Notifications
Clear all

Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame - Thoughts?

29 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

It's so hard to come up with criteria for such a subjective thing like music. It's kind of like who's the best guitar player or best song...how can you rate those?

The only real tangible way is to go by album sales or something and that doesn't necessarily mean anything either, there are thousnads of brilliant records that never sold much.

So it comes down to some sort of popularity contest like all the award shows, Grammy's, Emmey's whatever.

Personally i always thought of KISS (sorry TR) as more of novelty act that got by on theatrics more than musicianship but you can't deny they've sold alot of records and have lots of fans. Maybe that's more a testament to their marketing prowess than anything else.
But that's just the point ... they are if nothing else very famous. Is Rock & Roll just music, or is it entertainment?

No need to appoligize either, I know KISS music is not fine art or guitar virtuosity. It did make a lot of teenage boys want to play guitar in the 70's though. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yea TR my best friend was a KISS fanatic and I was forced to listen to every KISS album/song a hundred times. I do like a few of there songs though I just wasn't into the costumes at the time.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Kiss would have bombed if their music had stunk on ice. My first Kiss album, Kiss Alive II, really captured them nicely. The over the top costumes and the over the top yelling out to the audience with the faus rough & rowdy voices was neat, but I wouldn't have played that album over and over again if the tunes stunk. (If you didn't dig that type of music, that was one thing, but if you dug it....)

I'm not sure what more Rush has to do to get in. Whatever it is, I don't wanna hear about it. :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm not a fan of Rush. I know, I know, there's a million reasons why I should like 'em, but I can't get past the singers voice - has the same effect on me as fingernails on a chalkboard. Having said that, I can't see a single reason why they shouldn't be in any musical hall of fame....they fill stadiums, they sell records by the zillion, and they're hugely popular. Add their undoubted musical virtuosity to that, and they should be top of any list for membership. While we're talking musical virtuosity, surely the Moody Blues should be there too? They - arguably - were the first progressive rock band, and an influence on the likes of Genesis, Yes and probably Rush too.

Kiss are a different kettle of fish - you wouldn't call them virtuosi, or categorise them with any of the above - but no-one can deny their entertainment value, and, as Roy pointed out, if their music sucked, no-one would buy their records, and they've shifted a fair few units over the years. I'd vote for 'em, and I'd vote for Rush and the Moodies too. Wouldn't put any of them in my top 20 favourites, but for their influence, popularity and showmanship, all of them deserve - IMHO - to be there.

But....I'm not on the judging panel.........

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Vic my exact sentiments on everything you wrote especially about Rush i never could stand Geddy Lee's voice it ruined any music they made for me.

As for KISS I'm not sure the music was that 'great' they had some catchy riffs but I don't really think of them as putting out anything epic, fairly simple pop/rock songs with costumes and the whole theatrics.

I don't really bother thinking about this very much cuz no matter who is in or out I'm going to listen to who I like anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

cnev and Vic just reminded me about my favorite Rush story. Tom Sawyer came on the radio one day and my then <10 year old son asks me, "who's this chick?".

He likes them OK now, though. :)

Vic, you were around when Rock and Blues bands doing gigs over in the UK were often the seed needed to get a good riot going. (Bill wyman wrote about it in a book, IIRC) I wonder what Kiss music would have done. I'm picturing heads spinning off or weird stuff falling from the sky types of things. un- 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Speaking of Rush... (I love them) I was listening to a relatively new band caleld Coheed and Cambria and the lead singer has a similar voice to Geddy Lee. There is one song in which he sounds EXACTLY like Geddy Lee - and in fact that song in general sounds like a Rush song. I bring it up because I think it is interesting to note that C&C don't appear to suffer from the "I can't stand the guy's voice" issue that Rush does... not sure if it is because C&C is "cooler" than Rush or what... but interesting nonetheless.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Speaking of Rush... (I love them) I was listening to a relatively new band caleld Coheed and Cambria and the lead singer has a similar voice to Geddy Lee. There is one song in which he sounds EXACTLY like Geddy Lee - and in fact that song in general sounds like a Rush song. I bring it up because I think it is interesting to note that C&C don't appear to suffer from the "I can't stand the guy's voice" issue that Rush does... not sure if it is because C&C is "cooler" than Rush or what... but interesting nonetheless.
Maybe a combination of familiarity, exposure & path clearing? Geddy Lee and some might say Freddie Mercury have both had their music out for decades. Perhaps they made the falsetto more "acceptable" to some people. It might also be because some middle-aged guys never heard of 'C&C'. If I was to make an argument in reference to someone with a falsetto voice, Geddy Lee would get a lot more mileage in the form of recognizability than 'C&C'. Having said all that, I like the the voices of both, so I will not proceed to my nearest YouTube and check them out.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well I always loved Freddie Mercury's voice and hated Geddy Lee to me theY were very different, plus I liked Queen's music better too!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well I always loved Freddie Mercury's voice and hated Geddy Lee to me theY were very different, plus I liked Queen's music better too!

Same here - although I would never dream of slagging Rush off as musicians. There are some musicians who, whilst I can appreciate how good they are, do nothing for me. Hendrix was one - there are some tracks of his I love, but most of his music does nothing for me. Over my head, perhaps? Same with SRV - I honestly don't get it. Maybe that's just me.... but I wouldn't dream of saying they're rubbish, I can appreciate how good they are, they just don't appeal to me. Yngwie, EVH, Satriani - yes, I know how good they are, but again, they do nothing for me.

Funny thing, taste, innit?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Did anyone see the R and R hall of fame 25th anniversary show? Was fantastic but I only saw half, Simon and Garfunkle performed and they are still amazing.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Not having the Moody Blues in there is an out & out slap....

The rest of them aren't old enough....Depeche Mode?????WTF

Once again, they've taken something that one could deem a life achieving & turned it into total garbage .

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Fleaaaaaa, I didn't see the show. I've seen bits and pieces of various shows in the past and nothing's made me keep on watching or seek out one to watch.

There was a DVD set being advertised on VH1-Classic recently that was supposed to be a best of kind of thing. The ad was horrible. Kid rock and Steve Tyler doing one of Aerosmith's songs' signature intros and it sounded awful.

I just found it on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j44xNSgJ8yI (at about the :59 second mark)

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I suppose Kid Rock is a lock for the hall ..... :roll:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2