Clear all

Some bands you just can't get into.....

151 Posts
39 Users
0 Likes
13.5 K Views
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member

I'm with you dogbite...almost had to change my avatar after I saw everyone's list, but its all good.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I'm with you dogbite...almost had to change my avatar after I saw everyone's list, but its all good.

Hey..I had to call in sick the day SRV died. I remember it so clearly. The alarm cloack went off, set to the radio so I would wake up, and I heard the announcer say those words. Man...I became numb all over.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I can't get into...

+1 Radiohead
Boston
Foreigner

Took me time to get into.... or how I thought of these bands at the time.

Led Zeppelin -Yup I thought they were boring when I first heard the band.
Black Sabbath -Okay so this is early metal I thought.
Jimi Hendrix -Gave me reason to not always tune my guitar.
The Doors -The stuff my parents listen to on the radio.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member

Hey..I had to call in sick the day SRV died. I remember it so clearly. The alarm cloack went off, set to the radio so I would wake up, and I heard the announcer say those words. Man...I became numb all over.

Yep, there's a point where classic rock meets traditional blues, and, for me, SRV was just in that sweet spot.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

+1 on Radiohead. I love the occasional tune ("you do it to yourself, you do....."), but they are generally pretty whiny, repetitive and hugely hugely overrated by the press and most audiophiles. and Tom Yorke has such a specific style of delivery - it sometimes works, but the fact he sings like that on everything undermines the whole emotiveness of it, disbelief comes crashing back down after more than two tracks. my v v v v v v humble opinion guys.

Another band that seems to go in one ear and out of the other without disturbing the brain cells.............or upsetting them, either, to be honest....
Normally I'd be upset, but then again, what taste am I expecting from a Liverpool fan?

Liverpool fans are generally people of refined taste, good character and discernment.....maybe that's why none of them appear to like Radiohead very much? (Just joking - like I said above, they don't seem to have had any impact on me one way or the other......)
The Beatles

Although I like most of their recorded output, I absolutely LOATHE most of the double white album which seems to be something of a sacred cow around these parts - there are maybe 3 or 4 tracks I like, the rest of it (IMO) is a sprawling, self-indulgent drug-addled mess..... and McCartney's post-Beatles output makes for some pretty horrific listening. A bit like prospecting for gold the old fashioned way - you have to sift through tons of detritus to find the occasional nugget.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Pff, The Beatles, Liverpool FC, you Liverpolians are living in the past. :P

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

before I get bashed from over the pond...

It's not that I hate the Beatles or the Stones and I try to like them (OK I like a few from both) but if I were to play a CD they wouldn't be on the top of the list

I was more into Queen, Bowie, Humble Pie, Free/Bad Company

Right now I don't think there is one artist/band that I could say I like all their songs. I used to LOVE Bowie, I've seen him in concert several times but after about his Young Americans album I didn't like much of his stuff..Loved the Ziggy and The Spiders era though, Mick Ronson was probably the first quitar player that I actually researched to find out who he was etc.

A few more that don't do alot for me:

Allman Brothers
Blues in general
Ywingie
Vai
Beck
Satriani
Genesis
U2
Most country

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

...A few more that don't do alot for me:

Vai
Beck
Satriani

:shock: (...GASP, choke..cough, cough...(falls on floor)...turning blue.....

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Blueline,

Let me explain they do less than nothing for me, the guys I play with want to play one Beck song Going Down, but it doesn't do much for me.

I could probably name a few more that would have you choking

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

cry. blues and country. I forgive you. those are my left and right legs.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

dog,

Actually I think I might like country more than the blues well maybe it's a tie I'm not sure, when I was living in NC I got a daily dose of it and had to surf through the Country Music Channel alot so I'd check some videos out.

There are a few guys I like Brad Paisley I thik he's a pretty good guitarist and country music does have one thing going for it, they definitely have the best looking women of all the music genres..I hope that's not politically incorrect to say that

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Blueline,

Let me explain they do less than nothing for me, the guys I play with want to play one Beck song Going Down, but it doesn't do much for me.

I could probably name a few more that would have you choking
..recovering.... :lol:

It never occured to me that music could be all instramental and still be cool. Until I heard Jeff Beck for the first time 1000 years ago. Till then, I never heard a song without lyrics and it captivated me.

As far as Vai is concerned,, I think the guy is a genius. I was first introduced to him by way of listening to Frank Zappa. Which, I'm sure is on your list as well.

I saw Satriani in NYC before he was on the map and loved his stuff. He broke new ground back then.

(...preparing to get knocked over once more....)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

well I haven't listened to Zappa in years but back in the day I was mildly into him, well I saw a couple of his concerts and had a few albums, no Zappa is no where near where Vai and the rest are

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

There are a few guys I like Brad Paisley I thik he's a pretty good guitarist and country music does have one thing going for it, they definitely have the best looking women of all the music genres..I hope that's not politically incorrect to say that
Nah, country girls still take that sort of thing as a compliment. :wink:

While I am a country fan there are even some of those artists that I don't particularly like. Reba McIntyre is a legend but I have never had the desire to listen to more than one of her songs at a time. Same with George Strait, I only like a few of his.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I just had a post go into a void so I'll repost:

I did like one thing about SRV and that was that everytime I would see him he was playing a beat up guitar...to me that's the way it should be, shiny guitars ain't rock n roll

Shiny guitars are for posers!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 11