Skip to content
Pick-finder? Check ...

Notifications
Clear all

Pick-finder? Check Out These Instructions...

25 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

"Australian shows how to make sex with strange cattle"

:mrgreen:

Great!

We're famous for it...

Apparently there are foreigners who think that The Canning Stock Route is an annual event for randy Australian cowboys, rather than a track used for droving cattle... :shock:

(Translation for non Australians: "Route" sounds like "Root", which is local slang for what is know in some places as "horizontal dancing" and in others as "playing hide the sausage". Is that all crystal clear now to any Vulcans, Vogons or Klingons reading???)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Just saw this. Brought back painful memories. A couple years back, the doctors at my hospital got these travel mug thermis things that came in a nice case for Christmas gifts, we found them on line and they sold for $50 each. We nurses, while in the midst of contract negotiations, got these lights only with the hospital logo on them. I found them on line. Can be purchased in bulk for 26 cents a piece. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x Of note also, made in Ningbo China ... lead lead lead! I think the management was making a statement.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

That's awesome, I love Engrish

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

J Can be purchased in bulk for 26 cents a piece. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x Of note also, made in Ningbo China ... lead lead lead! I think the management was making a statement.

Thanks for that extra info TR. What a shabby move by the hospital management. :(

26c sounds about right for how much they would have paid here to put the item in the show-bag. But it was intriguing to find that all three batteries were in reasonable shape and would have cost several dollars each if bought here. Of course, they weren't either of the numbers quoted on the packet though....

Another interesting angle was the dodgy CE logo at the bottom. The 'proper' CE symbol is to mark that a product conforms with European Health and Safety laws. Whereas a near copy can apparently mean 'China Export'. This doesn't even look like a genuine 'China Export' one... :wink:

Info about the CE mark at Wikipedia

Also from Wiki:

"During World War II in 1940, Japan bombed Ningbo with fleas carrying the bubonic plague."

Nasty :shock:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Double thanks to TR. :D

I've just repeated your search and found somewhere that sells them.

They're apparently available now at the attractive price of US $ 0.188 each..... (provided you don't mind buying the minimum order of 10,000...)

Shop Now to Avoid Disappointment

Interestingly, the site is in perfectly OK English, and throws much light on the mystery.

Maybe Paul could get the GN Logo applied and find 9,999 other GN members interested snapping up the rest at something exorbitant like 50c each ... :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

China's "Melamine Economy" will undergo quite a shock when 600 million workers insist they want a labor union!

Hey...anyone come across GREAT Chinese rock anywhere??? I've looked, but haven't come up w/much. :?:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Just to show that this is not an unusual occurrence, there is a site dedicated to the male-hen ups, perpetrated by the Japanese

http://www.engrish.com/

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the link, greybeard! :D It was funny.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

The misuse of language is a two way street. In the case of non-English speakers/readers messing up a sign or a menu or whatever it can be changed relatively easily. What I find hilarious are the non-Japanese or non-Chinese readers getting themselves tattooed with nonsensical or sometimes opposite meaning kanji/hanzi characters.

Have a look at the Hanzi Smatter blog - tattoos of "cheap wh0re", "die first, insult later" on a bag and as a tattoo, Lenovo laptop warranty information in Chinese on a T-shirt, etc. Pretty hilarious stuff. I sometimes have to be careful to not laugh out loud when I see some of these in person.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Great web sites!

Hey...okay...here I was in Papeete, Tahiti...trying my BEST to find a store that would sell me a pearl for my wife. Nope. It must've been a Grand Siesta National Holiday because nuthin' was open. I mean nuthin'! And I was plenty pissed off that door after door had the the same sign up that read "opani"...but ALL were closed, anyway.

Guess what??? "Opani" means CLOSED in Tahitian!!!

Cat

(Sheesh!)

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2