Rock School

25 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newmarket/rock_school/

I really wanted to see this movie but it didnt play for long in my area.
The guitarist (must be no older than 10) in it is sick.

Has anyone seen it?

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Yeah, I've seen it. It's an ok flick.

Personally I really don't like Jack Black, but it's a cute little movie, entirely predictable and trite, but enjoyable none-the-less . . . a lot like many of the old Disney Sunday Night Movie type things.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

KingP, i think you are mistaking it with School of Rock with Jack Black.
This one just came out, I think its a documentary about a guy called Paul Green, who runs a rock school for gifted children.

Check out the trailer.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@vegas_jay)
Trusted Member

It looked like a pretty interesting show from the trailer. I would rent it if I saw it available. :D

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Oh, indeed I am ... I'll have to look into this one more..

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Been there, done that, (really) got the t-shirt. The only difference between what I did and that is that there's a guy with anger problems thats running the whole show, and it has "school" in the name.... and they made a movie about it.... 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

They had a big story on this film in the paper last Friday. I am definatley going to see it.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I might be alone on this one but I find the idea of a "rock school" to be really cheesy.

No offence to you yoyo286, I'm sure you had alot of fun there, and I'm sure you had alot of great experiences and opportunities there but I just think the idea in general is very misleading, i mean: Did Pete Townshed or Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton ever go to "rock school"? I think it's good that these kids are able to get a sort of performance coach to show them how to play good and become good performers but at the same time... am I going to willingly go to a "rock school" run by someone that I've never even heard of? I know I wouldn't.

Anyways, just my opinion. It does seem like an interesting movie though (let's face it, those kids have talent), so i think i might see it.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

In Holland we have a Rock Academy, where they are taught, among many other things, how often a guitarist should turn around towards the drummer per song and how many inches he should steop forward when he plays his solo. I like the idea of a rockschool, but the emphasis should remain on the rock and not on the school...

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

In Holland we have a Rock Academy, where they are taught, among many other things, how often a guitarist should turn around towards the drummer per song and how many inches he should steop forward when he plays his solo. I like the idea of a rockschool, but the emphasis should remain on the rock and not on the school...

Man, that's just...sick, lol.

How many inches to step forward? Down to the inch! I hear of things like that - Grammy School and those talent shows and Making the Band and everything but I can't watch them. It's like the total antithesis of music - as I'm sure you already know.

But...how many inches to step forward?

In that case they should have:

At what age should the young guitarist switch to wireless?

Is it hygenic to toss a pick into the audience which has just been in your mouth?

When signing the recording contract, is it better to use blue or black ink?

When a pedalboard is used, what is the optimum width it should be in order to create the most pleasing shape in accordance with the guitarist's height?

What is the optimum size of holes in the knees of jeans that will produce the desired image effect without being distracting?

:)

When they get music down to a science, it's time to leave and go play music.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I fully agree with you. But on the other side: pretty much all of those who graduate there have a proper job in the music industry, as they can follow a lot of technical/audio courses. Something that cannot be said of all who made it through the various conversatoria here.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Giving kids a place where they have the support and encouragement to work hard and get good is a wonderfull thing.

Exploiting those kids in a movie may or may not be such a good thing.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

It's OK they are getting prepared for getting exploited by record companies.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Did Pete Townshed or Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton ever go to "rock school"?

No, thats true, they didn't. However, they were highly motivated individuals. There was a point in Clapton's life (starting at around 16 -20 or so) in which he never went out with his friends, he just played along with his albums. Also, the music scene was completly different back in those days.
It's OK they are getting prepared for getting exploited by record companies.
Amen!

Did anyone think that the kid that was doing the EVH stuff on his guitar (For about 3 seconds) looked a lot like that kid from the Eruption video (the one with all the mistakes and muted notes and what not, with the "Bowing" and worshiping stuff) ?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

No offence to you yoyo286, I'm sure you had alot of fun there, and I'm sure you had alot of great experiences and opportunities there but I just think the idea in general is very misleading, i mean: Did Pete Townshed or Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton ever go to "rock school"? I think it's good that these kids are able to get a sort of performance coach to show them how to play good and become good performers but at the same time... am I going to willingly go to a "rock school" run by someone that I've never even heard of? I know I wouldn't.

I didn't go there to "learn how to be a rock star" or whatever, I went there because I wanted to interact with other musicians, because the musicians in my area are either too snobby (they say I'm too young :evil: ) or they suck (I've tried playing with them, and it's not that they're bad, it's just they never take the music seriously like I do; they're always stoping and joking around, and thats okay sometimes, but not all the time) I think I got my money worth, because now the band that I'm with is the only band in the eintire rock camp (In all of its 18 years running) to play on the news live (that gonna be tomorrow :shock: ), play in a parade on the main street of Austin, and perform in a festival in front of 5-10,000 people with the Los Lonely Boys, and other mainstream artists. Like someone on this forum said before, I think I got my moneys worth.

8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2