Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Self Taught

Page 1 / 3

(@ness-k)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Are there any self taught guitarists out there? Everything I know on the guitar i studied and taught my self without anyone literally showing me how to do it or without lessons!

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

(@blueline)
Noble Member

Ness, I would estimate about 95% (or more) of the people on GN are self taught. Its a wonderfull thing eh?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I had six months of lessons and forty two years of playing (self taught).

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Mostly self taught (2.5-3 years), although I did do a set of 4 group lessons last summer.

I probably would have got a lot more out of them if I had not been doing 20+ hours/week overtime at the same time (no time to practice between lessons, was late for one of the lessons...) :?

Maybe sometime I'll try lessons again, but I seem to have less "hobby time" available to me now than at any time in my life. :(

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Come to think of it...I had a few lessons. Each time I saw Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Frank Zappa, Jimmy Page, Alex Lifeson, John Petrucci,Eric Johnson,SRV,...was a lesson. I learned I'll never be that good!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

Can any of us really say we're 100% self-taught? I am "self-taught", but a lot of my breakthroughs came from reading, watching and listening.

I am a big proponent of learning by yourself. You aren't as subject to the assumptions and habits of your formal teachers and may be more predisposed to come up with new sounds and styles. A lot of the self-taught people started new genres or developed idosyncratic techniques. I'd venture to say that self-teaching is good for the entire art form that is music!

Of course, a teacher can help you improve and conquer plateaus much faster than you can on your own at times...

Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Honorable Member

The problem is that my teacher is an idiot. (I'm self taught.)

I've never had a guitar lesson. Does that make me 100% self taught? Well, friends who play show me stuff when we play together. And I've picked up a lot of stuff from Mr Hodge and others on this site. (THANKS guys!)

I'm also a teacher. (Not guitar. I suck at guitar.) But something I see again and again in my teaching is that people learn best as part of a community where everybody is dedicated to learning. It's not always about someone to teach you, it's about someone to learn with you.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Like others said, I've never had a lesson, so in that respect I am self taught. But like everyone else, I learned wherever I could, watching people play, guitar magazines and books, listening and copying recordings... If I could steal a lick, I did. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@billyboy)
Trusted Member

Me too. Although I can read music (I played trumpet and sax up till 12th grade, I still play piano here and there) the only formal guitar lessons I've had was a handful of classical lessons when I was about 15. It lasted a month.

My 'lessons' were (and still are) long hours working through tabs of favorite songs in magazinesbooks on my own, wouldn't have had it any other way. And it's free :)

I know lessons would certainly help, and I'm always toying with the idea, but never get around to it.

"In my dreams your blowin' me... some kisses" - Lets Duet - Dewford Randolph Cox

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Are there any self taught guitarists out there? Everything I know on the guitar i studied and taught my self without anyone literally showing me how to do it or without lessons!

Good for you - learning your own way is very satisfying. :D But I don't think that there's really such a thing as a completely self taught guitarist. EVERYBODY learns from somebody else, they just don't happen to have their teacher sitting in front of them. I've learned from many teachers - a couple were in the room with me, but some were the authors of books, writers of forum posts, and - most of all - composers and players of music that I listened to.

The opposite is also true - NOBODY can learn it all from a teacher, no matter how many lessons you have. Only you can take the ideas and information and build it into your brain and fingers. And you'll always learn some cool stuff all by yourself too....

To put it another way (Caution: Boasting Alert) ... I designed built an entire house on my own, without ever having had any training or lessons as a carpenter, cabinet-maker, glazier, or any of around 15 trades and professions involved. But there's no way I could have done that if I'd never seen a house before, and never had the experience of demolishing a few to pick up some ideas on how they are built. One way or another, I've also been subconsciously demolishing music and storing information about how it's done for years. I just hope I can build something useful out of it...

Good luck with the journey,

Chris

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Both life and guitar are self-taught...aren't they?

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I got lessons from dhodge.

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

I guess i'm self taught even though I have learned sooooooo much from others!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I got some lessons 25 years ago while I was in the school. Perhaps one course. I left it with the barre chords.

I started again 2 years ago and I'm self taught with the help of this site and several books.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Good for you - learning your own way is very satisfying. But I don't think that there's really such a thing as a completely self taught guitarist. EVERYBODY learns from somebody else, they just don't happen to have their teacher sitting in front of them. I've learned from many teachers - a couple were in the room with me, but some were the authors of books, writers of forum posts, and - most of all - composers and players of music that I listened to.

Nail-on-the-head there, Chris. Doesn't matter how much you listen and watch others playing, ultimately it's your own playing and experience that will shape you as a guitarist. It's how you use the tools at your disposal.

I had three or four lessons back when I was 18 or so - but it was a group session, and most of the first lesson seemed to be playing three blind mice and twinkle twinkle little star. The rest of the time seemed to be spent on theory and reading music - I wanted to play songs! Of course, with hindsight, I wish I'd stuck at it now.....

A lot of things I've worked out for myself over the years, though - Barre chords, for example, I worked out from first principles. "Hmm - that's an E chord - and that's an F chord - so if I move that shape up another fret it'll be an F# chord..." - same with powerchords and blues shuffles.

Transposition was another thing - if there was a song using Bb, Eb and F, I'd change the chords to A D and E, or possibly G C and D to suit my voice. Nobody showed me how to do that - I had to work it out for myself. No internet back then!

I've noticed over the years, though, that things I've had to work out for myself - the barres, the powerchords, transposition, etc - tend to stick in the memory longer than things I've been shown, or taught. And of course there's always the "smug git" factor - nothing more satisfying than nailing something you've been struggling with, especially if you can say "All my own work!"

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3