Recommend me some Buddy Guy

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Been seeing more and more of him lately, just wondering if anyone can recommend their favorite Buddy Guy albums

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Recent stuff....Sweet Tea is probs my favourite, love his intro track, Done Got Old, he really sounds it, great acoustic Muddy Waters style. The rest is raw electric and heavy. Feels Like Rain is aight, but I'm not overly keen on it as a whole - the standout tracks, (IMO) is Some Kind Of Wonderful. Damn Right I Got The Blues is a really strong album, though.

Live At Legends (again with Jr Wells, not sure when, think its 90's) is acoustic but decent.

Earlier stuff, Live At The Chequerboard Lounge is from the late 70's (1979 I think) and gets very funky in places, with Jr Wells. Some real tasty bass playing on it, too.

Then, probs a 'best of' album, but some good tracks to look for include Every Girl I See, and a few others. Sorry, let me just go check and I'll post back on this bit later. My bad. :oops:

Oh, and if you like Buddy, try Luther Allison (youtube will give you some great tunes, like Cherry Red Wine, and one with Evil in the title that's heavy, I'll go look for the links for ya).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey Taso :D

Well, I'm going to have to agree with Scrybe as far as Sweet Tea goes....
Excellent album!!!! 8)

Listening to it right now;
Although, my least favorite track is - Done Got Old.... I'm sure an old guy like me sees it
a bit differently than a young lady like Scrybe (lol).
The 2nd track (Baby Please Don't Leave Me) is wonderful!
Hendrix was spellbound by Buddy Guy and emulated him greatly....
In this second track, you can almost hear a Hendrix influence on Guy.
The drums (which are a bit militaristic in cadence), slowly syncopate into a 'Machine Gun' rhythm during the Jimi/Guy sounding solo....
Really makes me wonder what Jimi would've sounded like had he been allowed to grow old.

Overall, the album is very Groovatious, with the rhythm section keeping you into it while Guy steps between vocals/incendiary guitar licks/solos.

My CD was a gift from my [then] wife Melody, after we were lucky enough to see a Dave Mathews concert in Chicago where
his scheduled opening band failed to open.
We were kept waiting for a while, when all out of nowhere, some cat with a polka dot Strat comes out wailin' away!
I of course said - Is that Buddy Guy!...?
It was indeed.

I had seen him before (being from Chicago)... it was none-the-less a pleasent surprise, and a good way to soothe an impatient Chicago crowd :D

Anyway - On first hearing the Sweet Tea CD, it was a bit of a disapointment to me....
Mostly because it wasn't what I expected to hear.
At the time, I was listening heavily to Peter Green's Mac (In which their 'Blues Jam in Chicago' features Guy on guitar under the guise: 'Guitar Buddy'), Beano Album Bluesbreakers, and (mostly) - John Lee Hooker.

Sweet Tea has a bit of a lush sounding production.... It's very wet with Guy playing his Strat thru mostly Gibson's new line of British sounding amps.
Not at all the stripped down sound I prefer.

And I really had shelved the CD, until after I was divorced and had moved out.... Now I absolutely LOVE it!

As a matter of fact, I think it was written during a hard time for Guy's marriage.

Guy's newer album - Bring 'em In, is (I believe) the result of his marriage breaking down.
On the cover he has a Tele instead of his usual Strat, and he did in fact play that Tele live in support of that album.
He was also playing thru Fender amps.... had a much purer tone (live).

I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the actual album though.
It has many guest appearences on it, like John Mayer, Keith Richards, Santana, & Robert Randolph...etc.

(Speaking of guests, Bobby Whitlock shows up on Sweet Tea playing piano :wink: )

The only other recording I ever had of Buddy Guy was a concert that I taped off of Chicago's [best radio station] (WXRT) when I was a teenager, of Guy with Junior Wells in a club in Chicago.... Fantastic!!!!

(Junior Wells' Hoodoo Man Blues [with Guy on guitar] is supposed to be a superior album, if you're into Harp playing.)

Guy was best known for his live playing/showmanship.... So I would suggest 'This is Buddy Guy (live)' from 1968.
(I haven't heard it myself)

Or, much as Scrybe has suggested, a Best Of taken one step furthur - A Box Set covering various periods.
I doubt you'll be let down.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Great to see folks getting interested in The Guy!

Please listen to the "A Man and the Blues" album first. That one is from back when he was young and fiery and fresh. If you play blues with a Stratocaster, you need to listen to this album as the tone you are looking for is probably Buddy's and you don't even know it yet! :twisted:

Then you should give "Hoodoo Man Blues" a listen. Its not my favorite. Its one of Guy's first recordings (and to me it kinda shows). I don't think he had quite figured out what kind of player he was until later. Its got a bit of a funky vibe to it. And, I'm honestly not a fan of funk. There's some absolutely fierce harp playing on this album though. And, of course Buddy's plays very well throughout.

Enjoy yourself Taso.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hmmmm....
Maybe 'Baby Please Don't Leave Me' reminds me more of
'Are You Experienced' , without all that backwards stuff on there....?

I'll make a note to try and get some Hendrix CD's - :roll:

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the recommendations guys. Will check these out ASAP. I got Man and the Blues yesterday, liking it so far.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I will check out Buddy Guy, now that we have good recommendations here.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Only just caught up with this thread Taso.

I love anything by Buddy, such a terrific showman.

It's difficult to recomand any particular album of his as they are all so good, but I particularly like "Blues singer" which is his Grammy award winning acoustic album.

Also I cant stop watching this on youtube http://youtube.com/watch?v=f816HjURyVc

And this one http://youtube.com/watch?v=tz7-hH_HYaQ

Enjoy. :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

For Pure Buddy Guy one of the best is "Blues Singer" Just Buddy and an acoustic guitar. Damn Right I got the BLues is another good one.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Sorry for the delay Taso.....

Early stuff. Tracks I think are particularly good include First Time I Met The Blues, Every Girl I See, Stone Crazy, When My Left Eye Jumps, 10 Years Ago, I Got A Strange Feeling, and I Got My Eyes On You.

I'd go for a compilation on the early stuff, not sure if they do a 'complete chess recordings' for Buddy, but if they do, get something like that.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I think Scrybe mentioned it, but Buddy Guy and Junior Wells' Last Time Around - Live at Legends is pretty good. It's all acoustic.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you must have this in your collection.

Hoodoo Man Blues

Jr. Wells and Buddy Guy. this is an old CD. it is fantastic. I have worn out the CD three times in the last fifteen years.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

I'd go for a compilation on the early stuff, not sure if they do a 'complete chess recordings' for Buddy, but if they do, get something like that.

They do indeed have this. It's called "Buddy Guy: The Complete Chess Studio Recordings" and is well worth getting. I just happened to buy it a couple days ago on iTunes. 50 songs for $10. Hard to beat that. Also on iTunes I bought "Everything Gonna Be Allright", a live album from back in the day with him and Junior Wells, which is absolutely fantastic. "Man And The Blues", as mentioned earlier, is great too.

Personally, I stick with the early Buddy. Just my opinion, but I don't care much at all for his later stuff. His tone now, to me, is just very shrill and piercing. I also think his voice was a lot better then, and I think he took his playing much more seriously than he does now. He gets REALLY sloppy nowadays. It seems to me he puts more of an effort now into just being a showman.

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

A while back I was looking to check out Buddy Guy and picked up a used copy of The Very Best of Buddy Guy. It has a lot of the songs folks on this thread are recommending.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Personally, I stick with the early Buddy. Just my opinion, but I don't care much at all for his later stuff. His tone now, to me, is just very shrill and piercing. I also think his voice was a lot better then, and I think he took his playing much more seriously than he does now. He gets REALLY sloppy nowadays. It seems to me he puts more of an effort now into just being a showman.

Thank You! :mrgreen: And I thought it was just me.

Actually, and this is said with the caveat of not having seen him live (yet), I always feel the production on the later recordings get in the way of his sound......I keep wanting to slap whoever's in charge of that when I listen to it.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2