Plenty to Lose

523 Posts
57 Users
0 Likes
80.3 K Views
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

It's ghost page time again.

You noticed that too? I thought maybe I broke the website..

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Darn it, how many posts do you have to make for it to go over?
At least one more.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Hi Margaret, Sorry for not checking in for a while, so hot in the computer room lately, can't believe it's only a few weeks since I checked in seems more like 3 months with all the happenings on the homefront,
anyways keeping up the exercise and healthy foods. Scales don't seem to be shifting much, at least there not going up and up! Had a few long hikes. Just doing salads and such at the moment. Got some chocolates for St Valentines which am valiantly sharing around.

How are you doing with your last 7 or so pounds Margaret? I read somewhere you have to drop the calories down to 1,200 for women to shift the last bit of weight, guess you could do it just twice a week if you were happy to lose it slowly, it seems a bit stringent, on the other hand you could just increase the exercise time.

Cheerio til next time :)
Ooohh, hot summer sounds nice right now, Violet. Today I think it was about 20 degrees F and felt like a heat wave compared to what we've been having. :D Sounds like you're doing well with the exercise and healthy eating.

I haven't had any significant losses lately, but haven't expected to, either. I'm walking 45 minutes to an hour daily, and don't really have time to extend that session. Once it gets nicer outside I can add some evening walks/bike rides and burn a few more calories. I suppose I could short myself on food a couple days a week, but that doesn't sound too fun, really. I don't want to start feeling deprived, or I might go bingeing on a box of chocolates. :twisted:

I know that I should be doing weight training, stretching and working specific muscle groups to make my workout more complete, but I just can't seem to stick to those parts of a regimen. :?

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

So just checking in .. I'm down 12 pounds so far (not a bad start!) and have started working with a personal trainer . . .

I think "personal trainer" is just the pc term for "sadistic f'ing bastard" . . .

But I'm definitely making a lot more progress with him than without him, so I pay to be abused . . . I'm a sick, sick man :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

So just checking in .. I'm down 12 pounds so far (not a bad start!) and have started working with a personal trainer . . .

I think "personal trainer" is just the pc term for "sadistic f'ing bastard" . . .

But I'm definitely making a lot more progress with him than without him, so I pay to be abused . . . I'm a sick, sick man :)
:lol:

That is great, KP! Congratulations! Keep up the good work.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Thanks Margaret, yes I'm trying to be grateful for the free saunas, and I know I'll miss being able to go to the beach when "winter" comes around again here.
Glad your doing well with your program, keep up the good work, and KP also. :)

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

Hey guys. I recently joined a 10 week program consisting of Fitness Kickboxing (2 times a week), High Intensity Weight Training (once a week for 15-20 minutes) and a better diet. It not only helped me lose about 10 pounds, but helped me convert some fat to muscle - muscle requires more calories to maintain.

There's some serious science behind the program I've described and it's easy to do it yourself. For instance you can do another kind of cardio and calorie burning workout. You don't have to do kickboxing.

I recommend taking a look at http://www.burnthefat.com for information about a similar approach. Feel free to join his email newsletter. It does contain useful information and is not intrusive.

This is a very realistic approach to weight loss (actually fat loss since concentrating on weight loss is misleading). You decrease your caloric intake slightly, increase the amount of exercise reasonably, and finally do weight training once a week (And you can't do it more than that. Your muscles need time to rebuild). I think the most important piece of the puzzle - although all are important - is the weight training. You train your muscles to failure - i.e. do as many reps as you can and a few more until your muscles temporarily fail and cannot possibly do one more without taking a break and you do this slowly so as to not benefit from gravity. Once muscle fails in this way, your body will try to adapt "thinking" 'well.. if this is the way it's going to be from now on, i better build more muscle'.

The advantages are:

1) You eat. Just not the same things you used to all the time. So you don't feel starved. Ever. Might even end up eating more than usual to build muscle.
2) You get a better body tone.
3) It works ;)

I am very enthusiastic about this because I have seen it work. I can post my before/after stats in weight, body fat ratio and reps if anybody wants to know. Also at 5.11 and 185lbs I wasn't very overweight to start with. Keep that in mind when considering the 10 pounds in 10 weeks claim. Also. I took a break about a month ago and I'm maintaining the weight so far. Oh and I can do 30 push ups now compared to about 1.5 before :P

To all who are trying to lose weight. Kudos and keep it up.
oktay

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

I have a degree in Nutrition.

1: Write down EVERYTHING you eat for two to three weeks.
2: Calculate the caloric intake. Find out where most of it is coming from. You may be suprised. (Cutting out softdrinks and only drinking water is a great place to start. It's good for your teeth and kidneys, too)
3: DO NOT try any diets which claim significant weight loss in a short time span. Anything over 2 lbs a week is unhealthy. That may seem like nothing, but if you change your eating and exersize habits, and manage to consistantly loose 2 pounds a week, in two moths you will loose 16 pounds. There is a study where the fat rats and the skinny rats live longer than the rats that constantly loose and gain weight.
4: Watch the vitamins and protiens. Make sure you get enough. It's not expensive. Proteins: complimentary foods such as beans and rice or macaroni and cheese will give you all the necessary amino acids. (Although, mac and cheese is not really a "diet food").
5: Do everything in moderation.

Any questions, ask me. I'm no doctor, I've got lots of info.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

How's everybody doing with their fitness programs?

Adventurous vegetable of the week for me is the turnip. Tastes kind of like cabbage with the texture of a firm potato. Not bad with salt and pepper. Just be careful not to chop your finger off when cutting them up. They are HARD when raw. :!:

Back in February I got a new driver's license because my appearance has changed enough that store clerks and bank tellers were giving me suspicious looks when I'd use the license as ID to cash a check. So when I got the new license, I had to write down my weight, and I, ummm, pared a few more pounds off just to make it a nice round number, of course. :oops:

Well, I weighed in yesterday and I'm happy to say that for the first time in years my driver's license tells the truth! :D

Margaret

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Well done Margaret :D .

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I haven't done as well as some of y'all, but I'm back to being semi-good and slowly shedding a few more pounds. I've gotten rid of what I put on over the holidays and am down to a new low slightly under what I'd gotten to last fall when I was working at it.
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Well i'm not really into losing weight..
i've taken a break will be starting again this week. Up to 225 pounds from 165. Next stop 245 pounds. And that'll be good enough.

Minus.

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My doctor's been worried about my weight. I've had stress and anxiety problems which means a lack of appetite. Between having no appetite and my internal clock being messed up working nights, I keep forgetting meals. Been working on getting back on a schedule with a more balanced diet. Think I'm down to 123lbs or so.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

My doctor's been worried about my weight.

Then you should be too. I'm sure it's not always convenient, but a bad diet coupled with your stress/anxiety problems can't be a good mix. Eat up, and eat healthy!
Well, I weighed in yesterday and I'm happy to say that for the first time in years my driver's license tells the truth! :D

Congrats!

Well I've kept off around 10 lbs, but I now have a torn rotator cuff and will likely need surgery on my shoulder. No more martial arts for me. Gotta find something a little lower impact ... :x

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Ghost page problem seems to persist for this thread ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
Page 31 / 35