Clear all

SoloDallas and his AC/DC cover work. Wow

21 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Most of you may have already seen this guy on youtube, but in case you haven't, check this out. He is simply the best ac/dc cover guy EVER. Perfect tone, perfect timing, perfect style. He shows how hard it is to do AC/DC justice.

Here are a few links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoZp7yw4yYc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQqwF0J3uV8&feature=related

and my favorite at the moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An0YIDxintQ

It's amazing how patient he is, when playing any ac/dc, I cannot help but rush it a bit, if only for a second. Check out the solo at 2:15. I dare you to get that timing down like that.

For contrast, here's an Excellent cover of the same tune. Really well done but not muted with the same perfection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsxn4jGyQNw&feature=related

Of course it helps he has a collection of SG's from 65-70 and custom modded marshalls but still.

Damn!

(@georgejw22)
Trusted Member

Agree totally. :note2:

All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff. ~ Frank Zappa
I've got blisters on my fingers. ~Ringo Starr
Music is spiritual. The music business is not. ~ Van Morrison

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I prefer AC/DC.

No matter how well played a cover version is, ultimately it's just that - a cover of an original work. There are some covers - very few, though! - that are better than the originals - Joe Cocker's version of "With A Little Help From My Friend" and Hendrix's "All Along The Watchtower" spring to mind.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I wasn't, for a second, saying he was better then the original. I was just noticing for how simple ACDC is, they are amazing hard to cover with conviction. The ultra clean simplicity and consistency is hard to replicate. I have seen a thousand ac/dc covers and no one comes close to solodallas in my opinion.

Being a cover musician takes it's own brand of skill and in that category, this dude is A+

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

His expressions are as if he is very constipated lately... :lol:

Nice player though.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Guy does a great job.

AC/DC bass lines are also great practice, as is the rhythm guitar work. Not complex, but the timing and tightness of the Malcolm Young/Cliff Williams/Phil Rudd rhythm section was spot-on.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I wasn't, for a second, saying he was better then the original. I was just noticing for how simple ACDC is, they are amazing hard to cover with conviction. The ultra clean simplicity and consistency is hard to replicate. I have seen a thousand ac/dc covers and no one comes close to solodallas in my opinion.

Being a cover musician takes it's own brand of skill and in that category, this dude is A+

He's pretty good, I'll give you that. It's just one of my pet niggles - if you've obviously got talent, why not put it to use? Write originals? Why slavishly copy another band's work note-for-note? The guy must obviously get a lot of pleasure from their music, but again, speaking for me, I'd much rather watch the REAL AC/DC. Unless - isn't there a band called Hayseed Dixie (or something like that) who do bluegrass/country covers of AC/DC songs? That'd be more to my taste - if you're going to play covers, put a different slant on them, your own style. Unless you're playing covers in a bar band, where your audience is going to want the songs you're playing to be fairly close to the original.

Just my take on the subject, Phinnin, no offence meant.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

No sweat Vic, I agree 100%. I just play covers myself quite a bit lately and am amazed when someone really nails em.

I have quite a few hayseed dixie tunes on my iPod by the way. Pretty bizarre. I prefer thier zeppelin and aerosmith covers more then thier ac-dc stuff. The singer drives me crazy. Very talented bluegrass musicians. I prefer nicklecreek for bluegrass...

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Guy does a great job.

AC/DC bass lines are also great practice, as is the rhythm guitar work. Not complex, but the timing and tightness of the Malcolm Young/Cliff Williams/Phil Rudd rhythm section was spot-on.

+10

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@solodallas)

Phinnin and all of you,
thanks very much for your thoughts and words.
Including the - rightfully so - critiques or negative ones in general.

Every once in a while I do a search on my youtube user name, and this forum popped.
So I thought I'd chime in with you all :D

While I want to thank personally Phinnin for what he has said about me, I'd love to take the chance also to explain what drove me to do what I did and do on youtube.
The first reason has been, a sort of childish (on my part) attempt at defending AC/DC. Yup.
Childish, because naturally AC/DC doesn't need to be defended. But the thing about them has been for ages, that "AC/DC are easy to play" because of the three chords thing.
Knowing well how hard it has been for me over the years to grasp their style of playing and sound, I knew that it couldn't be the case. Of course it was mostly the newer generations - the current newer generations - implying AC/DC was easy to play, but this brought up for me all the talk I had seen in the past while growing up and listening to AC/DC.

So I thought I'd start to show how instead "hard", difficult, demanding it was to play AC/DC songs "the way AC/DC play them and mean them".
I did a first video, with me appearing as a stiff, embarrassed and cold individual which was a very goofy first attempt (it's still online). After that one, I started liking it and it all took off from there. Many more goofy attempts followed as I am indeed pretty goofy as a guy :)
Naturally, the underlying thing is that AC/DC "is simple, but simple doesn't mean easy" just like it is with the blues and all the things you all obviously know about all of this (so I won't start it here), but this is just to explain what drove me.

You could call it a "quest for truth" (lol). It was something it was very useful for me as well, in the whole process.
So, by putting some intense effort into this, I learnt more things, I got a little better myself, I dug into it even more.

It is true what someone said - even in the most civil way up there - about "why not do your original stuff instead". It's obviously on way of seeing it. But the real point for me, wasn't to find "success and exposition" thru' this.
It was more of that "it's not at all easy to play in a certain way" kind of thing that had really puzzled me for many years (and it still does, each time I pick up a guitar).

I also have some modest original material, and maybe in time, I'll expose it even more.

For now, the intent was and still is - for passion and who knows, even professionally if luck still assists me in the future - to show how hard it is to play emotionally, delivering emotions thru' timing, groove, feeling and all the things I am sure you are all well aware of.

So once again, thank you Phinnin for the mention, and happy playing!

Yours, sincerely,

SD

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

SD, glad you found this site. I would be happy if you posted here often., as you have good opinions.
I love playing covers. of course they are never exact. that is not my intention. I play covers the way they make me feel.
since I don't have the talent to create originals I grab covers and do versions.
nothing wrong with that IMO.
I agree with you re: ACDC.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I know exactly what you mean about defending AC/DC - I'm often backed into a corner in a similar way because I'm a big fan of Status Quo, they've had the "three-chord wonders" tag for donkey's years. Usually ends up with me passing a friend a guitar and saying, "well you ****** try it then!"

I understand a little better where you're coming from now - so you're not just a mad AC/DC obsessive! I suppose in a way it's a tribute to AC/DC that you took the time and trouble to learn the songs so thoroughly - I'm a fan myself, but about the only songs I can play are Highway to Hell, Sin City, Back in Black and Hell's Bells.

All I was trying to say, in my clumsy way, is - wouldn't you rather be more creative and play your own songs? Glad to see you write as well....maybe we'll get to hear your originals.

Oh, and welcome to GN!

Vic

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Wow, that was a total surprise . . .
just following the thread and suddenly, the topic of conversation walks in . . .
Way cool.

Yes, please SoloDallas, please hang around.

And let us be the first to hear your own stuff!
An exclusive for GuitarNoise . . .

Thanks for the videos,
KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Every time i start to lose a bit of faith the internet serves up a post like this and revitalizes me again, good stuff.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@solodallas)

See,
I came to this thread again and got the shivers off of all of you guys postings.
So please let me reiterate: THANK YOU all.
No don't worry, I am not trying to be a brown nose (please excuse my mouth, but often my English reverts to my younger times :lol: ).

It's just that is so damn delightful to share certain things together. A sort of group hug? Why not. Why not. With these hard times and the cold coming in meteorologically and even metaphorically, I think it feels good to be able to really share something peacefully.

Thank you for what you might think? Why, thanks for the attention I'm getting, naturally.
Since you now know the origin of all of my youtube jivarish (that being as I tried to explain before, rather childish and defensive of my youth-years' band), you know how pretty personal (and in what way it is) to me.

Also, please bear with me my English inconsistencies. English is my most favourite language still, but not the language I am speaking every day right now (that being, Italian).

Having said this, Kenrogers asks to please hang around.
While I'm sitting here at the office (I'm a white collar in finance: imagine my days. No, don't worry: I'm not one of those who started it. I am though one of those who lost a lot on it) watching more bad news coming from all sides, and I see this super nice request.
Probably the most pleasing thing of my whole day.
Thanks for that, again.

And Vic, you weren't clumsy at all. Neither aggressive. You were simply right.
You know very well that some say, "who knows, does: who doesn't know, teaches":
With the amount of tutorials I have done, I must be for sure in the second lot (laughs).
So your point made total sense.
I have a lot of stuff in mind. Some stuff done with guitars, other stuff a mixture of piano and guitar.
With the (unhoped, undreamed) level of attention I got, I might be lucky and kick one thing or two out there.
I uploaded one of my originals onto Soundclick, will have you waste some of your time with it as soon as the soundclick account is cleared.
And Vic: absolutely. Not a mad fan of AC/DCs. To tell you the truth - I may be burnt for this - I have not been liking any of the last 15 years records of theirs. I am a fan of their older stuff, say until Back in Black or little later.
In fact, most of the stuff I covered is from the earlier period.
I gave it a lot of thinking - to the "what drives me in covering" thing, and I found that for me, it has been exactly like studying history, if you will. I felt - maybe wrongly - that I had to study certain things to be able to do what I wanted to do better. Since I was so much in love with good-timing-rock and roll - and I had such a bad timing at playing guitar, I was awful really - I put myself to study bands with great timing. Including AC/DC, but not only.

Now that I got a bit of that - a bit of the technicals behind good timing - I didn't do much with it though (laughs).
I always hope to have enough time and motivation to keep on composing (writing) more songs and play them (many of my things get recorded quickly on easy to use recorders scattered everywhere!).

That's it. Enough with me.

In short, great to be here.
Thank you all - again - for such a nice welcome. It feels good. Made my day.
:)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2