Notifications
Clear all

Semi Hollows

24 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

finally, the OE30 is a great guitar for the $$, as is a Squier '51, but that's what we call damning praise. you can do better.
Agreed, for all the positives about these cheap guitars (and I don't think you can even buy them anymore) there are negatives, mainly the bolt on neck. I bought it to have a semi in my collection, was so cheap I couldn't pass it up. Not really my style but I was suprised how versatile they are. At this point though, I might consider owning a better quality semi.

I didn't quote the whole post as to save space, but exellent advice from Gnease as usual. Anyone considering buying a semi should scroll up and read it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Roy and company - before you purchase I would check out the Hamer Echotone. Thee are generally in the same price range ($250 - $450) and I find that the quality control for Hamer products is far superior to Ibanez and Epiphone. I don't have experience with the Gretsch guitars, although I must admit that I played one of their solid-body (smaller LP type) with a bigsby a while back and WAS TOTALLY impressed. The Jet maybe? It was black with thumbnail markers. I was very tempted to pick it up.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Here is the guitar I tried out... I think it was $400 or so at GC about 2 years ago. Really played well!

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRETSCH-G5235T-PRO-JET-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-w-BIGSBY_W0QQitemZ330324226478QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item330324226478&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A15%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@isingtheblues4u)

He guys, I have found a Delta King that looks exactly like the ones pictured (Black OE30) in this forum only it has 2 toggles. Can anyone help me identify the model, approx. age, value and what the second toggle is for? Thanks Mark

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

He guys, I have found a Delta King that looks exactly like the ones pictured (Black OE30) in this forum only it has 2 toggles. Can anyone help me identify the model, approx. age, value and what the second toggle is for? Thanks Mark

Are you sure that the second switch is original? Where is the second toggle located? Does it look like the pickup selector toggle? When you switch this second toggle do you hear any change in the sound of the guitar? Likely possibilities are:

• pickup coil splitting -splitting the humbucker coils and only using one of them

• phase - putting the two pickups out of phase with each other

• overall series/parallel - putting the two pickups in series or parallel with each other

• pickup series/parallel - putting the two coils of the same pickup in series or parallel

• onboard effects

• some combination of the above
  • Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
    (@isingtheblues4u)

Hyper, thanks for the resopnse. To answer your questions...I am not sure that it s original, but it looks factory. The second switch is locatd about half was between the first switch (which is in the same location as found on the OE30) and where the neck is connected to the body of the guitar. The guitar is used and I haven't meet the guy to run it through it's paces just yet and was making an effort to arm myself with the right information for when I did. So, I don't know what the second switch does exactly. I have asked him and should have an answer shortly, but I don't know the source and how truethful he is. He may give it to me straight or be full if it. I thought that guys on here may help me so I could better tell when I meet him to check out the guitar (which is in amazing condition.....by the photos). Thanks again, Mark

ReplyQuote
    (@isingtheblues4u)

Hyper,

I just heard back from the owner of the Washburn Delta King. The model is OE-30/BK and the second toggle is custom, just adds some different tonalities according to the owner. Does anyone have an idea of what it may be worth? or what you would pay for the guitar if it was you looking at it. I am just making sure I don't pay tomuch for it, if I pick it up.

Thanks,
    Mark

ReplyQuote
    (@scrybe)
    Famed Member

I hated the ubiquity of the Gibby 335 for ages - the look and sound was just too common for me. I still find the 335 tonally limited but, having had the opportunity to ply my tutor's guitar at length while on my workshop with him last month, I'm in love! They're just sooooo bloody comfortable to play - flat picking, finger-picking, the whole works, the upper horn is just perfectly placed for me, and the neck is gorgeous. I'm a convert to the world of semis!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
    (@hyperborea)
    Prominent Member

I just heard back from the owner of the Washburn Delta King. The model is OE-30/BK and the second toggle is custom, just adds some different tonalities according to the owner.

Most likely possibility is a coil cut switch. This sort of simulates single coil pickups but not really. An interesting sound option.
    Does anyone have an idea of what it may be worth?

Check eBay's completed auctions as a source of data. I see only 2 that sold recently - $147.50 and $157.50. There were a few more with prices in the $300 to $500 range that didn't sell. I also see one on my local craigslist asking $150 with a hardshell case.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
    Page 2 / 2