58 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
15.4 K Views
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

To all Metallica Fans please follow this link and sign the petition to have Metallica's long time time producer (Bob Rock) changed.

All the reasons are included in an open letter to the band.

http://www.petitiononline.com/SaveMet/

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

MH, I am not a fan, but have a question. Why would one assume Metallica's latest/current creative direction is so critically dependent upon the producer's influence? Seems as if a band comprised of such strong personalities would know what it likes and wants to do. Granted, new blood and strong production can help, but in Metallica's case, it would seem the band is probably in fairly good control of it's music and not easily pushed in directions it doesn't wish to go. For better or worse, you may simply be seeing the difference between a young, hungry band and a bunch of vets whose voice is less original and less provocative than it once was.

-G

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member

I have to say, the only petetion I would sign would be to ask them to STFU.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Yeah, I personally think that Bob Rock had one of the best influences on the band: I mean, I love albums like Kill em all and Ride the lightning and And Justice for all but a band has to change or else things get stagnant: for example, Led Zeppelin changed over time, same with the Beatles.

P.S- I doubt Metallica would even read the petition, much less actually fire Bob Rock.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

MH, I am not a fan, but have a question. Why would one assume Metallica's latest/current creative direction is so critically dependent upon the producer's influence? Seems as if a band comprised of such strong personalities would know what it likes and wants to do

Granted, new blood and strong production can help, but in Metallica's case, it would seem the band is probably in fairly good control of it's music and not easily pushed in directions it doesn't wish to go

True But there have been allot of changes in metallica's approach to making music in the last 3 years primarily kicked of before-during the ST Anger recording sessions. They are in allot of ways not the same band.

Also considering that Bob Rock has been with the band for about 15 years now (by metallica's choice) but the injection of new blood can do nothing but good. we see the clear evidence of that when he came on board for the black album, it was huge. Personally i signed the petition not as a "Bob Rock Sucks" but as a hope that a new producer will breath new life into the band. Tension produces results (phil towle :? ) and i believe that. The making of the Black album shows that. And when you're that comfortable with someone complacency has a tendency to creep in, and your results suffer

Minus Human

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

Unless Bob Rock forces Metallica at gunpoint to write songs the way he wants them written, he can't be held responsible for the absolute dirge they've been churning out.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Blaming the producer for a bands lack of creativity is like blaming McDonalds for people being fat.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

^haha

I was under the impression that Metallica was still a super-star band... Obviously SOMEONE like's what they are doing.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

BEEEEEER-GOOOOOOOD, NAPSTER_BAAAAAD. :evil: :lol: :lol:

metallica is still a good band, we don't need to "save them" :roll:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Honestly, I can't beleive this thread.

It isn't like they hired a new guy who screwed things up and mixed stuff against their wishes (Phil Spectre and the Beatles for instance!! By all accounts Spectre putting all the strings on the Long And Winding Road was the end of that particular experiment!), this guys been with the band for years.

I totally agree, its not the producers fault if they can't cut it any longer.

I think HE should leave them, not the other way round!!!!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@scrogdog)
Estimable Member

Try Megadeath instead. :)

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

metallica is still a good band, we don't need to "save them" :roll:

I completely agree with you, I don't see how St. Anger was THAT bad of an album... sure, it was a change but I think it was real and raw and stood out; qualities that metallica has always set out to do. As far as metallica not cutting it anymore, that couldn't be anymore false in my opinion. I was at both the Hamilton and Toronto, Canada shows from their past tour and they were on top of their game... sure, they aren't the same band they were 20 years ago; but if they were same for 20 years I (among many other people) would not listen to them.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

What sort of pansies are we talking about, here? I thought Metallica was supposed to be heavy something or other.

Get a grip, lads (lasses?).

If they were anything but nancies, they'd tell the producer what's what.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Woah !!! i think some people could be missing the point of this post. Allot of people signed it not as a dislike to Bob Rock but to get new life into the band. Change can be a good thing for everyone.

I've been a metallica Fan for 14 years now there's no band I love more.
I also find it strange that people would say that a producer has little or no influence on a band and their sound. especially when you've been in a working relationship with someone since 1990, there is bound to be an exchange of ideas, some good some bad. They have a mutual respect for one another, if Bob Rock suggest lyrics for ST Anger (and he has writing credit on all the songs on that album) they will certainly not dismiss them without considering it first) the same goes for the music.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is it does matter which producer you're working with. It was the change of producer - combined with the right songs - new recording approach that made the black album what it is. Why is it so wrong to say that maybe a fresh personality can bring new Enthusiasm to a new project?

Minus Human

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Woah !!! i think some people could be missing the point of this post. Allot of people signed it not as a dislike to Bob Rock but to get new life into the band. Change can be a good thing for everyone.

Minus Human

I think your missing the point, apparently the band is pleased with mister Rock or they would fire him. Bands do it all the time without help from fans. I don't want someone tell me what to do with my music unless I ask them. If I was in a band and got a petition like that I would be offended by it. Your pretty much telling them you think their music sucks. Of coarse you are being nice enough to blame the producer for their music sucking instead of the band. I'm sure the band will really appreciate that. imho.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4