Sickest Possible Guitar Riff Ever.

99 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
13.7 K Views
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

OMG. You guys. I was just surfin' the youtube and I saw another yngwie video (hes my favorite), and it was one Ive never seen before, and I just cant let this one go. Everyone please, go to this link, let it load, watch the whole vid if you want, but you malmsteen haters go ahead and just skip to the part once its fully loaded.

Go to 3:56 - 4:02 in the video. Holy. Sweet. God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZIHXKaVR9s

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I'm pretty sure Yngwie sold his soul to the devil, cause he doesn't have any soul. He is technically amazing, I just can't get into his music. I did own Trilogy when I was in high school.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Actually in the world of neoclassical speed metal, technically what he did was a riff compared to what is normally played. Most of the time, the rythems are actually based off of scales and that lick sounds much more like a bad riff then a lick.

Yes, He is technically, and emotionally amazing to me. Yngwie has alot of melodic material that no one has ever heard of, however he's quite the melodic type. But lets not start any arguments over jimi hendrix and malmsteen. :)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I don't really get Yngwie. I mean hes great in terms of his technical ability but I can't listen to him at all. He drives me off my head. Everything I've heard sounds the same, even that riff you're talking about. The only half different thing in that video is the riff he plays after that section.

Similarly, I don't get Hendrix that much either. I don't like his sound, think his technique isn't great. Don't see the hype about either really, as well as plently others. But maybe thats just me.

When it comes to shredders and Yngwie type music, I'm more in Joe Satriani, hes got some good grooves in his music.

I'm getting into this kid too, he's a young fella who lives a few hours away from me, pretty good talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFyYVLIPCws&feature=related

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I actually enjoyed that video, but probably for the wrong reasons. I have been trying to play faster for the last several years, and really trying to pick up the secrets of the shredders. I gotta say, he sure makes it look easy. I really didn't see as much alternating picking as I would have thought, he seems to use hammer-ons and pull-offs a lot.

So, I really respect him as a player. But like others, I can't get into that horrible tone he uses. And not just him, but a lot of Metal players use this awful tone. I know that is just an opinion, but I like a guitar to sound like a guitar, not a synthetic violin. It doesn't even sound like a violin, I love them.

Similarly, I don't get Hendrix that much either. I don't like his sound, think his technique isn't great. Don't see the hype about either really, as well as plently others. But maybe thats just me.

This is bound for Opinions, so here is mine. I can understand anyone not liking Hendrix, or any player for that matter. We all have different tastes in music. But I totally disagree with saying Hendrix's technique wasn't great. I can't think of anybody with more technique than Hendrix, he could make any sound imaginable on guitar. Great players are still scratching their heads trying to make the sounds he made with very limited effects. His sound was in his fingers.

And most people really think they know Hendrix but don't. You can't judge Jimi by Purple Haze, he hated that song himself. You have to listen to his albums just before his death. He was going Jazz. He would have been playing amazing music if not for his early death.

Wanna hear some good Hendrix listen to this. This recording is poor, if you ever hear a good recording of Astro Man it will blow your mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FteiRp5_ZNw

The shredders are great, but they just don't play with feeling like this.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

I'm not sure what's special about those six seconds but I did enjoy the video.

I don't get Jimi Hendrix either. I don't think his technique is great, and even if I did, I wouldn't like him. There are guitarists who most just play one fingered power chords that I like more than him. I watched the video you posted Wes and it's alot of the same thing I've heard from him already. The same slow melodic solos where the focus is vibratoing with feeling(a concept I don't believe in) while focusing on the notes he's not playing. Tone isn't anything out of the ordinary either, just the typical blues slightly broken up tone (which ironically is my amp on the clean channel). No doubt I'm over simplifying and I don't think he's a bad player or anything, just don't care much for it. I figure listening to music you don't like over and over is a lot like my refrigerator, it's loud an in your face but eventually the noise just blends into the background and you don't care.
But lets not start any arguments over jimi hendrix and malmsteen. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95SYIpB0njQ
Here's a nice compromise

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'm not going to participate in a "my hero is better than your hero" type thing either, but I will say that nobody would be what they are without the people that came before them. Thats Rock-n-Roll!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I'm not going to participate in a "my hero is better than your hero" type thing either, but I will say that nobody would be what they are without the people that came before them. Thats Rock-n-Roll!

Thats a great point. Although, like I said, I never got the hype about Hendrix, I understand his influence on people like Stevie Ray Vaughn and Mike McCready, two of my personal favourites. SRV in turn influences people like Doyle Bramhall II. So even guitar players I don't like have an impact on what I do like.

That being said, I still don't get the Yngwie Malmsteen. Sure I'd like to play faster, but not at the expense of sounding like a robot.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

So I'm kind of an off-and-on Malmsteen fan. I've got a bunch of his CDs (Trilogy, Rising Force, Marching Out, Unleash the Fury), but mostly cuz I can't help but respect his skills. Musically, most of his stuff doesn't do a whole lot for me, but the first two parts of tha clip were pretty cool, so I guess I have to get "Seventh Sign" now. Can't say that the bit at 3:56-4:02 does a whole lot for me, but whatever floats your boat man. What the crap CD is Adagio off of? The youtube thing says it's off Rising Force, but it's not on my copy.

Full disclaimer, my main guitar is actually a Malmsteen signature model, just cuz I like the scallopped neck, and those old school HS-3s (I have an '88) sound pretty freakin great. Strangely enough, I play sort of jazzy / surf stuff and they work great. Boost the crap out of them with a DOD-250 and then you get closer to Yngwie's sound.

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

"Today I shall play this riff/lick at 325, 240 BPM!"

"Hmm, sounds just like the other one to me......"

"No, no, no, that was 325,244 BPM! Can't you tell the difference?!?!?"

Sorry, but that's the way I look at Yngwie, Vai et al - a triumph of technique over expression. Music's supposed to make you FEEL.....OK, Yngwie might make me look, but ultimately, to me, everything sounds the same. Not saying the guy can't play - he very obviously can - and I'm not saying I wouldn't like to play as fast as those guys - I would love to have their technique - but I want music that makes me think, or feel, or want to dance.

I listen to about 2 minutes worth and find myself distracted - and wondering when the song's going to start.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

ok, as I stated I wasnt looking to start a argument here, but I guess its inevitable when I say one lick is the best ever. Well, Personally I feel that you can be "moved" "touched" or "Feel" his style of music. You dont listen to every note one by one, you grasp the entire arpeggio, or entire scale that he is running through as the feeling. Also, yngwie really respects hendrix and ritchie and guys like that, so give him the respect he's giving. However he is very heavily influenced by bach, paginni, ect in the classical chord progression status area.. but he has ALOT of very melodic material. All you bluesy classic rockers are into those pentatonic based licks, classic tube bluesy tone, and some funky good ol' stuff, but he is melodic in a classical sense. Listen to the song brothers, for example. The intro, along with other solo sections can get quite melodic, however you cant escape yngwie's thirst to destroy the instrument throughout anything he does. :) but, we all have our hero's, point said... "No one is anyone without influences from others." I personally dislike hendrix in my daily music lists, and I dont listen to it, but my favorite guitar player LOVES hendrix! So that just shows that.

Who cares everyone, play what you want, all that matters is we're all guitar players and deep down we all kinda connect.

Yngwie - Brothers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxfG8WSVLMs&feature=related

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I think whats its come down to is that pretty muche everyone can agree that Malmsteen and Vai and those kind of players have talent. They can play with the best of them. However it seems that if we were looking for a songwriting parter they wouldn't be a first pick. I do respect what they can do however, and I know that I, and for the most part, the people on GN are not going to be able to do what they do, its out of our skill level, so I give them props for being great at what they do.

Paul

ReplyQuote
(@dommy09)
Trusted Member

i guess i always think of hendrix as a bit of a revolutionary...maybe someone could fill me in here, but was anyone playing the electric like hendrix before he came along? (Only person i can think of is clapton, im sure there are others...Jeff Beck? Jimmy page?)

"We all have always shared a common belief that music is meant to be played as loud as possible, really raw and raunchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." -Bon Scott

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Dommy09 - try Buddy Guy, and Jeff Beck. Jimmy Page was heavily influenced by the latter, but Hendrix was influenced by Beck, Guy, and Clapton (even copied Clapton's Bluesbreaker amp and axe setup for a while).

I had my own Hendrix-phase, then decided he wasn't that great afterall, Jeff Beck was better. But I do think the popular conception among guitar players that Hendrix didn't have good technique is way off the mark. In addition to the jazzier stuff cited above, Hendrix was an absolutely awesome rhythm player with a natural sense of groove. He was also brilliant in the studio, much more so than many of his peers (that backwards guitar effect had to be done live, he couldn't mess up and then drop in again half way through, and he had no reference for how it would sound other than his own imagination, and his tracks often feature 2nd and 3rd guitars playing pretty simple lines, but which add a lot to the overall recording). Most of Hendrix's studio solos are actually fairly simple, but he played rhythm like most people would play piano.

As for Malmsteen, yup I'm another who "just doesn't get it," I just can't stand the tone of his playing or most shredders, for that matter. Although, I've been getting into Greg Howe a bit lately, for some reason his tone is much more listenable for me. But even he has me daydreaming after a while.

But whatever floats ya boat man, that's the beauty of guitar......there's so much that can be done on it, there's space for everyone.

I will make one slightly critical point, though - scales don't actually indicate a rhythm, since a scale is merely an ordered sequence of notes, the rhythm is completely open to interpretation (which is why scales are often represented on a score using black dots with no stems, i.e. no rhythm markings).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Okay. I've given this a few listens now. And I've even re-peeped some other shredders (MAB, Vai, Satch, etc) for a comparison. I still don't get it. Sorry. But I felt I should post and say that, if I had to choose, I'd rather go see Malmsteen, Greg Howe, or Steve Vai out of all shredders I've ever come across. Like, I'm still pretty anti-shred, but Malmsteem has some pretty kewl moments, I just wish he'd have more of those moments....but if he did, you prolly wouldn't like him as much as you do.

And Wes...................mayn. :shock: That Hendrix cut! :shock: :shock: There I was all "yup, I know my music, I've got this whole music history down pat, people should listen to my suggestions..." Then you post. Frank Black. Hendrix. Hendrix I haven't heard. Uh huh, Hendrix I haven't heard. :shock: :shock: Wassup wit dat?!? You really gotta do me a compilation of tracks you think I should give a listen to.....I'm really wishing I could rifle through ya record collection....there's probably tons of stuff that'd bend my head in there. Seriously....I don't mind hunting the tracks down, but some of your recent posts have me wishin' there was some way I could tune in to wesinman.fm :shock: :shock: Massive props. 8)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 7