Clear all

Pink Floyd

30 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

^^Jugband Blues is ammmmmaaaazzing... I love that song so much, and it has so much meaning in the lyrics.

And yea...I love Meddle (see my avatar)...Obscured by Clouds as well. Those two albums dont get the credit they deserve. On Meddle, everyone talks about Echoes...but no credit goes towards any of the other songs it seems, especially Falling.

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Just a tip for you Kevin...knowing now that you love Floyd and Hendrix there is a pcture of them together in Syd's biography.Sadly I only found these little copy in the net. Enjoy!

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Just a tip for you Kevin...knowing now that you love Floyd and Hendrix there is a pcture of them together in Syd's biography.Sadly I only found these little copy in the net. Enjoy!

Wow. >_> I've never seen that picture. I see Waters, Wright, Mason, Hendrix, Mitchell, Redding...but I don't see Barrett in there.

It's funny...you know you're obsessed when you get excited over a picture. Heh, I guess I'm obsessed.

Thanks for the pic.

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Yes ,this is a good one. Actually Syd do appear in the extreme right part of the picture ,behind Waters,but this copy sadly cuts in the middle of his face (Syd is the Dark Side of the Pic LOL).

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

The pic is from Nick's autobiography. (has there been one on Syd?). I don't have my copy handy, but I believe that the pic was post-Syd. Very cool pic all the same. The name of the book is "Inside Out" by Nick Mason, cover by Storm Thorgerson (or however you spell it - you know, the guy that did most of their album covers) and is a really great read if you dig Floyd (which you do). There are tons of old photographs in it (apparently Nick was sort of the band recordkeeper), and the printing is very well done, thick glossy paper and stuff. Good collectible for the Floyd fan. When it first came out you could find lots of hardcover / signed copies on ebay, from England. The US edition is paperback only. But man, shipping a 3lb hardcover book from the UK is expensive...
TZ

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Definitely it was not post Syd...he is the one behind Waters,with the same long haircut as the Jugband Blues video, but this copy cuts in his face...well Syd's book is not an autobiography but a biography.Its tilte is Crazy Diamond and it is definitely worth reading.
You can find it in amazon. Here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/Syd-Barrett-Crazy-Diamond-Floyd/dp/0711988358

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

^^^Of course not. Jimi died in 1970, and that tour was in 1967, when Syd was still in the band.

Oh and you got me interested in the book. >_> I might buy it.

ReplyQuote
(@6was9)
Trusted Member

Pink Floyd and Jimi.......two of my favorites.

" I'm not sure what happened, it was tuned when I bought it."

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Also, do you think "Inside Out" is a good read? (Nick Mason book)

I might buy both, not sure though.

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

Sweet, hadn't seen the Syd biography, might have to check it out. Good call on the contents of the photograph, of course the dates make sense that way. And yeah, looking at it now, Syd's been cut out of the little tiny pic that was posted here. Plainly visible in the full copy though.
TZ

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Oddly enough I like Pink Floyd but I don't. I don't really like how some of their songs drag on, for example I just bought "Wish you were here" and I listened to the first track "Shine on you crazy diamond", which I really like... after it goes through a 7 minute (or close to 7 minutes at least) introduction that I don't think serves any purpose. Not all there songs are like that and so I have to say that I do like them.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

My dear friend:you already should know that great music has to be appreciated with further listens. It will grown in you. (By the way I was com pletely bored the first time I listened to Shine on...).

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Lol if you don't have the attention span for SoYcD, you'd hate Echoes (24 minutes), and Atom Heat Mother (26 minutes).

What about Dark Side of the moon? Us and Them is about 7 minutes, as is Time. Both being fantastic songs.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Don't forget that taste matters. I like SoYCD but plenty of people don't, including many people who listen to much longer pieces. Not appreciating a song doesn't mean the song is bad or the listener has no attention span, it merely means that at this point in the listener's life the song just doesn't do 'it'. Which is cool because otherwise the world could do with only one record.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

^^^Of course.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2