Clear all

Rock Concert: Something to share

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Once a year, the music school I attend organises a rock concernt to give all the students exposure to live performance. Those who are interested are grouped into bands (the school teaches drums, vocals, guitar, base, keyboard), who each perform a number. I didn't take part, but I went to watch and thought I'd share some stuff that inspired me.

There was this one young band. And I mean young. Aged 8-12. You'd expect that they'd be cute, but you'd be wrong. They played "Breaking The Law" by Judas Priest. And wow, I was blown away. They were really good. The lead guitarist, a ten year old, sang and played at the same time...no mean feat. They even had some riffs and solos!!!

Then there was a guy who'd been playing for 5 1/2 years, who did a Steve Vai solo that was simply gobsmacking. I mean, completely sickly brilliant!! I wanted to cry (out of jealousy :lol: ).

Also amusing was that there were a few students with more expensive guitars than their tutors. Flying V's, Explorers, and more. I take comfort in the fact that they were usually not the better players...

Some really inspiring stuff. Man, I really do need to practice more.

(@margaret)
Noble Member

Wow, how lucky you are to go to a school that offers something like that! 8)

I'd have loved to have seen those performances. :!:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Sounds like quite the show! You're right: nothing like a great performance for a little motivations 8)

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Reminds me of that documentary I watched a few months back on Cinemax (I think, or maybe HBO). It was called Rock School and was about a music school in Philadelphia that taught kids to play at a Frank Zappa tribute show in Europe. I recall the lead guitarist, who was probably no bigger than 11 years old could flat out PLAY! I thought the school's head teacher was a bit of a bully to the kids, though. Not sure I would let someone like him teach my children, although he got results. Here is the movie website, if anyone is interested in renting it, it was worth the time I spent:

http://www.rockschoolthemovie.com/flashIndex.htm

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Wow, that's pretty intense.

Though I wonder if the writers of "School of Rock" saw that first and thought they could make a commedy out of it or if it was the other way around :P

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

Reminds me of that documentary I watched a few months back on Cinemax (I think, or maybe HBO). It was called Rock School and was about a music school in Philadelphia that taught kids to play at a Frank Zappa tribute show in Europe. I recall the lead guitarist, who was probably no bigger than 11 years old could flat out PLAY! I thought the school's head teacher was a bit of a bully to the kids, though. Not sure I would let someone like him teach my children, although he got results. Here is the movie website, if anyone is interested in renting it, it was worth the time I spent:

http://www.rockschoolthemovie.com/flashIndex.htm

I saw that documentary as well. Even one of the other teachers questioned some of his bullying methods. But the man does get results and the kids seem to thrive off of him.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I saw that documentary as well. Even one of the other teachers questioned some of his bullying methods. But the man does get results and the kids seem to thrive off of him.

I agree that he got results, but some of the students (more than one), said that the students who did the Zappa tribute were the best students in the school. The more average students got the abuse, but not the stellar results. But, results or not, I don't think kids need that kind of negative re-enforcement pressure. I think he could get the same great results without the tirades.

ReplyQuote
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I can vouch for the fact that the school I attend does noy apply any tyranny to teach musicians.

"No children were harmed during the creation of this concert"

:lol:

ReplyQuote