Notifications
Clear all

Seeking advice on selecing a strat

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@pane-in-the-glass)
Topic starter  

I'm considering getting a second-hand strat. I have a few options, and I'd appreciate your advice and opinions.

One option is a Squier strat off of Craigslist for $135. It's listed as a 1980's model, but I don't know if it was made in Japan.

Another option is another Craigslist deal, a Mexican Fender Strat with gig bag and strap for $250. I'm going to see if I can talk it down to $200. I don't know the year of manufacture, but I'd guess no earlier than 2005.

And finally, I could get a Peavey Predator with a hard-shell case from a friend. He hasn't quoted me a price yet, but I'm anticipating a number between 100~200. He said he thinks he got it in the mid 90's, so it may have been made in America. Yes, I know, that's a lot of speculation.

I haven't gotten my hands on any of these guitars yet, but it seems like between the three of them, it'd be hard to go wrong. I like the Squier because it's an 80's model, and everything I've read says that those are good guitars. I like the Fender because it's name-brand, looks nice, and has a good price. I like the Peavey because it comes with a strong endorsement (my friend is an active musician, and this was his first guitar. He really likes it, but needs the space for other things.).

So what do you think? Is there a clear front runner or underdog? What are are the hallmarks of a good strat? What are the signs of a bad one? Of these, which would be your first choice? Which would be your last?

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I don't think there is any clear cut winner by specs alone you need to touch each of those guitars to see which one actually feels better in your hands and sounds right.

Doesn't matter what year they are made you can get a lemon from any year/price range so it's always good to test drive before you buy.

And even if you are a beginner and don't know what to play just holding them you should be able to tell which one feels more comfortable.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Pretty much what cnev said. Try and get your hands on them.

How they have been treated since they left the factory is as important as what they were like when they left the factory.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@pane-in-the-glass)
Topic starter  

Okay, thanks! I'll give these guys a test drive and see how they feel. I agree that the best guitar is the one you'll play, and the one you'll play is the one you like. Still, it's nice to verify that I'm not missing something obvious. I'd rather ask now than regret later.

Again, thank you for your feedback. It was both helpful and appreciated.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

For what it's worth I have a 2005 MIM Strat that's my main guitar. I think it was around $325 or so new when I bought it so the $250 price is good as long as it's still in good condition.

Besides holding it, take a look down the neck and make sure it isn't bowed or twisted.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@pane-in-the-glass)
Topic starter  

Yeah, $250 is a good price, but before I started looking at guitars, I started looking at my budget. I set my ceiling at $175, and even that was being generous (I've seen a lot of Affinities. Go figure :lol: ). If the price is firm and the guitar feels right, I'd part with the extra cash, but if the price is flexible, so much the better.

I'll be sure to check the neck and the frets, twist the tuners and knobs, and toggle the switches. Any tips for gauging the neck, or should I be able to eyeball it?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Any tips for gauging the neck, or should I be able to eyeball it?
You should be able to eye ball it.

I had an '05 MIM like cnev, only mine stunk. It had a bit too much twist in the neck and even was too tempermental after that. Hated it. Got rid of it. That's the scary part. I didn't know to look down the neck at the time. I don't even know if it would have made a huge difference. Maybe it went from straight to a little twist in three years? I did go to a GC a couple years back and look down the neck on 4 or 5 MIMs. 1/2 were twisted worse than mine was, IIRC. The replacement was better, but it was not perfect. There is an optical illusion factor too. Maybe it's got something to do with string guage thickness? Not sure. At any rate, none of my other guitars have this. Even my MIM and Squire Teles.

I'm going to go over and look at new Squire Strats tomorrow, I think. See if they're any better. Mostly for fun, but axe-mas is right around the corner. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

In my experience, Squier Strats are nice guitars - I had one a few years back, I wanted a low-budget electric guitar so asked for advice on these forums. The Squier Strat got a few good write-ups, so I went with that. The one and only problem I had with it was the whammy bar; every time I touched it the guitar went out of tune. Took the whammy bar off, no problem. Now one guitar going out of tune doesn't necessarily mean they all will; admittedly, my experience of Squier Strats is limited to that guitar, but with that particular type of bridge, it may be a problem if you're heavy on the tremolo. You know the adage - try before you buy!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I don't think that the Squier will be a Japanese one (JV or Silver series) , they are commanding good prices, these days. The older, better quality ones are "Made in Japan", the newer, lower quality ones are "Crafted in Japan". But then, I'm sure that someone will argue that because it is "Crafted in Japan" it isn't of lower quality, just like building a factory in China doesn't mean good quality.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@pane-in-the-glass)
Topic starter  

Well it looks like this discussion may be purely academic. I was expecting to hear back about the MIM, and I was hoping to hear back about the Squier, but so far I haven't heard back from anybody.

The Squier probably wasn't a JV or anything, but then again, maybe someone was cleaning out their attic and didn't know its worth. Besides, as you say, just because it's not a JV doesn't mean it's not a good guitar.

Also, I wasn't trying to impugn the Affinities, just point out that there are a lot of them in this price range. They are a popular model, and, I believe, with good reason.
The one and only problem I had with it was the whammy bar; every time I touched it the guitar went out of tune.

Out of curiosity, do you know what guage strings you were using? I know that lighter strings are more susceptible to this sort of behavior. Do you think a heavier guage would've sufficiently mitigated against it?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Out of curiosity, do you know what guage strings you were using? I know that lighter strings are more susceptible to this sort of behavior. Do you think a heavier guage would've sufficiently mitigated against it?

I bought the guitar brand new; I'm pretty sure it came with 9's already on. I know I changed the strings fairly soon, and at that time I would've changed them to Ernie Balls 9's after a couple of weeks. I haven't actually heard that light strings are more susceptible to going out of tune, but then again, I remember the guitar did stay in tune pretty well after I removed the whammy bar. Perhaps heavier strings would help - I use 9's on all my guitars - but someone more experienced than me with using the tremolo arm would have to answer that one!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I had a similar same experience with a MIM I had that Vic describes. I could get away with doing just light vibrato. Anything beyond say 1/4 note was instantly out of tune.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@pane-in-the-glass)
Topic starter  

Found some new contestants!

A sunburst Samick Malibu Greg Bennett signature for $100, a green Squier Affinity for $110, and the Peavey is still on the table.

I really like the looks of the green Affinity, but it sounds like the Samick's have good playability. I'll get them in my hands and see how they feel and sound.

Here's another one I found, but unfortunately, it's a bit out of my reach: G&L S-500, Sunburst

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The G&L are very good guitars! Good electronics and good finishes! There are two series: the most expensive is made in America, the Tribute series are made in Indonesia or Korea (I don't remember exactly the country) with the same electronics and hardware.

I tried a Greg Bennett and I don't like them. In Squier, try to find a Classic Vibe series. They will be more expensive than Affimity but my bass is a Classic Vibe and I am very happy.

ReplyQuote