Skip to content
Remembering Hurrica...

Notifications
Clear all

Remembering Hurricane Katrina and those affected...

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I think today is the date, 5 years ago today. 1800 persons were killed, 80 percent of New Orleans was flooded or destroyed, and much of the damage or waste still remains as ruins. The people of that area are still looking for closure and have tried through services today, which is Sunday.

The President and his family went there now to participate. Pictures of the destruction which still exists are frightening and tragic. I changed my avatar to my meeting with Amanda Shaw at that time, 5 years ago - her home was cut in half by a tree during the storm, in Mandeville LA, north of New O. around Lake Pontchartrain.

She herself as a musician was greatly affected and during this time didn't know where her guitarist or her drummer were.

Her house has been rebuilt, her bandmates were later accounted for and re-joined her, and she has helped in charitable and relief efforts continuously. I've done a little, but it doesn't stop - made some lifetime friends, 5 yrs. and counting.

Sorry for the poor quality picture but all can't be perfect. My dad took it and we were in a tent with the band and family.

http://www.amandashaw.com/fr_home.cfm Look out for the volume, but I think it's great? :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I was watching a special program, they were reminding the hurricane and also reviewing the state after 5 years. It is the same if it happens in poor or rich countries, the nature is much more stronger than we really think.

Amanda's music sounds pretty good!

ReplyQuote