Clear all

Pickups?

14 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

What are some good, but cheap, pickups? I'm looking for ones that can play anything, and ones that can play metal. Right now I'm running some ibanez pickups that were "Designed" by emg....They're still the crappy ibanez ones. (basically they need to play rock, metal, blues, and some softer stuff.)

Anyone wanna help me out? Thanks a bunch!

blah.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

"Good but cheap" = GFS

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

+1 for GFS! Google them!

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Is that site reliable? What pickups do you recommend from them?

Any pickups you recommend that I can pickup at musiciansfriend? (looking for humbuckers)

blah.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I have bought 2 sets of pickups there. I can tell you they are very good, but not the kind of pickups you are looking for. Go to their website and pick which one are described as the kind you want. Then go check the reviews at Harmony Central for that particular pickup. The GFS brand will cost you half (or less) than other well known brands like Seymour Duncan, etc. And, they will be good pickups!

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Guitar+Pickup/brand/GFS+Pickups

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Check these out, might be what you are looking for:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/crpafhiouhuc.html

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The problem I'm having is finding one that is fit for a metal style....Are any of them made to crank out the distortion? Otherwise, can anyone recommend a brand from musicians friend or any other major website?

blah.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

EMGs are the standard for metal - but they are EXPENSIVE. Also, they require batteries and a complete rewiring of your axe.

Name some guitar players you want to sound like, and I can do a better job helping.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

GFS Bigmouth = moderately high output but still very clear; the GFS Loudmouth is kick-butt. For metal, a Bigmouth in the neck and a Loudmouth in the bridge would be very versatile. For even heavier styles, two Loudmouths.

Otherwise go to Dimarzio's website and check out their high-output choices. As CFB says they're about twice the price. Higher-end Ibanez guitars come with Dimarzios. Excellent pickups.

There's also the Seymour Duncan Invader.

By the way, are your "EMGs" active or passive? If they are active, then get a real set of EMGs, and you won't have to worry about changing the pots and jack. If they are passive, then any quality passive pickups will do.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

EMG's are way too expensive for me, so anything but those are good.

People I would like to sound like:
Metal:
Killswitch Engage!!!!! (Closest I can get without Emg's...Although there sound comes from there Mesa Boogies)
Metallica
Pantera
MachineHead
lots of other stuff...
Other(if possible with new pickups):
Ratm
nirvana
Red hot Chili Peppers
Bullet for my valentine
Lots of other stuff...

The Fake "EMG's" on my guitar are passive...I'll checkout the other ones you recommend.

Here's my guitar btw, in the white finish.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_ibanez_re2ex1_electric_guitar?full_sku=103382115

blah.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Dude, EMGs are fine, but you can get that metal sound with any pickup and the right pedal.

I have these in my Hamer Standard and they SHRIEK!! At this price you can try them and throw'em away if they suck. I've bougt a bunch of stuff from GFS, they won't rip you off.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/hexovmepiblm.html

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I for one do not have Emg's on my guitar....they say they are designed by emg but they are nothing like emg's. Wow, that seems like a great deal so I might as well pick up a pair of those.

On a different forum someone suggested that I just need the right pedals. He recommended a multi-effect digitech rp-80, I have most of those effects on my current amp, so I may just get a distortion pedal to mess around with all the amps I have access too, since my uncle is a complete guitar junky.

blah.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

He recommended a multi-effect digitech rp-80, I have most of those effects on my current amp, so I may just get a distortion pedal to mess around with all the amps I have access too, since my uncle is a complete guitar junky.

Yeah, I think getting a distortion pedal or an amp with a good overdrive channel would be good. I have the digitech rp-80 and it is... not the worst thing in the world :lol: ... seriously though it has some surprisingly good amp models that sound good through my cheap yamaha practice amp (blackface, tweed, AC30, fuzz, rectifier and acoustic are all quality sounds, especially for the price and considering it's solid state), but it is extremely limited: you can only use a delay, reverb, wah-wah, E.Q and a ONE modulation effect at a single time. As well, I find the noise-gate and the compression to be very sub-par, all the other effects are decent but limited.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I think If i got a multi-effects pedal I would either get a rp-150 or a rp-200. I hear the distortion isn't that great on them, so that is my main problem.

blah.

ReplyQuote