Clear all

Plenty to Lose

523 Posts
57 Users
0 Likes
80.3 K Views
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Glad to hear your dropping some pounds Ric. I got on the exercise band wagon a couple of years ago and dropped 35 lbs. I was up to 250 lbs. I seem to want to stay 210 to 215 now though. I guess thats OK as I am a big boy like yourself. I was doing eliptical trainer and tread mill but have taken up kayaking. 5 miles a day in the kayak is a lot more fun than running on a tread mill.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

So anyway, I'm holding it under 190 (I'm 6'), but I'd like to get down between 175-180. IT'S ROUGH!

That's very impressive under the circumstances! :D

My wife's a great cook as well (and I'm not too bad). My downfall was always that we'd both always cook enough for 3 instead of 2. And I just couldn't resist doing a "community service" on the leftovers by "tidying them up".... :roll:

I'm an inch or more shorter than you but I eventually got it down to 170lbs, or a tad under. It does require a lot of vigilence though. When I gave up smoking many years ago it was tough for a month or two and easy ever since. Can't stand the thought of it now. But you can't give up food and completely remove it from your life, only reduce and alter what you eat. So it's something you always have to keep any eye on. We now keep to a pretty cautious system during the week (high quality and taste but smallish amounts) and then relax on the weekends. It was her birthday party last Saturday so I blew a pound or two on goodies and drink... :twisted: But I've already got rid of most of it. No way either of us are going to let the work we put in a year or so ago go to waste now. Or should that be "go to waist now"... :wink:

Good luck.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'd do better with the weight loss if I were walking more. My late night neighborhood walks have been rather drastically decreased lately. A month ago I suddenly had the feeling that I was being watched and stalked, in the section where I previously ran into the bear. Spooked me badly. As I've said, I'm not afraid of the bear, and the bear wouldn't stalk me. (Though I did get a similar warning feeling just before the bear jumped out in front of me.) But I did have the thought, with nothing objective to base it on, "What if a mountain lion's out here?" (I've known of scattered reliable sightings around here for 35 years.) I kept my head on a swivel as I hurried through that dark lonely woodsy stretch, as cats don't like to attack something that's looking at them. I've avoided walking up in that section at night since, and I haven't walked after dark with my iPod in since. Yesterday a managerial lady with whom I work quietly told me that she and her husband both saw a mountain lion recently on their property in the knobs near where I live. I hadn't told her of my experience. She'd told a state wildlife agent, who dismissed the possibility and said she must have seen a groundhog. She found that quite hilarious. The official line is to deny the possibility of the big cats' presence, I suspect the intent being both to prevent unnecessarily panicking the public and to protect individuals of a recovering endangered species.

The "lions" are out there. No need to panic, but caution is in order. A great way to get attacked is to be out wandering alone as I was, apparently unaware and inattentive, then do something like stop and bend down to retie your shoe. The classic attack is from above and behind, with a swift bite to the neck. They like to break the neck. Cats don't like to attack something that's looking at them, which is why field workers in India (where there are tigers) wear hats with faces painted on the back, and why I kept my head swiveling around looking all around behind me when I got the feeling of being watched and stalked.

This evening I went out on a shortened neighborhood walk before it got dark. Ran into deer on the way out, which I was happy to see. One was standing in a yard, waiting on the others; I'd gotten in the way of the herd procession and disturbed the following ones. (Interesting thing, retrospectively: they were headed out of the woods into the suburbs as it got dark.) I stopped and visited with a neighbor who'd been in the hospital and came back a bit after dark. Heard a big ruckus up on the ridge as I came through a lonely stretch where the bear has been known to cross. A panicked doe came scrambling down the bank out of the woods, obviously fleeing for her life from something. Stopped briefly when she got to me, then fled like Seabiscuit past me leaving me to plod on through the Valley of the Shadow of Death in the darkness with whatever was after her. I got that hair raising feeling again. (Don't actually need hair to get it.) Not a happy few minutes. I think I'll rearrange my walking schedule. And those old long nights spent peering through a telescope alone are not on my future agenda.
:shock:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Great post Ric. :)

I think I lost several ounces just reading it. My leg muscles seemed to want to start running, just in case..... :shock:

Make sure you stay safe - getting chunks bitten off you is too drastic a way to lose weight. :cry: And we need you here.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hmm, if I had a choice of weight gain or possible death, hmmm, I'm all for staying alive! You must live out in the country with all those wild animals.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Suburban, woodsy. I sat out on my front porch this evening puffing on my pipe, stroking the kitty, watching the hummingbird feeding right in front of me, the woodpeckers, cardinals, jays, doves, starlings, etc. feeding in the tree out in the yard, and a small herd of deer (a four point buck and three does) feeding on the bank across the road. I took the bird feeders and cat food in before dark to frustrate the marauding raccoons, which have pestered me enough lately that I'm plotting to trap the four principal offenders and move them across town to the city park. (They'll love it there.)

My wife now tells me she's heard the "lion" scream up on the ridge behind the house, BTW. That's the direction the chased doe was coming from the other night.

I'm making this sound more threatening than it really is. It's more accurate to say that I was being "watched and followed" than stalked. Cats are very curious creatures, and I've often been followed by bobcats when out in the woods. They'd circle all around, just out of flashlight range. But an Eastern suburban mountain lion is quite an unexpected novelty, and something big enough to take down a deer with a single bite is definitely to be respected. That prey warning feeling is a powerful instinct that can't be ignored!
:shock:

It's amazing to me how wildlife has rebounded in my lifetime. When I was a kid, there weren't any deer or bears to be found. (Let alone mountain lions!) Hunters went on trips to find game to pursue. Now the critters are everywhere, and they've adapted to the human encroachment into their territory. We've got to adapt to the reverse "encroachment." They were here first, after all.

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Still sounds a bit dangerous though Ricochet - Margaret's solution of the treadmaster is bebinning to win me over ,plus they've got some cheaper ones on the market here now.
I thought that was a bit invasive how you have toput your weight on your drivers license, we don't have to do that here - it's torture eough having the photo done - out in the middle of the throng of the waiting room, they get you to stand there with the camera swivilling around in all directions with light coming from all the most uncomplementary directions - in my current one I look bald, with a huge forehead and no division between the neck and the chin, and I'm stuck with it for 5 years :shock:

On the weight side I've managed to keep off the 7 lbs I lost but still have 7 to go to be in the correct BMI (body mass index)
with the study program my exercise has tapered off, but i run up the stairs as much as I can and try to get yoga in as it helps with stress so much,
best, V/A

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I've got to get back walking, lion or no lion.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Recently been doing yard work and chores for neighbors, just plain old being outside.

I almost fit into my old 36 shorts!

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've been getting into 36s lately!

The past week has seen some negative progress on the weight loss, however.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Hi, losers. And I mean that in the most complimentary sense. :D

I know you've been sitting around wondering what your current BMI (Body Mass Index) is, so here is an easy BMI calculator:

http://www.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT00NzU0NDUmcD0xJnU9NjczMjg5ODEmbGk9MTcwNDIyMw/index.html

In case the link doesn't work, you can calculate your BMI manually:

Multiply your weight (in pounds) by 703; divide that number by your height (in inches); divide that number again by your height in inches. The resulting number is your estimated BMI.

The American Heart Association says that a BMI of 18.5 - 24.9 is healthy and of low risk for heart disease and stroke, a BMI of 25 - 29.9 is overweight and of moderate risk, and a BMI of 30 or above indicates obesity and a high risk.

Hope your numbers are good! :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Ric,

Don't you have that big shotgun?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Got on the scales the other night....180!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Congratulations, Oenyaw! I had to look back to make sure 180 was a good thing for you (would hate to compliment you only to find out that 180 represented an upward trend :twisted: ) and saw that a couple months ago you said you wanted to get to 175-180. So you've made your goal!

I put my numbers through the BMI (Body Mass Index) calculator and was elated to find that my BMI has gone from 33.5 down to 23.2. :D Can I have a cookie?? Oh wait.....never mind. :roll:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats Oenyaw! And Margaret too.

I'm now down 22 since April. 90 to go.....

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 33 / 35