Clear all

Roger Waters interview

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

[excerpt from http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/feature/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002463767 ]

Q: You've said that you will play "Dark Side of the Moon" in its entirety on your upcoming tour. How did that come about?

A: It was a request from Formula I in France. They wanted a big event to go on July 14, which is the day before the French Grand Prix at Magny-Cours, it's about 100 kilometers south of Paris, and somebody in the organization rather fancifully suggested Pink Floyd playing "Dark Side of the Moon," and somebody else rather fancifully approached various people who said, "Are you f***ing insane? It's not going to happen."

And they then said, "What about Roger Waters, would he do it?" So they asked me and I was rather taken aback, I have to say. I thought about it and I thought, "Hey why not? What a cool idea." And the more I've worked on it the more the idea has grown on me and we're working very hard. And I'm going downtown as we speak to work on visuals for "Dark Side of the Moon" and the rest of the show. I‘ve got a great band together and I have every hope that we will do the work justice.

(@saber)
Reputable Member

This is cool. I wonder if anything new will come of it.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Is it just me that thinks Water's is just a complete pompous ar*e?

He's so sour he must me made of lemons.

strange fella.

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I thought about it and I thought, "Hey why not? What a cool idea.".............................it'll expand my bank balance, nicely, thank you.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 RonF
(@ronf)

In recent interviews he's been a lot more conciliatory. In fact, it's been Gilmour that's been coming off sourer IMHO.

Ron

ReplyQuote
(@whoelse)
Estimable Member

mattguitar wrote:

Waters definetly seemed much more arrogant, pompous and combative in the early stages of the Pink Floyd breakup, predicting that they could never manage without his creative genius. But he seems to have been humbled some by the success Gilmour had heading up Floyd without him. The May issue of Guitar World has interviews with Waters and Gilmour and they have both spun 180 degrees... Waters wants to to be let back into Floyd and Gilmour says it's behind him :cry: ... almost sounding like it's now beneath him, since he's saying he's done his best work ever on his latest album "On an Island".

IMHO, Gilmour's latest solo is a little too ethereal for me, I loved his first solo album. And Waters solo stuff went off the deep end. Even before that, how many of you pull out Floyd's (and Waters' last Floyd album) "The Final Cut" for a listen? Not too many I guess. But together as Pink Floyd, they were both tremendous artists.

That said, I scored tickets for Waters' San Francisco performance of Dark Side. :D Cant wait.

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

It amazes me how long a grudge can last between two people.

I can understand why Gilmour's done with Floyd though, after all, he did carry it on years after Waters left. But I think calling his new stuff the best work he's ever done is a sign of stuborn delusional optimism. Even Trent Reznor didn't call his new album his Best work, after he had called his last album that. All he said, in response to the question, was that he was in the mindset of his new music and didn't want to venture into "best's". Which is probably the only way a person can carry on making the greatest music they can deliver.

I think it would be great to see them join up again and make music for the sake of music. I'm sure they would churn out some cool stuff.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote