed the amps in a convenient way and brought some coffee. All after I said I had no money on me and was just testing them to see if I might later buy one. I still switch between both cities a lot but guess which one of them earned hundreds, if not thousands, of euro's of me?

By the way, I reread my posts and noticed my usual bungholianness, my apologies. I usually mean things a lot less agressive then I write.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

"bungholianness" ? I tried to look that up in Webster's dictionary but was unsuccessful in the attempt but I think I get the drift (pun intended) . I suspect you and I are more similar than different .

ReplyQuote
(@combs)
Eminent Member

I worked in wholesale sales for a number of years. The one thing I was taught was to respect the opposition and not to put them down. This was in the engineering area, so I suspect that in something as personal as music it would be even more important. Having been on the 'other side' if I am dealing with a salesperson who seems a little abrasive I try to think of why. Maybe I am being a little abrasive myself, or maybe their mother just died and they are trying to just get through the day.

There are always two sides to consider. Or maybe it was his last day and he was just having fun.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I suspect you and I are more similar than different .

Haha, yall are both bungholes. :lol: It's great when things work out...

It takes one to know two ! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

There's always one, I went into a music store today in my town called Dolphin Music it used to be called Woods and was known for very snooty staff but now they have some guitar staff and one is just as bad. I was looking at the epiphone Les Pauls and he said "Can I help you?" I said, slightly because I hoped to cheese him off "Yes I was looking for a REAL Gibson Les Paul but I can't see any. I'm normally a Strat player but a lot of the people I like play them" he replies "Oh, they're nothing special". Nothing special? How can anyone who works around guitars say that? Everybody knows a Les Paul (especially Gibson) is a sought after instrument that most players would LOVE to own. Not only do they have iconic status but they also have a certain sound, one that I love. I felt like telling him not to bother me ever again if he was only going to talk b o l l o c k s!

Anybody have any other stories about people who work in music stores?

Never had that type of experience but, if a person was to say that, means they didn't know what they was talking about in the first place! I go to a store that's in another town. it is only about 20 miles away, maybe a couple less, but i go there cause of the friendly atmosphere and the knowledge of people. it's a small store where the owner has an active role in the day to day operations. If one of the guys don't know something, they will say that and they will go out of their way to get the answer. They are always giving me good deals. for example. I bought a new guitar, they gave me a 20% discount. Of course i asked for the best deal. I got mic and mic stand, they stand was 45 but they said well sell it to you for 35 but regular price on the mic. It's not alot but they really go out of their way to make their customers happy. The store in my own town, i wouldn't say they wasn't knowledgable, but the atmosphere is more like a big chain store. They own 3 stores I believe anyway. It just doesn't feel the same as the little country store i go to in the other town. I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe you should try to look around, even if you got to drive out of your way, it will be worth it, if you can trust the people your dealing with. To me that's very important.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

By the way, I reread my posts and noticed my usual bungholianness, my apologies. I usually mean things a lot less agressive then I write.

Aww, Ignar is mellowing in his younger/older age. LOL

Nothing to add to the thread.. but I was feeling left out so..

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

True. I didn't even join in the crucification of that kid who ripped off his uncle, would you believe it! :P

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yeah I normally go to this store in Leeds, about 20 minutes drive out I really like the people down there gave me a good deal on my new amp which there is also a topic about in live sound :D

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

True. I didn't even join in the crucification of that kid who ripped off his uncle, would you believe it! :P

Lol, perhaps they should learn the Stones' tune (You'll Never Make A) Saint Of Me..... :wink:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i thought the universe seemed a bit out of sync. :lol:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Yeah I normally go to this store in Leeds, about 20 minutes drive out I really like the people down there gave me a good deal on my new amp which there is also a topic about in live sound :D
Which store do you go to? One of those in The Calls?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Sound Control, it's the best store I've visited up north so far..... though I haven't gone to that many but it beats music ground and woods aka dolphin music. Are you in the UK too?

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I can recommend Curly Music in Liverpool, if that helps (5 minutes from the station). :wink:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4