Clear all

SG pickups

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Got a line on an SG with all of the electronics and hardware stripped for dirt cheap. Looking for suggestions on aftermerket covered humbuckers. I've got the bigsby and roller bridge that fits on the existing posts (haven't figured out what tuners I want to use yet). I think I could pretty easily find something similar to stock SG pups, but haven't switched out pups much on anything. I like gain, but I like to roll back for clean too. Any suggestions welcome!

Peace,
Jick

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Visit The Best Show on WFMU at wfmu.org

(@the-dali)
Noble Member

JB/JAZZ Duncan set is a great, balanced set.

If not, look for the standard Gibson 498T/490R.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Several of the guitar customizers here on GN speak highly of GuitarFetish's stuff.
I expect the PAF pickups would be close to Gibson's originals, or you might try something else for fun. Maybe P90s, or a set of heavy metal style Power Rails pickups?
They seem to have pretty good prices, so an experiment wouldn't be too costly.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

kent-eh
I am having trouble figuring out how to quote posters so I'm not gonna try anymore
:?: I learned how to do smileys and I'm exhausted from that.

So thanks I checked out guitar fetish and I will search the forums here about their pups but it doesn't seem like a big risk money-wise. I mean those are low-priced compared to most out there. If I don't like one I can probably sell it for 20 bucks and only feel like I spent the other 15-20 bucks on my own time messing around with it and thinking about it. Man if I actually paid myself for all the time I'm messing around with something, I'd be posting from my private island in the Bahamas...

I don't want to go with P-90s but I thought about it. So far I've only liked P-90s on a Reverend Slingshot and a certain LP jr. Something about them either works for me or doesn't, but when it's working it's fantastic. And I'm really not looking for something in the high gain/metal vein but more of a what I feel like a classic SG say, Angus Young (those were HBs, right?) or some of the Who. (Not that I'm saying I'd play that, but that sound.)

Sorry I'm new in the forums and tend to babble. I'm working on it...:x:

Dali
I put a JB jr in the bridge of a strat forced into being a hardtail and it changed the instrument completely. Awesome. I'm guessing the HB sized JB is great too. Do these clean up somewhat at lower volumes? And is the Jazz just a less gain JB and a little more low end? (I'm not an EE don;t know ohmage from homage).

Is the 498T/490R the Sg standard or is a LP or both? I've never figured out what pups are in my LP Studio, they were marketed as "burstbuckers" I think.

Thanks for the thoughts, I'll be more brief but as soon as I get the SG (I bought it in person but had it shipped home) I'll maybe give some progress with some photos (then again maybe no one cares). I've never really started from scratch on a guitar (the body and set neck are all pristine gloss black but there is nothing but the bridge posts as far as hardware...and the truss rod, I hope) I have no idea where the rest of the parts went, neither did the guy I bought it from. The guitar felt good, though, and the neck is straight and the frets pretty much new and even a little sharp. 75 bucks with a case and 20 to send it home. Pretty good deal in my eyes.

I'll keep you posted on this project if you want, provided I stick to it.

Peace,
Jick

"that deaf dumb and blind kid sure plays a mean pinball"

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Visit The Best Show on WFMU at wfmu.org

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Hi Jick,

The JB is a full, high-octane rock pickup. It cleans up ok, but it really shines when overdriven.

The Jazz is a cleaner pickup. It can get dirty, but excells at clean tones. It is VERY good at getting an AC/DC overdriven tone when cranked up. The JB will sound more like a "buzzsaw" at similar settings.

The LP Standards come with 498T/490R or Burstbuckers. I put the 498t/490r set in my SG and it CRANKS. Gibson makes the best humbuckers on the planet (in my opinion). I've never played the Burstbuckers. The main Gibson pickups:

The 490/490 set comes standard on the SG line, and is aggressive but more of a late 1960s/early 1970s overdriven sound.

The 498/490 set is standard on the majority of Les Pauls and provide more of a classic rock sound fromthe late 1970s (think Boston).

The Les Paul Classic and the Flying V/Explorer guitars come with 500t/496r sets which are CRAZY hot. Think Scorpions/Judas Priest. I love the 500/496.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Absolutely.
And pictures of guitars are always appreciated around here. :)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@desinet1)

Absolutely.
And pictures of guitars are always appreciated around here. :)

I Will also welcome that.

Vintage Guitars

ReplyQuote