Clear all

RIAA

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I don't know about you guys but I don't buy a thing these days from the corporate market. It's all junk. Who needs the image of music anyway. It was musicians that made the industry and now they are trying to make the musician. It doesn't work that way from the obvious history and present examples of bands and cd's that they demand outrageous fees for us to watch and listen to. They are so arrogant as to think some little ol' lady or children are going to cause the demise of their business management strategies. They're killing themselves by demanding too high of prices for maybe one song on a cd that's not even worth listening to. Just remember we make the music and they steal our right to play it. When will the masses learn after all the years they've been dummied down? Now, ten years, twenty, never? I'm sick of all this money money money for something that soothes the soul. It is not now and never was about filling their artist's or their pockets indefinitely. Afterall they refuse to even give really creative original artists a chance to make a living at their craft and so those artist have to go out and get real jobs never to be heard from again. Let the manufactured artist and industry lose their golden goose and do what the rest of us have to do, work for a living!!! Don't buy anything from them and go to your local jams and play or listen to your neighbors, that's where it all happens. The machine does not care about you or your music, realize that. You make the industry and they destroy it. They need us, we don't need them!!!! PLAY ON BROTHER, PLAY ON GENTLY

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

People who make music for a living need money to pay for food. My local music store has tons of great albums for about $10,- each. I think that's a fair price to ask for a year of hard work. And for what it's worth: it has always been this way. The Beatles, Hendrix and Clapton have always charged for their albums because it's their job. As for real artists: we have an act here called 'spinvis': he has worked crappy jobs for ten years writing his own songs but his hard work payed off: he's now contracted and is able to work music full-time creating interesting music. I've been to one of his gigs and it was awesome. Is he an established act? Sure. Does he suck? No. Is he worth the money? Maybe, that is up to you to decide.

That aside, supporting local acts is a cool thing to do, but that doesn't mean you can't buy an album from an established act.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

That's right, buy the music from the estabished act. Not throught the RIAA represented. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

The artis don't really make a lot on CD sells, so if you want to support the artis and you want your money to go to them, then go their concerts and buy their T shirts! But don't complain when you pay between 30 to 50 bucks a shirt! after all, they gotta get their money somewhere! lol

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I don't know about you guys but I don't buy a thing these days from the corporate market. It's all junk. Who needs the image of music anyway.

So, where do you buy your music?

I'm with Arjen. There's nothing that says you mustn't buy a cd, buy concert tickets, buy t-shirts, posters, coffee cups, baseball hats, sheet music/ tab books. If you don't buy the cd's and the merchandise then you're right - a very good band has to go get jobs flipping burgers or delivering pizza and is never heard of again.

Now, chew on this one - in the UK Tesco and Sainsbury's are knocking out current chart cd's at less than a tenner, instead of the £14.99 and upwards you pay in Virgin/ HMV. The result has been to reduce the size of the music industry in the UK from £7 billion to £5 billion per year, if you measure it by sales. The artist still gets the same amount of royalty, so nobody's complaining. And I agree that it's a very good price for a year's work out of somebody; or more - the new Muse album comes out next week two years after the last one and it'll be in Tesco for £9.99 on the day.

And now with my Moderator hat on. This thread has the capacity to go south very quickly. If it degenerates into a slanging match about the RIAA, peer-to-peer mp3 downloading, copying cd's/movies etc then it will be killed.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I buy my recordings at a discount at a recycled record store. In response to your moderator hat. How nice of you to predict gloom and doom of this thread and threaten with extermination. Are you working for the US government now? banning free speech on your own assumptions. there is no vulgarity nor offending remarks of any kind. Simply stating the facts. Your warning has been taken and if this site is going to be run like a dictatorship with threats of stifling free informative information, fine remove it. this is the very control that the thread is pointing out that has ruined the industry. Now you are going to show your true colors by acting on assumption, fine. It's nice to know who is running this site so we can take our truth and creative talents to those who "do not" support censorship, real and true artist. Are you saying you support the present business practices of the corporations? Are you truly an artist? Do you have any experience at live performance, in your neighborhood taverns/pubs where corporate spies literally come up to you and threaten you with fine/imprisoment for playing cover songs? They also threaten and do close the establishment where you and your neighbors have been playing for decades? where will you play and share your music with your neighbors then? I'm am humbled by your power and look forward to any and all rejections from your high seat here at guitar noise. I will continue to play for the neighbors I care about and I "will" sing the truth. Enjoy your life. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Thanks for going and doing exactly what Alan was warning about.

Sigh...

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I just had to unlock this briefly to write that Alan has now been promoted to moderator and Chief Prognosticator.

ReplyQuote