Skip to content
Selling my Oscar Sc...

Notifications
Clear all

Selling my Oscar Schmidt OE-30 .... Right price?(UPDATE)

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

OK, not sure if anyone is familiar with these. They started out on Musicians Friend for arounf $239 and gradually got cheaper ALA Squire 51 untill they were giving them away. Well, not quite but I think they may have Stupid Dealed for $99. I paid $129 for mine. I had to do some work on the nut to get it to intonate but all in all a servicable guitar. I heard there were some turds.

Crazy people on E-Bay want crazy money for them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/OSCAR-SCHMIDT-DELTA-KING-BY-WASHBURN-OE-30-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ200547255959QQcategoryZ33034QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D180608189658%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6979996682627825277

My buddy and long time friend at work inquired if I might sell it. I said I would probably ask $100 but might be talked down and thought it would probably be worth $75 to me as a trade. When he said he wanted it I said, well $50 for you then. He said no, he insisted on giving me more money. We are in a reverse negotiation on this. :lol: I said keep it up and I will give it to you for free.

My question is, should I let him pay me what he wants or should I stick to my guns.

We had a very heavy snow the other day. My buddy lives a ways away but has appartments near where I live. He shows up on my steps wanting to plow my driveway cause he didn't want me shoveling the heavey snow. Thats just the way he is. I could go on and on with things he has done for me over the years.

PS Mine is in alot better shape than the E-Bay sample I provided.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Oh if I had the cash....that looks like an awesome guitar...good luck!

I would stick to your guns, just based on the fact that he's seemed to do alot for you, and seems to be an overall nice guy.

Seriously though, if you have that in like 2 months....I'd be big time interested.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Heck of a question- for what's it's worth:

I imagine the geetar is worth a hundred bucks, or maybe more. It may have been a stupid deal on MF, but it isn't now- a decent hollowbody electric is hard to find at that price. If it's in good shape, and I know you baby your axes, I'd pay you $100 for it without blinking.

I imagine the friend is worth more than $100, though. ;-) If it were me...I'd think about his point of view. If he's flush, and the money isn't a big deal to him, he may feel more comfortable paying you around the going price so he doesn't feel like he's taking advantage of your friendship. If that's the case, take a fair price, by the man a couple of beers, and call it good.

If it seems like he wants the axe but money is something of an issue to him, give it to him. I don't know much about your situation, but it sounds like a guitar you won't miss too much. (If I recall, you have a couple of other guitars, doncha? :lol: ) If you go this route, he buys beers.

(I'm not real practical, hate doing anything money related with friends.)

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Why don't you take what he's offereing, but slip a few sets of strings, a good quality cable or maybe a nice strap into the case (if it has one). Then, both of you feel that you got a deal.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Why don't you take what he's offereing, but slip a few sets of strings, a good quality cable or maybe a nice strap into the case (if it has one). Then, both of you feel that you got a deal.
I put the new strings on it yesterday and the new strap is in the gig bag along with pics. :lol: I have a cheap pedal tuner I'm not using. I could throw that in, cause if I know my friend, and I do, he will insist on giving me what the thing is worth.

If it seems like he wants the axe but money is something of an issue to him, give it to him.

I did mention above he was plowing the lot at the appartment building he owns didn't I? :lol: No, he can afford it. Both he and his wife are RN's and his kids are grown and married. He could just buy a new one but he wants one of mine cause he knows it has been cared for and set up. I want him to have it cause it will be a good home for it.

Next question ....... what gear do i buy with the money? :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sometimes you have to just plan to win the next battle, when you have the upper hand. :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

He's working tomorrow, I'm not ....... but I'm gonna run it into him and I'll let you know how it turns out.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I predict it will go very well!! Good luck with your sale!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@sean0913)
Trusted Member

OK, not sure if anyone is familiar with these. They started out on Musicians Friend for arounf $239 and gradually got cheaper ALA Squire 51 untill they were giving them away. Well, not quite but I think they may have Stupid Dealed for $99. I paid $129 for mine. I had to do some work on the nut to get it to intonate but all in all a servicable guitar. I heard there were some turds.

Crazy people on E-Bay want crazy money for them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/OSCAR-SCHMIDT-DELTA-KING-BY-WASHBURN-OE-30-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ200547255959QQcategoryZ33034QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D180608189658%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6979996682627825277

My buddy and long time friend at work inquired if I might sell it. I said I would probably ask $100 but might be talked down and thought it would probably be worth $75 to me as a trade. When he said he wanted it I said, well $50 for you then. He said no, he insisted on giving me more money. We are in a reverse negotiation on this. :lol: I said keep it up and I will give it to you for free.

My question is, should I let him pay me what he wants or should I stick to my guns.

We had a very heavy snow the other day. My buddy lives a ways away but has appartments near where I live. He shows up on my steps wanting to plow my driveway cause he didn't want me shoveling the heavey snow. Thats just the way he is. I could go on and on with things he has done for me over the years.

PS Mine is in alot better shape than the E-Bay sample I provided.

Yeah I've been in your shoes, I'm notorious for giving stuff away. I just said, "hey you're my buddy, I have gotten much more value out of our friendship. Don't sweat it, take my guitar, it all works out in more ways than financial. Just take it". If they didn't take it at that point, I say, "fine, give me your money" :) I think it's important that you don't have a running "balance sheet" with your friends, and that they understand it as well, and they realize if it goes like it should, you both win in the value of the friendship over the course of a lifetime, because its all give and take.

Best,

Sean

Guitar Instructor/Mentor
Online Guitar School for Advanced Players
http://rnbacademy.com

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The chess game continues. Dropped it off with the extra stuff. He wanted to know when I was working again to get me the money. I knew he would do this. He is going to leave it with someone else to give to me so I can't say it's too much. Updates to come.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I've played this game before, TR- it always happens. (My parents, unbelievably wound up playing this game with a HOUSE- We're from Iowa, what can I say?)

Take whatever he pays you graciously- and put it towards your new amp! It's the only way...

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

OK, so Steve gave me $80 for the guitar and I had thrown in extras so I came out so so on the deal. My plan, knowing he wanted me to order him some strap locks, was to just buy them for him. We put in an order last night at work (Shhhhhh!) and I ordered myself some strings. He got a strap and 2 sets of strap locks. (One set for his other guitar). It comes to $52.88, $19.99 of it being my 5 pk of strings. He gives me $40 and won't take change! :x So, I will install them for him and find something else to give him. Bet that other guitar needs a setup and strings!

ReplyQuote