Skip to content
Recommendations for...

Notifications
Clear all

Recommendations for Small Combo Amp (5W & under)

18 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I am looking for an amp for my office at work. Yes, I am lucky enough to have the luxury of playing a guitar in my office, during slow times. :D

So, I have been looking around for a SMALL combo amp. I am looking for some suggestions. Here are some of the things I am looking for:

1. Prefer 100% tube or at least tube based (like a Vox Valvetronix).

2. Needs to sound good at low, office volumes. Must be low wattage, so it can crank at low volume or have a attenuator.

3. No real price range or max. price, but the cheaper the better!

Okay... let's have the suggestions.

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

EPI VALVE JR !!!!!!!! :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

EPI VALVE JR !!!!!!!! :)

+1

Get the mini stack & make yourself a home made attenuator, (if I can do it, you can do it). You'll love it! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I will keep the Valve Jr. in mind. Not sure though, it may be too loud. I would prefer not to need an attenuator.

I ran across this online - anyone have any comments on it?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/product/reviews/base_pid=485054/rpp=10/

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i agree on the valve junior...it's wonderful

btw...at the risk of hijacking this thread...how do you make a homemade attenuator? anyone have a project description w/ parts? PM me, if you do.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

btw...at the risk of hijacking this thread...how do you make a homemade attenuator? anyone have a project description w/ parts? PM me, if you do.

I'll PM you.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I have a Peavey Valve King Royal 8 - 5W of very nice clean tube sound. The "8" refers to the size of the speaker, by the way.

In contrast to the Epi and (I believe the Fender) you get tone, master and gain controls plus a headphone socket.
Valve King

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

I was gonna say "+1" for the Epi Valve Jr. But that Peavey Valve King Royal 8 looks very interesting, greybeard. Great. Now I'll have to check it out. :?

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I ran across this online - anyone have any comments on it?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/product/reviews/base_pid=485054/rpp=10/
I got a Fender Champion 600 some months ago... I don't remember exactly, perhaps after the summer. I also had a Marshall but I gave it last month because I didn't use it anymore. I think that describes my thoughts on the Fender.

IMHO it sounds to 'Fender'. Some people complain it is lightly noisy. I had two amps. The first one apparently had a problem with the valves and it was changed by the music store. Probably it was a little noisy, the second one absolutely it isn't. As you know the cable, the guitar and pedals, if used, could also add noise.

Usually I play at my bedroom, I live in a flat. The volume is always in the 4-5 range (over 12) and doesn't disturb and sounds enough loud (even sometimes I go up to 6 or more).

It has two inputs: low and high. They give different tones depending on the pickups and the guitar. The low input is absolutely clean, the high is more easily overdriven (or almost overdriven to my sound levels). Usually I connect my Strat to the high input and the LP to the low.

I could perform a demo if you want, nevertheless, YouTube has lots of demos, one of my favorites is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBU7YYS0yHE

(BTW that Tele sounds really good too!)

If you could check it out it would be great. When I bought I did it and I fall in love with it.

Nuno

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I would look at the Fender Super Champ XD. This is a fantastic little amp. They have a 5W and 15W version. But I would go with the 15W, even at your office. This amp sounds great at low volume but can crank too! It can play anything from Fender clean to Marshall crunch and even Metal tones and has some really good effects too. It has a 10" speaker so it sounds pretty big, but is very portable. I'm tellin' ya, this is a great little amp.

Fender Super Champ XD

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

My VJ has spent many hours in my back office playing softly as I waited on the residents I was supervising to come in with their cases. I just turn down the volume and play clean. I also have an Electar Tube 10 that's done a lot of that duty. It's a master volume amp, so I can turn up the gain when I want some fuzz.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I would look at the Fender Super Champ XD. This is a fantastic little amp. They have a 5W and 15W version. But I would go with the 15W, even at your office. This amp sounds great at low volume but can crank too! It can play anything from Fender clean to Marshall crunch and even Metal tones and has some really good effects too. It has a 10" speaker so it sounds pretty big, but is very portable. I'm tellin' ya, this is a great little amp.

Fender Super Champ XD

The Vibro Champ XD is the 5W version with an 8 inch speaker. (Heresay alert) In talking with some players about the Champion 600, I was told the 6 inch speaker just doesn't cut it, and the 600 sounds thin on the low end. I wonder if the 8 inch makes the Vibro Champ XD much better. Have you heard the Vibro, Wes?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Greg

No, I haven't, but my brother has the Super Champ XD 15W and you can easily play it at low volume, but it is also powerful enough to gig with. It has the Vibro effect, very nice. This is a great sounding tube amp.

I didn't know the 5W had a smaller speaker.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Peavey Valve King Royal 8 is brilliant. Had one at school for a few weeks now and noone has complained, even when lessons are going on.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Marshall do a 10W combo which is fun-sized and severely potent. If you can live with the extra wattage you can turn down the volume.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2