Clear all

Should I get an acoustic amp?

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I like my new acoustic/electric alot. It sounds nice plugged into my PA system. My son tried his acoustic/electric bass through it but prefers a small 60 watt Electar bass amp he has with a 12" speaker. He thinks I should get a small amp for my guitar as well. I could use a regular electric guitar amp but I'm noticing most acoustic amps have small 8" speakers and obviously are designed to be painfully clean sounding. I see some I like that don't really cost alot either. Just looking for thoughts and opinions.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Acoustic amp is basically a small portable PA. Some do add coloration, and some even have tubes, but most as you said are very clean. It's a bit redundant if you already have a PA, but if you want the smaller size and portability, go for it. Genz Benz has some nice ones with 10" speakers. Also, a powered monitor (e.g., JBL EON) would be similar, and maybe more versatile.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I have a Dean Markley 25W amp with reverb that is only useful for acoustics. Do you want it?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I have a Dean Markley 25W amp with reverb that is only useful for acoustics. Do you want it?
I actually had an amp I'm not using that I was thinking of trading in for one.

Yeah, they are ike small PA's aren't they. I guess I am looking for the plugged in tone I get without starting up the whole PA system everytime. A powered monitor is an interesting thought as well.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Does your vyper have an acoustic setting?

Sorry, submitted too soon. Also meant to mention that some people use M-FX units, turn the preamps off and use whatever effects they want and go into the PA from there. I've played mine plugged in, but mostly just do it straight to my Behringer keyboard/PA unit.It's got an 18 inch speaker and projects an acoustic quite well.

I've never had an acoustic amp.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well essentially you have an acoustic amp then Roy. Your keyboard/PA is essentially the same thing. From what I have read and been advised, (thanks Mich) the speaker in a regular guitar amp colors the sound in a favorable way for electric guitar as does the amp itself. An acoustic amp is hi fi with clean sound reproduction. Just like a PA or keyboard amp. No go at the local music store. Rip off prices. $200 for a Crate that is $150 in Musicians Friend. Didn't even ask if they wanted my amp in trade. Had a wall of used amps including the head I traded last year for my Ibanez ART. $200 marked down to $180. (They gave me $100 for it) :roll: I decided to just order one.

Here is what I ordered:

15 watts, 8" speaker, wedge design, chorus and most important a line out. Perfect for practice or small rooms as is and plug it into the PA and use it as a monitor when we get our drummer and rock the world.

Oh! .................... $99

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Nice price and good features TR! I didn't add my two cents, but I agree with acoustic amps. I think that the idea of a powered monitor is better, more flexible later on. Personally, I had a Behringer which was good, but very mass produced, and I never kept it long enough to assess its longevity. I only intended to have it while awaiting a good deal on a Fender Acoustasonic - they impressed me pretty much, and so does the name "Crate" - there was a green one at a Pawn Shop $99 - it was this Cimarron. http://www.crateamps.com/products/pindex.php?prodID=35 But it didn't hold up to Crate's original standards from back in the day. Or... where's the features?

Pawn Shop searches brought me to my Roland Cube 20X; I couldn't turn it down, and when I got it home, it sounded better than the Behringer to me, but without a microphone jack. It had more FX and power, making clarity. The back end is closed of course. I actually didn't need a mic and that's unusual - I guess that you and most others do? I sold the Behringer anyway.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your input Blue Jay. The powered monitor thing is a good idea but I have enough PA stuff I don't need one. (3 PA systems) The acoustic amp is what I want. I decided on small cause if I go big it will be the PA.

The Cimeron was the Crate the music shop wanted $200 for. $99 is a fair price.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I just got a Fishman DI/EQ which works well with my Marshall 50W.

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

I've been considering the Roland AC-33... has anyone considered this? (I know NOTHING about amps so would appreciate any advice.)

:oops: Sorry about the hijack, TRG.

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

That looks like a real amp! I'm going on the cheap since I got a full PA to use. If I were spending that kind of cash I certainly would look at that one. Battery operation to boot! It is stereo, that is a plus. It has 2 chanels so you can add a microphone. Reverb and chorus! Ambience to give a 3D effect. A phrase looper........ could be a one person show with this. That is way more amp than the one I ordered.

ReplyQuote