Notifications
Clear all

PRS se custom or Epiphone Les Paul?

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@thenewchance)
Topic starter  

Hey. I'm new to this forum, so if this is in the wrong section, I really apologize, moderators feel free to move this post. I've been playing guitar for about 1 1/2 years now, and I started out with a pretty low end guitar (I didn't want to spend that much money and risk not even liking guitar that much). Well, my worries are over about that, I love playing guitar, and I'm thinking of upgrading to a more "high end" guitar. I've been reading countless reviews online and I've narrowed my choices down to 2 guitars:
PRS se custom (A guy plays this who goes to my school, he says it's an amazing guitar)
Epiphone Les paul (one of the ones under $650)

I play mainly rock, alternative, metal, alternative metal, some other stuff.

Any advice? :mrgreen:

(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I suppose either guitar would be a good chose. Choosing an instrument is a very personal matter (as I have found out in the past, when I purchased a Christmas present for an individual who did nothing but complain about the action, but it felt great to me). That being said, I think I would be tempted to go for the PRS se custom. That is a very sweet sounding guitar, & looks good as well.

I am assuming that you are not interested in a trem. equipped guitar? If you are, have a look at the new Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe guitar; EMG's & an original Floyd Rose for the same money as the PRS. I recently purchased one & it is a beautiful sounding/playing instrument.

Just my .02 :mrgreen:

Good luck, & let us know what you decide on!

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I have an Epi Les Paul standard, and it's a great guitar. Highly recommend it. I've never played a PRS, so can't comment on that. Play them both & see which one feels best to you.

Good luck,
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@thenewchance)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies guys :)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'm familiar with both. from quality and workmanship standpoints, the PRS SE will generally trounce an Epi. from a design and performance standpoint, I would choose the PRS as well. but ... Epi makes good guitars, and this is a guitar you will play. so as katmetal suggests, you should try them and choose what you prefer in terms of tone, playability and whatever else is important to you.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

prs's are really nice. i played one that felt like it was just an extension of my thoughts. i ended up going back a week later to buy it, but someone else had bought it. i later bought a prs soapbar II that i probably played 4 or 5 hours a day on average, but someone stole it. so i'll definitely vouch for the guitars, but there seems to be some sort of voodoo curse attached to them for me.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I bought my Epi LP Custom back in '85 after test driving a bunch of them (and Gibsons) at two different stores. I walked into a small place that's sadly not in business any more and told the guy what I was looking for. He brought me to the wall and pointed at one in particular that he promised played as nice as any Gibson in the store. Sure enough, it was the one. Everyone who has ever played it raves about it. Even the ones at the time for over $800 more (Gibsons) did not beat it, except for the pickups a little bit. (To be honest, I could not tell a whole lot of difference at the time......ear problems. I had a friend come with me to lend me a clear ear and he said there was little difference. All's I know is that it plays like a dream then and still)

I picked up my first PRS SE 18 months ago and have grabbed one or two off the wall on subsequent visits to play around with. Each one played (plays?) at least near as nice as my prized Epi LP custom. Really close. Pretty strong statement. I'm thinking I'd go with PRS if online ordering. If test driving in person, whatever feels like it's the best.

There's a fine gentleman from up north floating around these boards who's nailed himself a good Epi LP that also owns and likes some Gibsons. Then again, there's been people who tried and did not like. I know when I was shopping that I grabbed a real dud or two.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

good point about buying on line, Roy. if that were an absolute requirement, the PRS is much more likely yield success from spin of that wheel-of-fortune.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

There's a fine gentleman from up north floating around these boards who's nailed himself a good Epi LP that also owns and likes some Gibsons.

Hey! I resemble that remark! :lol: Yeah, PRS SE's are nice guitars as well. Fact of the matter is my prized Epi is a Standard in black and I got it for $419. If you can find the right one, the Epi can be a great guitar. Came close to buying a PRS SE that had P90's on it once but bought an amp instead. Still wonder if I should have gotten the guitar. Have to agree on the QC too for Gibson. I think they are relying more on the history of the name than preserving the integrity of it. :?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

I would say go for the PRS, but it does depend on what you personally like and what you are already use to. What kind or style of guitar do you have now? That could help in narrowing down between the two, and if you have never played a PRS then you should ask the guy at your school to let you try it out. They are two different instruments, if i'm not mistaken the prs has a longer (fender) scale neck and the epiphone has the gibson. That could be a deciding factor if you have small hands.

Good luck, its always fun shopping for guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

if i'm not mistaken the prs has a longer (fender) scale neck and the epiphone has the gibson.

25" scale length on the SE single cut. I think Fender strats are 25 1/2. LPs are 24 3/4 I think.

http://www.prsguitars.com/sesinglecut/specs.html

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@thenewchance)
Topic starter  

if i'm not mistaken the prs has a longer (fender) scale neck and the epiphone has the gibson.

25" scale length on the SE single cut. I think Fender strats are 25 1/2. LPs are 24 3/4 I think.

http://www.prsguitars.com/sesinglecut/specs.html

Depends on the strat. But wow I didn't know this would get that many comments.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

really? what Strat isn't 25.5"? (not counting the mini)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@thenewchance)
Topic starter  

really? what Strat isn't 25.5"? (not counting the mini)
Hmmm Maybe you're right. I've only played 1 strat, my cousin's (not sure how long it was though)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Having both, I love the PRS better than my Strat, better than my Gibby and better than any other guitar I've owned over the last 3 years. That includes Schecter, Ibanez and EPI.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2