Satriani vs Coldplay affair

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Reuters reports that guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani has sued Coldplay, accusing the Grammy-nominated stars of plagiarising one of his songs.
The comment and the video.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Well they did change the key at least ... :lol:

Vanilla Ice, anyone?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'd say Satch has got a point....rip-off was the first word that sprang to mind. The way the youtube guy's put the music together makes it pretty obvious.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds pretty obvious to me. :roll:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yep, awfully similar, though I suppose it could have been unintentional plagiarism. I'm reminded of "He's So Fine" and "My Sweet Lord" (though the differences between those two seemed a bit more substantial).

According to the news report I heard today, there's an earlier suit against them for plagiarism as well, though that suit's still not been settled.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Wow... that is pretty similar. There is some major interest... that video was viewed over a million times and has 10,000+ comments!!!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Hmmm... Satch should be careful what he wishes for... he could be on the receiving end of a suit too :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vASdN1WZWAM

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Balin's song is copyrighted 1981 -- the plot thickens!

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Jeez, what a bunch of crap. The chords are similar and the first three notes are the same. The general 'vibe' is the same because both Coldplay and Satriani are terribly bland and uncreative acts. You can trace these melodies and progressions back a few centuries if you want. If I were Satch I'd shut the hell up and spend that time on writing something new. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Jeez, what a bunch of crap. The chords are similar and the first three notes are the same. The general 'vibe' is the same because both Coldplay and Satriani are terribly bland and uncreative acts. You can trace these melodies and progressions back a few centuries if you want. If I were Satch I'd shut the hell up and spend that time on writing something new. :roll:

Totally agree. Oasis did well not to proceed in court against 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams'.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Coldplay have called the alleged similarities between their hit single Viva La Vida and Joe Satriani's If I Could Fly "entirely coincidental".
Please, read all the comments by Coldplay here...

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

In defence of Joe, Chris Martin said, months ago before the release, that the entire album was 'just a mix of ripped-off parts hopefully hidden enough not be noticable.' Might have been a joke but it sure wont help him with this thing. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

In a related note, German guitarist Jürgen Winter recently won a Munich court case claiming that Gary Moore stole "Still Got the Blues" from him (specifically solo and outro -- which Winter broadcast in the 70s though he never released it on record). Moore has appealed the verdict.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote