20 Users
0 Likes
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I didn't see anyone mention The Allman Brother Band or Roy Buchanan

ReplyQuote
(@musus)
Trusted Member

If you're going for acoustic or 'front porch' blues you can't go wrong with some Robert Johnson, Big Bill Broonzy, and John Lee Hooker. Unfortunately its difficult to pinpoint specific albums because back in the day releasing albums was much less structured. So it might be easier to stick to compilations.

If you're into the electric blues scene I think Mike Bloomfield is as good as it gets. This is his best work:

Super Sessions - Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, and Stephen Stills.
Filmore East: The Lost concert tapes : Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper
The Live Adventures: Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper
East West - The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
A Long Time Comin' - Electric Flag (if you want to buy this CD be very careful because there are some very bad remasterings floating around. Do your research first)

Other essential electric blues albums include:

BB King: Live at Regal
SRV: Texas Flood
Fleetwood Mac: English Rose
John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers: Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton
Canned Heat and John Lee Hooker - Hooker N Heat

"Hey Hey My My ... Rock and Roll can never die" Neil Young

ReplyQuote
(@poorpetebest)
Trusted Member

Wow, how did this thread get to this point without mentioning Son House or Lightnin' Hopkins? Do yourself a favor and check these two out as soon as you can.

Son House is the quintessential bluesman in my opinion. He lived, breathed, and was the blues.

Lightnin' Hopkins plays some of the tastiest blues music I've listened to. Mojo Hand is one of my favorite songs.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

um, it didn't get this far without mentioning lightnin hopkins - I did that in the second post or something, lol. but Son House shoulda deffo got a mention.

And I've got that Bloomfield Lost Concert - good shout musus, its a great album. I've been meaning to give it a listen for a while now, and your post prompted me to do so - love the long-winded intro they do, too!

btw, I have a great Robert Johnson 3-disc cd - think its called Robert Johnson: The Origins or something similar. One disc has RJ's stuff, one has other people doing his tunes, and the 3rd disc has similar stuff which inspired him/was done at a similar time. I think Son House is on that 3rd disc. Anyways, its a great compilation, so keep an eye out for it.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

The 3-disc Robert Johnson is called RObert Johnson - The Origins (Beg, Borrow and Steal).

The disc with other stuff fromt hat 'era' includes Son House, Charley Patten, Kokomo Arnold, Scrapper Blackwell, Skip James, Mississipi Sheiks, Peattie Wheatstraw, Leroy Carr, and Sleepy John Estes.

hth

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@skunk)

Lots of great suggestions here for electric blues and Delta acoustic blues. For an introduction to an entirely different, yet equally rewarding, style of acoustic fingerstyle blues guitar, I strongly recommend listening to some Mississippi John Hurt. 1928 sessions is a great place to start.

ReplyQuote
(@cheechwizard)

For a current Blues/Rock guitar god check out Doyle Bramhall II, (not to be confused with Doyle Bramhall, his father).
Jelly Cream is a great CD. His CD's are pretty expensive, though.
I think Jelly Cream sells for 50 or 60 bucks.
There is some of his stuff on youtube.

ReplyQuote
(@georgejw22)
Trusted Member

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this one already but I think Eric Clapton's album 'Five long Years' is some of his best blues work. It hardly ever gets taken out of my cd player. 8)

All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff. ~ Frank Zappa
I've got blisters on my fingers. ~Ringo Starr
Music is spiritual. The music business is not. ~ Van Morrison

ReplyQuote
(@musus)
Trusted Member

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this one already but I think Eric Clapton's album 'Five long Years' is some of his best blues work. It hardly ever gets taken out of my cd player. 8)

Never heard of it. Can't find any info on it either.

Do you mean the song 'five long years' on the album 'from the cradle'?

"Hey Hey My My ... Rock and Roll can never die" Neil Young

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

georgejw22 wrote:I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this one already but I think Eric Clapton's album 'Five long Years' is some of his best blues work. It hardly ever gets taken out of my cd player. 8)

Maybe this is it, but could not locate a CD...

http://cgi.ebay.com/M4U-YARDBIRDS-Five-Long-Years-Clapton-LP_W0QQitemZ220204832694QQihZ012QQcategoryZ1593QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD4VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m124

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

I picked up the compilation Blues Gold last night, has a lot of the folks listed in the thread and I'm driving my wife crazy with it! :twisted:

http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Gold-Various-Artists/dp/B000BYR9KO/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1203895863&sr=8-1

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
(@georgejw22)
Trusted Member

Yup, that's it. My bad. :oops:

All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff. ~ Frank Zappa
I've got blisters on my fingers. ~Ringo Starr
Music is spiritual. The music business is not. ~ Van Morrison

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2