Clear all

Plenty to Lose

523 Posts
57 Users
0 Reactions
80.9 K Views
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Good job, Nick! That's a healthy amt to lose per week and more likely to stay off.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

that's your problem Nick - no commitment!!!!

We smokers-who-vowed-to-pack-in have generally stuck to it (it'll cost me £365 at the end of the year, but what the heck!

Some of the losers (in the nicest posssible sense of course) have continued to post and let us know how they've got on.....hell, I hope you all get down to the ideal weight you set yourselves, which is roughly twice my weight - and I'm 6'5".....

Only joking lads, and lasses, prove me wrong and laugh in my face at the end of the year.....

I really hope you do......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

well, I havent gained but I havent lost. But then again what Vic was teasin Nick about is very true for me. I havent been committed.

Yesterday I once again started logging what I eat. This seems to be the best help for me. I also started using Salt-lite cause its half the sodium and I've been drinking more water.

Havent been posting much on the subject though, cause it makes me feel guilty.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I read through a bunch of posts here, and all I can say is that the Guitar Noise forum could kick the crap out of any other website's users. I think we average 6'2" 215. That's a hockey team, my friends.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

dali lama~ u crack me up sometimes :P

i know it sounds like a lame excuse but i have osteo-arthritis in my lower back and it causes a pinch on my sciatic nerve at times which makes it very hard for me to do any exersize. the last two weeks it has been flaring up quite a bit so i have been taking it easy. at least i haven't gained any
i have noticed tho that as i have been firming up a bit on the new exersize bike, that the pain is less frequent and not as severe. hopefully as i lose more weight it will become less painfull or go away altogether.

promised schwinn 213 recumbent exersize bike review.

i love this bike. one of my favorite things is the ability to pick from a wide variety of both preset programs and ones you set for yourself. one of my favs is a calorie goal program. i can lose 200 calories in 29 minutes with much less strain on my lower back

if anyone is in the market for equipment i highly recommend this product.

features;~
Feature Detail:

Magnetic resistance system
Computer controlled drive system
Sixteen levels of resistance
Recumbent Bio-Fit Comfort wide seat has a dual position lumbar support seat back and side bolsters
Ten profile courses with calorie goal, body mass index (BMI) measurement, time trial with pacer, two custom user-defined programs, three heart rate programs, recovery test, results mode, fitness test, quick start, and manual mode
Backlit LCD computer display shows time, interval time, RPM, watts, distance, pulse, speed, calories, resistance, and alpha-numeric prompts
Wide comfort Schwinn Bio-Fit pedals with 1 millimeter inclination/3-piece crank with sealed bearing BB
Recumbent handlebars with integrated grip heart rate sensors and micro-adjustable fore/aft console slider
Adjustable louver fan to keep you cool during your workout
Integrated coin/key tray
Reading rack and magazine holder for ultimate convenience
Bottle holders positioned under the seat within easy reach
Transport wheels with integrated seat rail transport handles for portability
Product dimensions: 58 inches long by 26 inches wide by 52 inches tall (147 by 66 by 132 centimeters)
Product weight: 108 pounds/49 kilograms
Maximum user weight: 300 pounds/136 kilograms
Power requirement: AC Adapter
Integrated magazine holder on seat back

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Like Nick, it's been a while since I've been on this thread. Unlike the "UberMod," though, I've managed to gain back everything I've lost and now I'm starting from scratch.

While I'd love to blame this on a lot of things it's more a matter of what Vic says, not being committed. I truly need to think as much about this as I do about writing and playing, making it a natural part of my everyday life.

So expect to see more reports from me and feel free to PM me if I don't post at least once a week! Thanks for all the support and congrats to everyone (non-smokers, too!) for sticking to their goals. You are my inspiration.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Hey everyone glad to see you are back on track. I have not posted for awhile because there didn't seem to be any interest. However that may be a mistake as regular posting from everyone may help keep us all focussed. From now on I will try to post on a regular basis too. As of now I am down 17 lbs since New Years but must say the last couple of weeks I have flattened out (no pun intended) Now a tad under 185 but have gotten complacent with my losses and have twelve more to go to reach my goal by May 1. Talk to you again Monday. KEEP AT IT!!!!
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Subway Turkey wrap, not bad for lunch

Last night Boca burgers X 2 on a Pepperidge farm Carb Style Bun AND Boca Bratwust.

I don't know if anyone does weightwatchers points, but those fit nicely in a day and they taste pretty darn good.

The keys for me so far are:

1. Don't eat STUPID food. KFC double crunch sandwich is stupid. KFC chicken breast minus skin is smart.

2. Rethink portion size. Four thin mint cookies is okay. One tube of them is not. Two slices of pizza is okay. Half a pan pizza is not.

3. Exercise is cool. I'm walking 40 minutes every evening.

4. Think about how hungry you are before you eat.

5. Don't watch TV while you eat. Take the time to think about what you are doing. Slow down while you eat.

ReplyQuote
 P0RR
(@p0rr)
Estimable Member

Enjoy every sandwich....

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

As PORR suggests, you can't lose weight if you have a bent metabolism. Diabetes, wacky thyroid, and other things can derail the best diets.

Nick, I thought that once you opened a tube of Thin Mints you were required to eat them all, as they go bad after 15 minutes. On the side of the box it says "Servings per container: 2".

Better than the Nilla Wafers, which require that you eat the entire box in one sitting.

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Laz wrote: I thought that once you opened a tube of Thin Mints you were required to eat them all, as they go bad after 15 minutes. On the side of the box it says "Servings per container: 2".

Better than the Nilla Wafers, which require that you eat the entire box in one sitting.
VERRRRY funny! But I have about a third of a tube of Thin Mints sitting on my desk, and you are not helping at all!

And to Nick's 5 very smart principles, I'll add one more. If you think you're hungry, try drinking a glass of water first. You may actually be thirsty instead.

Keep it up, everyone! Spring is around the corner (for those of us in the northern hemisphere) and we are going to enjoy it a little bit more with a little less tonnage to drag around.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Good job Nick, with the Boca burgers and brats. My daughter is vegetarian and I don't do a whole lotta meat, either, so we keep a supply of Boca (and similar products in other brands, as they all have their own taste) on hand.

I also recommend several of the Morningstar Farms veggie meat substitutes. We love the Grillers Soy Crumbles as an alternative to burger in chili, tacos, lasagna, etc. Their fake chicken patties and nuggets are good, too.

Quorn brand fake chicken cutlets are more expensive, but excellent, as well.

Want to tell you about a recent discovery--a guilt-free dip for snacks such as raw veggies or baked tortilla chips. It's hommus (also spelled hummus). I really like the all-natural Basha brand I got at the health food co-op. Comes in several flavors--I got the original flavor.

It's a dip/spread made of chick peas, only 50 cals per serving, no saturated fat, no cholesterol, 3 g. of protein, 3 g. of fiber, 0 g. of sugar. Only good fats (soya, canola, olive) in it. Healthy and satisfying alternative to chip dip or cheese dip. Yum!

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I remember trying to eat a Boca burger (or some other meatless burger.) I ended up putting cheese, lettuce, mayonaise, ketch-up, mustard, pickels and onions on it to try to cover up the taste. It didn't work. I just took the "burger" off and had a pretty good cheese sandwich.

I can eat a turkey burger, though...

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I seem to defy the laws of physics, astro-biology and weight-watchers. I've started jogging on a treadmill, my wife's bought a hula hoop (yes, I know), I eat sensibly - and the more I do it the more weight I gain - this is totally ridiculous. Since I started I've gained 4Kg.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

greybeard wrote: and the more I do it the more weight I gain

Don't get hung up on the scale as it can sabotage your motivation. You may be replacing fat with muscle, which weighs way more (I've heard 3X more).

If you/I/we truly eat healthily and exercise, your health will improve. Your clothes will get looser, you will have more energy, be less prone to injury, illness and disease. I'm sure you know all this.

Just eliminate the weigh-ins for a while and down the road you'll be pleasantly surprised when you do hop on the scale. :D

Margaret

ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 35