6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Has anyone done this ?

What sort of thrill is it ?

My son and I are still learning , but we practice a bit together thats' awesome , but to actually play a song and sing with them can you describe the feeling ?

I stumbled across this as was looking for Brown eyed Girl so I could watch someones hands ..

This is my goal to play this song before years end , I have the chords David told me the strum patten now I just have to some way work it all out ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwImHLfL8q8&mode=related&search=

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

My grandson and I take lessons together. That in itself is a thrill - watching him progress.

Several years ago, his mom (my little girl) got married. I had hired my guitar teacher's band for the reception and he and I played a song together. I was trying to talk my grandson into playing with us, but he didn't have the confidence (very early in his lessons). It's a shame, it was a thrill for me. (I'm sure less of one for the audience, though.)

Since then, my grandson and I have played 'Happy Birthday' together for his younger sister and brother. That could qualify as the most fun I've ever had. The first time was such a thrill for me, he sounded so good, that I found myself stumbling over the chords I was playing. It's a good thing we didn't have time for any sound check since all the audience could hear was him. (phew).

Sorry, but no I can't describe the feeling beyond having to dry my eyes when it was over. I do consider myself very lucky to have shared that first experience with him. I was so proud of him, he was relaxed and enjoying himself. Then I looked over at his mom and saw the look on her face - wow!

He's 10 now and his confidence is growing, so I'm looking forward to more chances to play with him. Great incentive for me to practice harder.

You'll have a ball playing with him - something to really look forward to.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

(I've posted this before)

When she was 11, my daughter wrote some lyrics and came up with a bass line, so I helped her record a song. Her singing ... well, it pretty much sounds like an 11-y-o's. The Riverside Jammers were gracious enough to join me in backing her when we performed it three summers ago.

Alpha-Omega

(Recommend 'right click and save as' for best results.)

It was all fun. Now, my daughter is 14 and as expected has all those 'other interests.'

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

My 9 year old son has been playing guitar for a couple years and he's really been making some good progress lately. He picks stuff up amazingly fast. We bring our guitars camping all the time.

We can do "Friend of the Devil", "Rockey Raccoon", "Rivers of Babylon", "Knocking on Heaven's Door". Plus a bunch of songs in his books like "Red River Valley" type stuff and a lot of partial songs. We can do the beginning of "Free Bird". He plays the slide and I do the chords. On most of the songs, I play chords and he does the riffs and/or melody.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

after reading papajohn's post, I don't see any way you could NOT learn to play with him :D

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

My kids, playing with us, and Nick, and gnease's daughter (trumpet). Riverside Jam 2005.

http://www.cyberlaz.com/RJ2K5Set3.htm

ReplyQuote