Clear all

Piezo Pickups?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I test drove an Epiphone LP Ultra II last year. Pretty much a lighter version of what I have already except for one thing. A piezo pickup in the bottom of the neck. It was not an acoustic guitar tone, but it did give out some acoustic style tones. Pretty impressive to me.

I looked online and see that Fishman makes some replacement bridges with piezo pickups in them. I looked on YouTube at a couple of demos. Sounds pretty good to me. Digging a little more and I saw some interesting DIY type of projects done with acoustic guitars. Some guy had $7.52 into his project with was putting a little pieze pickup onto his guitar and soldering the wires to a jack. Was not too shabby for what it was.

At any rate, aside from Fishman, are there any good ways to mod an electric with a Piezo? Any other companies that are good?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Graphtec makes piezo replacement saddles and bridges for electrics.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks gnease. Those look mighty impressive.

There was another one I saw. It was mounted to a cement block. Sounded pretty good, but it also ran through some effects. Would have liked to hear it straight up. That company's version is like 2X $$ of Fishman and Graphtec, unless I missed something.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Just an addition, a few more choices from L.R. Baggs, with some electrified guitar bridges to match and fit.

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/Brand/L.R.Baggs.html?gclid=CLKOnteslaACFRDxDAody3DMdw

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote