Some bands you just can't get into.....

151 Posts
39 Users
0 Likes
13.5 K Views
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I suppose in the end it's all down to personal taste, but I've found over the years there are some bands/artists I've tried hard to like, but I just can't relate to them....

Hendrix is the obvious one. Cool image, great guitarist, but 75% of his music just leaves me cold. Damned if I can explain why....certain songs I love (Hey Joe, All Along The Watchtower, Wind Cries Mary, Little Wing, Angel) while others - Purple Haze, Voodoo Chile, Machine Gun etc just don't do anything for me. Looking at the songs I've mentioned, seems it's mostly his slower more melodic songs I like, while the faster stuff doesn't seem to click....

Rush are another band I can't seem to get on with, but at least I can pinpoint a reason for that - Geddy Lee's voice. They always seem to total so much less than the sum of the parts... fine guitarist, excellent bass player, good drummer and yet they just don't seem to gel for me.

Pink Floyd - for years I couldn't get into the floyd, took me till the Division Bell to find an album of theirs I liked. I did like the early stuff, the Syd era, but I never liked Dark Side of the Moon.....maybe because there's no out-and-out rockers on the album? I've grown to appreciate them more over the years, and I admire Gilmour tremendously - but still, there's a lot of their music that just goes in one ear, out the other.

Stevie Ray Vaughan....I'll hold my hands up and admit, I'd never even HEARD of him till I saw his name cropping up on GN over and over. Checked out some songs on youtube, nothing I dislike, but nothing that pinned my ears back either.

There are bands and artists I like that are probably weaker than all of the above - not as technically gifted, not such good writers, etc etc - but some bands, it seems, are destined to remain enigmas to me.

Another possibility I've thought of - perhaps the above mentioned artists...Hendrix, Rush et al....are too far over my head for me to appreciate? They're all generally thought of as superb musicians/bands, maybe the music's too complicated for me? If so, how come I can appreciate Led Zep, for instance? I don't understand 1/10th of what Page's doing most of the time, but that doesn't stop me loving the end product?

And please, don't think I'm knocking anyone's heroes - I'm just trying to figure out why certain bands and artists don't work for me, whether it's an intellectual thing or more visceral (pinched that description from Dogbite!)....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Nice new sig quote there, Vic. :wink: Lol, at pics of Ronaldo almost in tears in today's papers. :lol:

Rush don't do it for me, either. No idea why, although I've not heard too much of their stuff.

Some singers, I just can't deal with the tone of their voice. I know its just my ears and nothing remotely objective, but it aint happening. Actually, I love Jeff Buckley, but sometimes I listen to his voice and I wonder why he gets so much kudos, there's an aspect of his tone sometimes that's just..........weak. And thin. Who cares how many notes you can hit, when they sound like that?

Guns N Roses. Sorry. I can appreciate some of Slsh's riffs (like Sweet Child), but there'sno way I can listen to whole songs, let alone albums or concerts.

Pretty much ALL '80s production. Adding to my GnR dislike.

Led Zep. I love them, but they're way overrated and owe a lot to the Jeff Beck Group (whose album Page produed directl prior to forming Zep. Coincidence.).

Lots of folk/acoustic guitarists I should like and can learn a lot from. Like Renbourn. Sorry. Bored.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have a huge list..
Rush, GnR, RadioHead...eeewww...
Bob Seager, Paul McCartney, GreenDay, and just about all the emo stuff out there.

I hate Radiohead. gave them a try early on. thought they were confused and unsure. now they are just whinney

over on the countrey dial I hate Big and Rich...what dorks..

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I often boils down to the singer for me. I agree about Rush cause I dont particularly like his voice. In 80s music, I never liked Twisted Sister but if they had a better singer, I might have liked it.. Queen is that way for me. I like the guitars and the drums but I dont like Freddies voice.

In fact, I cant think of a single band where I have caught myself thinking "Wow, I love that guys voice but I cant stand the band". Is that because I am more of a singer than a guitarist? Maybe.

Good deep topic Vic... Be interested in others opinions on all this.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

+1 on Radiohead. I love the occasional tune ("you do it to yourself, you do....."), but they are generally pretty whiny, repetitive and hugely hugely overrated by the press and most audiophiles. and Tom Yorke has such a specific style of delivery - it sometimes works, but the fact he sings like that on everything undermines the whole emotiveness of it, disbelief comes crashing back down after more than two tracks. my v v v v v v humble opinion guys. :P

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Vic, I can't get into any band, but that's mostly down to my ability.................. :D

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Pink Floyd I just cannot get into. Same with Rush, The Who, AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac and *gasp* Eric Clapton/Cream and several others I can't think of right now.

I will not dispute that these people are legends and immensely talented but for some reason they just don't do it for me.
For me, I think it all comes down to if I can relate to a band's music or not and how much it moves me. I like a variety of styles and with some people I don't like their voice but still enjoy the song. I guess a lot has to do with the subject of their songs. Some bands just really bore me even if I can respect the music.

I am the same way with a lot of Blues artists. I can like a song or two but if I have to listen to several songs in a row, they all start sounding the same to me and I get bored. I guess I am an emotion junkie. I like a song that makes me feel something.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Vic, I can't get into any band, but that's mostly down to my ability.................. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
good one

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Pink Floyd - for years I couldn't get into the floyd, took me till the Division Bell to find an album of theirs I liked. I did like the early stuff, the Syd era, but I never liked Dark Side of the Moon.....maybe because there's no out-and-out rockers on the album? I've grown to appreciate them more over the years, and I admire Gilmour tremendously - but still, there's a lot of their music that just goes in one ear, out the other.

That's because Syd Barrett was brilliant and the rest of Floyd was left with the crumbs. Comfortably Numbs is just a kickass solo with an intro long enough to take a piss and get some beer. :lol:
+1 on Radiohead. I love the occasional tune ("you do it to yourself, you do....."), but they are generally pretty whiny, repetitive and hugely hugely overrated by the press and most audiophiles. and Tom Yorke has such a specific style of delivery - it sometimes works, but the fact he sings like that on everything undermines the whole emotiveness of it, disbelief comes crashing back down after more than two tracks. my v v v v v v humble opinion guys.

Normally I'd be upset, but then again, what taste am I expecting from a Liverpool fan? :P

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

All the ones that Vic listed except PF I kinda like them and I used to love DSOTM.

A few more:

The Beatles
The Stones
AC/DC - Never was a fan maybe becuase of the annoying singers they always had, but I will have to admit their songs are kinda fun to play
SRV
Hendrix and I've been thinking about this one, part of it is his voice and part of it is his tone..it sometimes seemed on the scratchy metally side if you know what I mean

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member

My list below:

U2
Bruce Springsteen
Van Halen
Paul McCartney/Wings
The Eagles
Genesis
Phil Collins/Genesis

I know these are considered good (and in some instances great) bands by many, but for whatever reason I've never really understood the mass attraction/popularity. Granted, some of these groups have songs that I do like, just taken on a whole I don't quite get it. Having said that, I've seen a couple of names other people have mentioned here that I'm really into so I guess it all balances out in the end.

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

U2: I don't understand what anyone sees in that band.
The Who: They are great, I would pay 3 digits to see them live. But, I don't know, it's kinda like going out with the most beautiful girl in the world and then discovering she's a lousy in bed.
Genesis: yes, no, yes, no, yes, no... somethings are great, somethings are bland.
Bon Jovi, Bob Seeger, Metallica, White Stripes, REO Speedwagon: Just a few in the have merit, but there are other things I'd rather spend my time listening to catagory.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Death/heavy/christian/pseudo/super black/thrash/speed/melodic or which kind of Metal it is. I just don't get it.

The only metal I would come close to would be 'Crazy train' or 'Paranoid' by Black Sabbath. And 'Nothing Else Matters' by Metallica. Also some wrestling numbers by Motorhead.

Besides that metal bands really makes my day off. Ergh. :evil:

And with Oenyaw : I absolutely don't understand U2.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Great topic!
I think there needs to be a distinction here. As Vic states there are bands that are generally regarded as “good/great” that for some reason you just can't get in to. The others are bands that do have a following but do not fall into the “generally accepted great” category.

There are a few bands for me…I know I'll probably get a lot of hate mail about this but I'll say it anyway….The Rolling Stones. :shock: As much as I have tried over the years, I just don't get it. Maybe its Jagger's voice, the way he moves on stage., I don't know. Never could connect. I do recognize them as a great band!! They just never did it for me.

Deep Purple was another. All same reasons that I've already stated. There too many others for me to mention.

Vic poses the question:”…is it an intellectual thing or more visceral…”

I think it's a bit of both. The psychological make up of the person has a lot to do with it. What I mean is, I believe people are all wired for sound differently. We, as musicians, hear music differently than others. Long before I started playing guitar, music seemed to move me or touch me differently than it did for my friends. If we were at a party or in a car, the guys would naturally be talking about something, and I would always the one listening intently to the music. Invariably, and out of the blue, I'd say “Holy crap. ..did you hear that?” That said, music has always provided somewhat “religious experience” for me. I can't properly explain it. Most of the people I know have gotten their exposure to music from the local radio station. For some reason, I've seemed to go out of my way to listen to the “underground” stuff. Bands/musicians that no one else, in my circles, has ever heard of. To this day, I could not tell you what is being played on the radio.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the reasons we do not like certain bands are as diverse and vary as greatly as the many different styles of music that exist. It's the same reasons why we have chocolate and vanilla ice cream!

Thought it ironic the list of songs that played as I typed this (I'm listening to my iPod.)

Son House – Pearline
Porcupine Tree- Blackest Eyes
Frank Zappa – Sofa No.2
Steely Dan – Gaucho

Each of these moved me differently. And I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY got into each song. Why do I like these over the Stones? No idea. I think we are just wired differently.

Never understood the Radiohead thing. Love PF, love Genesis (the Peter Gabriel years).
Lastly, if anyone says anything bad about Dream Theater, you will be officially off of my Holiday Card mailing list!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it pains me when I read that others dislike the Stones, Cream, Hendrix..wow. they are my triad on the top of the Parthenon.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 11