Notifications
Clear all

Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 100 Guitar Songs

39 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

netflix rocks. I have seen some really good old film noire from Italy and France and the US too.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I love lists. They give a meaning to music.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I love lists. They give a meaning to music.
I love lists. they give meaning to me when I relate. :roll:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

King,

Editors/publishers look at this differently I think. This is about generating some type of interest in the magazine etc. and has nothing to do with being even close to reality. As a matter of fact that's probably not even a consideration.

This is exactly the case.

Rolling Stone knows their fan base, and they're catering to them, as well they should if they want to continue selling magazines. They know that the majority of their fan base have not heard, heard of, or simply do not like people such as Atkins, Django, Pass, etc. so putting them in there wouldn't make a whole lot of sense anymore than putting a Led Zeppelin song in a list in Jazz Times. I imagine most people who would put those guys in a list like this aren't reading Rolling Stone anyway.

And I don't think they're trying to convince anyone that this is some sort of legitimate list that is to be taken very seriously.

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

I like the list. It may not be entirely correct from a guitarist point of view, but as others have said for Rolling Stones audience it is perfect. And looking up some of the artists has lead me into new music that i can enjoy. Therefore its good from my point of view, but as with all of these lists, its a point of view, no one will agree with all of them but thats life.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

They know that the majority of their fan base have not heard, heard of, or simply do not like people such as Atkins, Django, Pass, etc. so putting them in there wouldn't make a whole lot of sense anymore than putting a Led Zeppelin song in a list in Jazz Times.

Except Page is talked about in jazz circles. Loads of jazz teachers use Stairway to Heaven to explain voice leading - it's an exceptionally good example of that. I've seen Jazz folks talk stones. Heck, one of the best concerts I've ever seen in my life was The Tim Ries: Rolling Stones Project a fantastic jazz show heartily endorsed by the Stones. And heartily covered by many jazz publications.

I get what your saying, but see, coming from a jazz perspective, we don't ignore other genres. We may not include many of them in lists about best jazz tunes, but then I really disdain lists in the first place :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

What Vic didn't make it ??

That list is so wrong :) :)

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@fever-and-hum)
Eminent Member

If I ask nicely, do you think we can sneak in "The Boxer" at 101. Written by "a common player in the key of C" named Paul Simon? He must've been on the cover of the Rolling Stone at some point since '67...?

I don't know where I have been, but I cannot play any of these songs (not even the intro to Stairway!). I probably don't know half of the listed songs, which gives me something to do between breaks in practicing... Thanks for the post....

Hum

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Maybe the editors don't read their own magazine?
But like dogbite said, the article not only specified
the list as guitar songs but
"guitar rock songs".
Maybe their "Love You Like a Rock" would qualify?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

so now any great song with a guitar in it qualifies as a "greatest guitar song"
pretty lame IMO.
i think for a song to be classified as a "greatest guitar song" it should involve some sort of unique guitar innovation or at least a standout lead part in it somewhere.
this list contains pretty much all great songs in their own right and I'm sure inspiring to new guitarists in their own genre, but "all time greatest guitar songs? not IMO

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

There are other lists out there that would probably suit you much better. But those are good songs, and if they get people interested in the guitar than surely thats a good thing?

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

suiting me has nothing to do with it, as i don't need a list to inspire me or justify liking a song.
i was trying to make a point for clarification.
and to underscore the inane title of the list itself.
i could care less what guitar magazine, or Rolling *rap or whatever overpriced rag says is supposed to be "the best".
i've never looked to what others thought to measure the worth of what i've liked or disliked, that is more in the spirit of Rock & Roll imo.
but as i also suggested, if it inspires someone to pick up a guitar, then good.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

The list is also ludicrously rock-centric KP, the article itself described that it's Rock & Roll songs right up front. Very poor list title.

Still though, it's just another list. What I cannot stand are the reviews they (and countless others) have done. I don't know where they get those people. :roll:
The two sentence mini review or justifications for the song inclusions are the fun part of the list. Better then just saying song X number 44. What was interesting are the artist chosen for the mini interviews and cover art. Like it or not, I like it by the way, is the status of John Mayer put up as the equal as the Rolling Stone generation's or the next generation's of guitar gods.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

To do list...check!
Food shopping list...check!
Follow up list at work...check!
Household chores list...check!
Places I want to see before I die...check!
Women I want to meet before I die...check!
Vacation list...check!
List of top 100 guitar songs...check!
List of every other list in existence.....

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

I think blueline makes a good point, we have lists for everything. Maybe its just a human trait?

Jack

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3