Notifications
Clear all

Please listen to your heart..literally!

52 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

One of the things I struggled with wasn't a physical problem but issues with anxiety. When I got my job, I found myself anxious all the time. It's enough to drive anyone insane. I spoke with my Employee Assistance Program. They figured I was highly sensitive to my environment and recommended a book about sensitive people. It said people like me were highly creative, usually have a natural ability for art and music, good mentors and advisors. It was some help, but my job doesn't let me do any of that. After that, I decided to see my doctor, who thought I had an anxiety disorder as well as a social anxiety. He gave me some excercises to help balance my thinking, which has helped.

It's still there, and it's something I've realized that I have to learn to live with. It's nothing compared to a heart problem, but it's a considerable hurdle for me nonetheless. What I've learned from it is to never define myself by my weaknesses.

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

One of the things I struggled with wasn't a physical problem but issues with anxiety. When I got my job, I found myself anxious all the time. It's enough to drive anyone insane. I spoke with my Employee Assistance Program. They figured I was highly sensitive to my environment and recommended a book about sensitive people. It said people like me were highly creative, usually have a natural ability for art and music, good mentors and advisors. It was some help, but my job doesn't let me do any of that. After that, I decided to see my doctor, who thought I had an anxiety disorder as well as a social anxiety. He gave me some excercises to help balance my thinking, which has helped.

It's still there, and it's something I've realized that I have to learn to live with. It's nothing compared to a heart problem, but it's a considerable hurdle for me nonetheless. What I've learned from it is to never define myself by my weaknesses.

OWA - You shouldn't sell anxiety disorder short...they can be serious.

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

OWA - You shouldn't sell anxiety disorder short...they can be serious.
OWA, I agree with Jimh on this. While physically not the same thing, it can be as serious and debilitating. I hope that you can find the balance you're looking for. Hey, who knows maybe your dream of being in a band will happen soon and you won't have to worry about your current job. If nothing else, it may be enough of the creative outlet you need.

Best of luck to you and let us know how you're doing.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Wow, what a thread! I have been a cardiac nurse for over 10 years and have seen lots of people before, during , and after heart attacks. My best advice is that if you even THINK you may be having chest pain get it checked out immediately :!: That denial thing is very expensive :cry: I've seen 38 year olds who looked like the model for the Bow-Flex commercial drop dead, and 50 year old fat guys (like me :oops: ) have perfectly clear coronary arteries. It has a lot to do with genes as much as it does with diet and exorcise.Both are important :wink:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

Wow, what a thread! I have been a cardiac nurse for over 10 years and have seen lots of people before, during , and after heart attacks. My best advice is that if you even THINK you may be having chest pain get it checked out immediately :!: That denial thing is very expensive :cry: I've seen 38 year olds who looked like the model for the Bow-Flex commercial drop dead, and 50 year old fat guys (like me :oops: ) have perfectly clear coronary arteries. It has a lot to do with genes as much as it does with diet and exorcise.Both are important :wink:

he's so right. My doctors look at me and wonder how I had heart problems. I am in very good physical shape, but genetically, I'm a steam roller for a heart attack, as my primary physician put it.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

he's so right. My doctors look at me and wonder how I had heart problems. I am in very good physical shape, but genetically, I'm a steam roller for a heart attack, as my primary physician put it.

True.

There's no doubt that the best move you can make in life is to arrange to be born to the right parents, with good genes (it can help if they have smarts and money as well....).

I had a friend who was built like a barrel, and his doctor would shake his head in wonder each year after giving his heart the thumbs up again. :? But he was a very energetic man, almost manic, and I think he just burned his arteries clean with sheer energy! :) And of course, there's other things like diabetes that can get you if the arteries don't, so a bit of fitness and weight control is always good.

On a general note..

My wife reckons that the formula for success is a mixture of good genes, good eating and exercise, plus a good attitude. The genes you can't do much about, but you can work on the other three.

One thing you find when you're unwell, overweight or general in poor shape is that you can get a sort of overall sluggishness that flows right through you - body and mind. When I lost weight last year, I found that one of the things that was helpful was to start acting as if I was already fitter and lighter. Just being more enthusiastic, energetic and positive seemed to have a sort of tandem effect. I started moving better, feeling more cheerful and 'ready to go' etc. That produced more natural 'round the house' type exercise, and that in turn lead to feeling better. And round it went. There actually is a chemical underpinning to the way you act and feel - depending on how the body is releasing various hormones and stuff - and you really can make a big difference naturally, not just to your physical well-being but how good you feel too. :)

I have a great father in law who's in his mid eighties. He's also fairly barrel shaped naturally. His continued survival seems to be a blend of good genes, attentive surgeons and great attitude. If you ask him how he is he always replies "Any fitter and I'd be dangerous".... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Wow, what a thread! I have been a cardiac nurse for over 10 years and have seen lots of people before, during , and after heart attacks. My best advice is that if you even THINK you may be having chest pain get it checked out immediately :!:

This is very true smokindog. My problem was that doctors since I was in my early 30's told me that I was too young for heart trouble. I have my medical records from when I was in the Air Force and no fewer than four doctors (3 Air Force and 1 Army) told me it wasn't heart pain. I was on my fourth civilian doctor and after complaining of shortness of breath, etc. did an EKG in his office and sent me right to the cardiologist. My cardiologist and some of the nurses agreed that my pains were not necessarily "typical" heart pains, but said that it's different for a lot of people.

My pains were and always have been on the left side of my chest and the only way I can describe it is a semi-sharp "grabbing" pain that would come and go.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

My cardiologist and some of the nurses agreed that my pains were not necessarily "typical" heart pains, but said that it's different for a lot of people.

My pains were and always have been on the left side of my chest and the only way I can describe it is a semi-sharp "grabbing" pain that would come and go.

And recent information says that many women experience cardiac pain significantly differently than men, so heart problems can go undetected or be misdiagnosed.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

That's true, Margaret. In my particular case, it kind of begins with me feeling like I'm just having to work harder to get a full breath. Then, either my left jaw or my left wrist starts to ache (and sometimes I get a little nauseous), then it begins to feel like I have a "band" around my chest that gets tighter and tighter, then the real pain starts. That's when I grab my nitroglycerine and pop one under my tongue. If that one doesn't work after five minutes, I pop another one under my tongue. If that one doesn't work after five minutes, I pop one more, chew an aspirin and dial 911 and hope the paramedics get here in time.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

That's when I grab my nitroglycerine and pop one under my tongue. If that one doesn't work after five minutes, I pop another one under my tongue. If that one doesn't work after five minutes, I pop one more, chew an aspirin and dial 911 and hope the paramedics get here in time.
I hope it never gets to that point, EB! I have an arrhythmia which can be disturbing (and resulted in a couple of ambulance rides before being controlled by medication), but it's not painful. Good thing, cuz I'm a wimp. :oops: :? :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

That's when I grab my nitroglycerine and pop one under my tongue. If that one doesn't work after five minutes, I pop another one under my tongue. If that one doesn't work after five minutes, I pop one more, chew an aspirin and dial 911 and hope the paramedics get here in time.
I hope it never gets to that point, EB! I have an arrhythmia which can be disturbing (and resulted in a couple of ambulance rides before being controlled by medication), but it's not painful. Good thing, cuz I'm a wimp. :oops: :? :D

Margaret

It's definitely one of the most intense pains I've ever felt. I hope you never have to experience it!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

My brother-in-law who is a cardiologist told me quitting smoking is 100 times more important than diet. Those of you who face the heart dilemma and can't make yourself quit smoking should talk to your doctor about a smoking cessation medication called Chantix. It works. believe me.
I've been getting more positive feedback from patients using Chantix than any previous aid to quitting smoking. It seems to really be great stuff.

I haven't been reading this thread since the first few posts and have just caught up. Man, I'm sorry to hear how much trouble some of y'all have been having!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

My brother-in-law who is a cardiologist told me quitting smoking is 100 times more important than diet. Those of you who face the heart dilemma and can't make yourself quit smoking should talk to your doctor about a smoking cessation medication called Chantix. It works. believe me.
I've been getting more positive feedback from patients using Chantix than any previous aid to quitting smoking. It seems to really be great stuff.

I haven't been reading this thread since the first few posts and have just caught up. Man, I'm sorry to hear how much trouble some of y'all have been having!

The only pitfalls to Chantix I found are the side effects. Light-headedness, nausea, weakness. But it does work.

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Response to OWA: anxiety problems kept me from sleeping, and ended up giving me a real scare a few years ago. While at work, I felt one afternoon like I had been punched in the head, and then spent the rest of the day in extreme slow motion. Next day, the dr did some tests and then asked "are you stressed?" "Oh yeah." He put me on Xanax. Now I'm on Clozonepalm (I think that's how you spell it). I take it at night, and can sleep all night. Works! (I also changed jobs, that place was EVIL!)

Take care of that anxiety, get some rest, drink less cafine and sodas and drink more water.

hmm, what's with the please don't spam edit when I write Xanax?

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

hmm, what's with the please don't spam edit when I write please don't spam?

LOL! We have quite a bit of trouble keeping spammers out of here, and some of the worst spammers are those selling drugs over the internet. So, there is a filter in place that takes the names of some of the more common drugs listed in the spammer's lists that changes them to things like "please don't spam". Your Clonazepam isn't on that filter list, but, evidently the first one you named was. I'm betting it started and ended with an X (or it's generic form begins with Alpraz)? I know this because I'm on them, too! But, I don't buy them over the internet!!! And, you're right! They're absolute life savers! I had a lot more angina episodes before I started taking them than I do now.

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4