Purple yes - Rainbow no

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey,

This is a rather trivial subject I just wanted to see if anyone was along the same lines as me....... I love Deep Purple..... yep I even liked Burn (I havent heard stormbringer though), my favourite period is definately Mark II (so much wonderful stuff, Fireball, In Rock, Machine head, Made In Japan). However when it comes to Rainbow I just think one thing when I hear them "cheese!". It is pure cheese and the other thing that gets me with it is that I can see how it gave birth to all the 80s heavy metal which I'm not entirely keen on and then how that gave birth to the current metal scene (which I hate).

So is anyone else like me? A pure lover of purple but when it comes to seeing Rainbow's (somone who) just wants to hit the road like a highway star? :D Please say I'm not alone here!

together we stand, divided we fall..........

(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

I'm with you all the way on this one.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

LOL! Funny and true...

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I think the main difference between the two bands was that Purple MkII (Gillan, Glover, Blackmore, Lord and Paice) was a settled line-up for a good few years, whereas Rainbow were chopping and changing personnel every five minutes - or to put it another way, there was Blackmore and four equally strong personalities in Purple, whereas Rainbow was Ritchie's band - "my way or the highway!" No one to keep his ego in check in Rainbow. Not that ego's a bad thing - every musician has to have some kind of an ego, or he'd never get on stage. But when said ego is running riot, there's no feedback from the other band members - too scared of going against the band leader, too scared of being sacked.

Purple were a rock band, full of talented musicians....I'm not saying Rainbow wasn't, but at the end of the day, it was RB's band and he had the final say on everything.....and IMO, he made a deliberate decision to release singles aimed at the commercial market. Good, catchy singles....I Surrender, Since You've Been Gone, etc....but pop/rock music nonetheless, rather than the prog rock market which was Purple's particular niche.

Why didn't RB stay with Purple and release solo albums and singles? You've got me there - you'd have to ask him about that one!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I have no Rainbow at all. I have always had Deep Purple in my collection and even saw the lineup mentioned above. It was loud! We were at the security barrier in front of Glover and Lord. It was the reunion, Perfect Strangers tour.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

TR you seem to know more about purple than me........ well I have started buying the classic Mark 2 albums, but are the other albums actually worth investing in? I saw one with three of the newer albums (Battle rages on, Purpendicular, Slaves and masters) but I ended up walking away with a tower of power box set instead (some days you're just too spoilt for choice) :lol:

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@redbeard)
Trusted Member

I liked Man on the Silver Mountain.

Didnt get into much else.

For those of you who didnt like them, are you Dio fans?

"I just curse the sun so I can howl at the moon" ~QOTSA

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

TR you seem to know more about purple than me........ well I have started buying the classic Mark 2 albums, but are the other albums actually worth investing in? I saw one with three of the newer albums (Battle rages on, Purpendicular, Slaves and masters) but I ended up walking away with a tower of power box set instead (some days you're just too spoilt for choice) :lol:
Nah! I just have always loved that classic lineup you mention, was weaned on Machine Head and happened to have the good fortune to see them. There are bands i do know alot about but not so much Deep Purple.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote