Clear all

Question

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone know what the longest song, or continuous piece of music ever broadcast on radio?

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I am pretty sure that Tull's Thick as a Brick has been played in its entirety before, though I can't document it. That's 44 minutes or so.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

slej,

Wow did not know that, but then I never heard the 44 min version ever played on the radio. I would have guessed Stairway to Heaven for one that got alot of airplay.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

They may be broadcasting John Cage's "ASLAP" (As Slow As Possible). That performance is going to last over 600 years :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Radio stations in the 70s and early 80s were more adventurous. :) In California the station KLOS has a show called 7th Day, during which they play an album all the way through. They've been doing it since 1982, but the archives of what they've played historically don't go back very far. I am almost positive they've played "Thick" before. Oenyaw, maybe you can call them and ask?

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

There are still some stations around that play a full album without interuption late at night but I thought we were talking about one song or is an album considered a continuos piece of music?

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

There are still some stations around that play a full album without interuption late at night but I thought we were talking about one song or is an album considered a continuos piece of music?

I'm only talking about Thick as a Brick, which IIRC is one 44-minute "song" in two parts (which I'd guess is only because you had to flip the record over; LOL.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

44 minutes that's one long song, have you really ever heard that played on the radio? I would think that's probably the one then.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Like I said, I'm "almost" sure I've heard it all on the radio ... vague recollections ... the memory fades ...

But I did come across a few web posts in which people say it has been done. Specifically, at the old WJBK in Detroit. Another guy says he was once fired from a station for playing the entire thing. So it does seem like it has been done, though of course there's no way to verify.

ReplyQuote