Notifications
Clear all

Rock Operas

20 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I would recommend Jesus Christ Superstar to anyone who has never heard it . I has a phenomenal soundtrack and the album had Ian Gillan (Deep Purple) as the voice of Jesus . Whether you are a Christian or not you can enjoy one of the greatest stories ever told . It was regarded as very controversial at the time . There are some gems on the soundtrack that were never hits so unless you listen to it you might not have been introduced to them .

I've been meaning to check out more of the music from this. My bass teacher played a song for me from it and the bass line was mind blowing.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@colin-rp)
Eminent Member

Definitely the Kinks Arthur. The narrative is so strong between the songs and the characters who sing them are very well defined. There is no question that Ray Davies meant the whole album to be staged.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

If I remember correctly, Arthur was supposed to be a soundtrack for either a film or television movie and that's one of the reasons it is so structured with characters and plot.

Regardless, one of the Kinks' finest! Should be in everyone's collection.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Hmmm, nobody mentioned Little Shop of Horrors.

What's the difference between a rock opera and a musical that uses rock music?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@redstrat)
Eminent Member

NIRVANA-ENGLISH BAND CONSIDERED THE FIRST BAND TO DO A ROCK OPERA.DAMN I FORGOT THE TITLE

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2