Clear all

So much for singing lessions

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well I have no idea what happend here but I missed 3 weeks worth of lessons due to working nights and waking up puking. Anyway I finally felt well enough to go in to the last 2 and the door was locked. Haven't been able to get ahold of anyone there so I guess my school and teacher disappeared off the face of the earth. Good thing I had yet to pay for the lessons.

Whether or not I find singing lessons somewhere else I don't know. Really the only things I need to work on breathing control, opening my mouth more and wanted to see about adding some growl to my voice. Not sure if thats worth getting more lessons. I might find something else to fill the void. Not necessarily music related.

Anyone have suggestions on where I should move musically now?

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

That's funny, the exact same thing happened to me! I was taking guitar lessons from a gentlemen who taught from his house. One day I show up and the door is locked and no one is home, a couple weeks later I get a call and he tells me he moved and forgot to tell me, I ended up continuing lessons for a little while until I decided to quit.

If you still want to improve your singing and don't think you can necessarily get to where you want to be on your own then I would say find another teacher. Otherwise, I would just move on to something else.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

continue working on the breathe techniques and singing.opening up and letting that air out is where the quality and character of the voice happens. I discover my rasp when I open up. unfortunately my rasp came from years of smoking. now that I quit I have the wind to sing. sounding sorta like Dylan is the result.
don't smoke.
another aspect of singing is understanding the words in a verse and how to sing them. learning how to use emotion when singing words distinguishes singers from one another.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Could it be that he has gone on holiday?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Why not join a choir?

There's a Rock Choir round my way, and the franchise is taking off over here quite nicely.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Funny, I was going to suggest joining a church choir or community chorus. If you have a good director, he/she will work on the things that make everyone sound better. I've had lots of directors in different choirs and choruses and can't say that the one we have now does much to make our voices sound better. I'm just glad that I have had that in the past.

But then I reread the original post. Choirs aren't usually looking for the "growl" sound. Otherwise, the experience would be helpful. However, you do have to be available for rehearsals and performances, so it depends on your schedule.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

i doubt she went on holiday. I took lessons from a music school not someone's house. I cant join a church because there are no churches or choirs in my religion.

I'd love to take up the offer I had to join a band but have way too much going on right now.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote