Clear all

So - just WHERE do you practise?

49 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Well this is a good one to ask Vic!

First off when I got my guitar a few years back I used to go in the living room when nobody was about, which was rare! I'd perch on the edge of the sofa and strain to read my music manuals etc ether beside me or on the floor. Not Good!

Then I went to our main bedroom for a bit of solitude and lounged up against the end of the bed. Not Good either!

Fed up with all this I then camped out on the landing at the top of the stairs with a real stool to sit on and my computer on a desk in front of me. Not bad here! But you have to stop when the rest of the family want to go to bed at night.

Number one son came home for extended periods during Uni breaks and due to lack of space everywhere we decided as a family to build a Summerhouse/hobby room at the bottom of the garden. This was done and my wife and I share share it between us for our hobbies. It's great except in winter when it is a cold or wet run up the garden to get there. Heating is ok as we fitted a timer so it's nice and warm when you get there. Takes a lot of willpower to leave the house after a long days work though. Love getting time in there at weekends though.

My brother Rodders has the best solution as he went the whole hog and converted his garage to a studio last year. Everything is in there, Drums, amps, guitars, computer and most of all space. I need to get together with him and sort out regular practice sessions but like most musicians family lives and commitments get in the way very often.

Great thread Vic.

Cheers,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I mostly play in my living room. That's where all of my gear is. One of the advantages of being a single man living alone. HDTV + guitars + amps + laptop + recording gear = Mantastic room. Occasionally, my son will take my acoustic upstairs to his room. When it goes missing, I know where to find it.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

I get some practice in my man room as well. It is a 20x20 addition on the opposite side of my garage from the main part of my house. Very much like TR's man cave.

But, with my two young girls (5 and 3 yrs old), I'm usually too tired to practice after they go to sleep. Lately, I've been getting good practice in at a public park on my lunch break. I load one of my electrics and my Line 6 TonePort UX1 into the back of my car, and combine that with my laptop for a really good mid-day practice session.

It has worked out very well the last few weeks, but this week's ice storms have put a damper on things.

Great thread Vic. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

I consider myself lucky having my own office/study at home. The problem is that I have the urge to get out into the open more often than not, so now I find myself either sitting with my acoustic on the front porch (and entertaining the neighbors and passer-byes) or out in the backyard under a tree. Sometimes it's hard with the wind blowing the notes away, and if that's the case, I do finger-exercises and practice chord changes. So much nicer out in the open - but then, it's summer over here...

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

One of the coolest things that's happened to me when playing outside is having a hummingbird come down and hover right in front of me checking out what I'm doing. It's happened several times. They must like slide.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

I don't have a "man cave." Place is too tiny. My stuff occupies the spare bedroom, which is "my" room of the house. My wife decides what does in the rest of the rooms. I've got my computer in here, all my guitars on the walls with some posters, and a futon for guests we never have...which has become the world's biggest cat bed. I like to sit there and play.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I got a beer fridge DogBite

I got thinking, I haven't posted any pics of the cave since things have settled in.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Cool old radio, TR!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I play in my bedroom. I usually keep the bass and one of my guitars ready to play and the others in the closet.

ReplyQuote
(@nickr)
Eminent Member

Sweet guns and leg lamp. Too much Miller Lite stuff though...

My Recent Tracks
http://imagegen.last.fm/nick9/recenttracks/nickroberts.gif

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, as you can see from the following photos, I do NOT have a lot of room to practise in - not so much a man cave, more a manhole!

Bit of a squeeze, really! But - it's MY room, and it's lockable, but only from the outside, and I've got the only key. Total dimensions - 8' 8" by 7' 6". And I'm 6' 5" tall......

:D :D :D (see, even the smileys are getting squashed together....!)

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Looks adaquit to me Vic. I used to have a much smaller space myself. If you will notice in one f my pictures that I have a large amount of gear packed into a relatively small corner. I learned conservation of space when I had my 8 x 8 studio. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Looks adaquit to me Vic. I used to have a much smaller space myself. If you will notice in one f my pictures that I have a large amount of gear packed into a relatively small corner. I learned conservation of space when I had my 8 x 8 studio. :wink:

LOL - that's roughly about the same total space I've got. I could probably do with being a bit more ruthless and chucking a lot of stuff out, or at least in the attic - just keep this room for music and the computer. I'm a bit of a hoarder, though - hate throwing anything away. If there's something I haven't used for a while and thrown it out, I usually find I have to buy a replacement within the next week!

Just wish I some of your space, TR!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@daveadams)

I practice either in the living room or the kitchen. I always stand while I play, so I actually tend to wander around while I practice. We live in a small townhouse and my wife and/or daughter are usually around, watching TV or something, so I can rarely rock out with abandon, but it works out pretty well. Recording myself is a bit more of a pain, as the house is rarely quiet, and I have to unpack and repack the recording gear each time, but I've managed it a couple of times.

I look forward to our notional future house with an ideal finished basement with plenty of room to spread out my guitars, some recording gear, a computer workstation, a bunch of bookshelves, a fridge, a workbench...

I should stop dreaming now.

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

I mostly practise in my bedroom....i wish i had more guitars though, I only own a Black Gibson Acoustic....looking to move up to an electric soon.

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4