Clear all

Quick!! Need Help Product Dating

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. Before I get excited here, I need someones help finding a year on this amplifier I have.

I am Interested mainly because it is a USA Amplifier by Fender, and since it was used originally I don't know the year.

Here are the facts:

Fender H.O.T. Solid State 1 X 12 USA Black Face Amplfier

There are Numerous Numbers on the back of this amplifier so I am having real trouble finding out what it is.

Serial Number: LO - 353116

City of Los Angeles Approval of Electronics Test CS - 706186

Commercial Audio Video Equipment - CG - 20467

Fender Instruments Corporation Made in USA, Brea, CA

Thank you guys for your help really interested in the year.

Thanks

Josh

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@davidhodge)

Went to Google, typed "dating fender amps serial number" and got this on the first try:

http://www.superiormusic.com/page195.htm

Since you say it's solid state, I think we can safely go past the first part of the article. Looking at this paragraph further on:
All Fender amplifiers, manufactured after 1989 include a date code on the amplifier.
This code is located on the "QA" (Quality Assurance) sticker, which may be found on the back of the amp chassis. The sticker is a Black and Silver label, which contains several lines for "sign-offs" at the completion of sound and electrical tests, where applicable. The last line will have 2 letters of the alphabet either printed or written by hand. These letters are the production date code for the amplifier. The first letter refers to the year, and the second letter refers to the month of manufacture. The codes are:
1990-A 1991-B 1992-C 1993-D 1994-E 1995-F 1996-G 1997-H 1998-I
1999-J 2000-K 2001-L 2002-M 2003-N 2004-O 2005-P 2006-

it would seem that "LO" would mean it was made in October, 2001.

I've never looked up something like this before in my life, so apologies if it's wrong. But I hope it helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

ok, but you said in the "quality assurance" sticker. Thats a different story if so. On the QA sticker it says CH for the last 2 letters. Actually it "ONLY" says CH. CH is 92' August?? H = 8th letter in the alphabet?

You guys think its worth antyhing? 92' USA Good Condition 1 X 12???

Thanks

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

That's why I told you I'd probably make a mistake with this! :wink: You should see the trouble I have putting together things from kits...

Yes, if you have the "CH" and it's written on the Quality Assurance sticker (that's what I get for thinking it's the serial number!), that would make it August, 1992. Please ignore my previous attempt to be helpful.

As for what it's worth, that's always a tricky question. They've got a "blue book" for guitars, just like the ones for helping you figure out what a car might be worth, but I honestly don't know if amplifiers are covered in the book. There may be some similar listing for amplifiers.

One suggestion would be to look on eBay or Craig's list and see what a comparable item (if not the same one) sold for. Not what the seller asked for it, but what it actually sold for.

Ultimately with used equipment, no matter what the condition, the price ends up being whatever you can find someone willing to spend on it. That may vary from place to place and person to person. You might find someone who collects 1992 Fender amps for who knows whatever reason. But unless there's a very compelling reason for it to have a big price tag, it probably wouldn't have appreciated that much in value, if at all.

Sorry for the first screw up.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Vintage Guitar publishes one of the more comprehensive annual price guides that covers guitars, basses, amps and effects. If your amp is of significant value (or even if not in many cases), it will be listed there with market value ranges for very good to excellent condition examples. Anyone buy the 2008 version of the VG price book?

And FWIW, the monthly Vintage Guitar magazine also includes updates to the yearly guide, though I doubt that would be significant in this case.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Went to Google, typed "dating fender amps serial number" and got this on the first try:

http://www.superiormusic.com/page195.htm

it would seem that "LO" would mean it was made in October, 2001.

Nice find with the Googling! :)

The problem with using O for October is that J, M and A could all mean a variety of months - such as January, June and July, so anything past L for the 12th one is unlikely to represent a month. Personally, I can't for the life of me understand why the heck manufacturers don't simply state the date! How hard is it to put Aug 92 or even August 1992 somewhere?

I found a pretty clued up forum for Fender amps but they were very strict about people not posting for sale ads or queries about the potential value of old amps in the forum. I guess they get sick of people asking about the value of every old Fender that turns up in a garage sale. So +1 to the notion that anything is only worth what you can get somebody to pay, and that e-bay, craiglist etc are probably the easiest way to find some sort of answer if you can't find a specific guide or don't fancy buying one.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

The problem with using O for October is that J, M and A could all mean a variety of months - such as January, June and July, so anything past L for the 12th one is unlikely to represent a month. Personally, I can't for the life of me understand why the heck manufacturers don't simply state the date! How hard is it to put Aug 92 or even August 1992 somewhere?

No, I definitely screwed that up myself. Earlier in the article it specifically states that the code for months follows the alphabet as well ("A" is January, "B" is February, "H," being the eighth letter gets "August," the eighth month, etc.,). I was just so thrilled to have an answer that I didn't think it all the way through and consequently gave the wrong one! Totally my bad on this.

Peace

ReplyQuote