Clear all

Self taught

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the topic of being "self taught"?

My thought is that one learn's an instrument outside of a accredited, formal school of music and that your self motivated, even if taking lessons from a professional teacher. What do you think?

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

if a person has never played an instrument I would say get a few lessons.
with a basic understanding of how the instrument works and can be played iswell worth it.
from there you will be able to move confidently forward.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the topic of being "self taught"?

My thought is that one learn's an instrument outside of a accredited, formal school of music and that your self motivated, even if taking lessons from a professional teacher. What do you think?

What are your thoughts on the *definition" of the term "self taught"?

ReplyQuote
(@scrogdog)
Estimable Member

I think that this is less a question of what is good for everyone and more of a question of what works for you.

Music is somewhat like math and you need to understand the nature of it. Some folks are very intuitive with math and music and need little in the way of instruction from a pro to truly "get it".

I am not one of those... unfortunately.

Of course, one's approach might be different if he or she aspires to be a pro themselves… in some fashion. If you just play for enjoyment, then it may be less important to you to understand music theory than it is to bring a few smiles at a cookout with some well-practiced hummin' and strummin'. :)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

"Self Taught' is nonsense. We all learn from others, wehther that is at a music school, on the internet, from books or by watching concerts. Whether you like it or not you are taught by those around you and there is preciously little self-teaching involved. As for the use of getting a teacher: having a trained and skilled person helping you out can only be positive. Get a teacher if you have the time and money.

ReplyQuote
(@soundgarden)
Trusted Member

You can still do all the "Self Taught" stuff even if you are in lessons. Sacrificing 1 hours noodling time in a week of practice isn't much of a loss anyway. Being taught by a professional dosn't mean that you are forced to adhere to what is set out in the lessons, you can still be just as driven and self motivated with lessons. Teachers are a real help it is (no offence intended) arrogant to assume that someone new to an instrument can do a better job of teaching themselves on it than someone who has spent years around that particular instrument. Also teachers are a great way to correct small problems in you're technique, for example you might need a teacher to get you to work on you're pinky finger.

Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with with your self esteem. Kurt Cobain
Have you seen the roses? There's a whole lot of colours. Syd Barret

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I learned to read music from my old school headmistress. I learned where the notes were on a guitar neck from a book that came with my first guitar. I learned chords from a David Bowie songbook. I learned to play lead from a cassette and tab-based course I bought from an ad in the NME (or was it Musicians Only - can't remember). I had lessons from a real live human being for Classical when I started out playing that. I've just ordered a book/cd/dvd method to try and learn flamenco.

I guess learned to recognise when I play to an acceptable standard, but I didn't actually teach myself very much at all.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I've been self taught by everyone. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have 25 notebooks full of me trying to figure out things, so I'm pretty sure I taught myself something. I've got my own way of remembering scales. I've figured out a way how to come-up with cool scale sequences etc...

Even though a book told me what a scale or a scale sequence is. It didn't tell me the best way to learn it for myself. I'm an individual...

good point.....

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

But what is the point? So what if you are "self taught" what does that mean? Nothing! I really don't beleive anyone is truly self taught but to me there seems no real reason to ever discuss the topic yet it comes up all the time and it always boils down to a couple of things.

Either someone mentions they are self taught as a crutch, they either talk about as if I could have been so much better but I couldn't afford lessons and I had to teach myself or they try embellish their playing by adding that "I was self taught" as if because they play that well and were self taught they are somehow superior...either way who cares.

Can you play music at the correct tempo, without mistakes etc. that's all that matters is the end result, how you get there doesn't.

Just my two cents.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote