Pearl Jam
Nickelback
Coldplay
Guns and Roses
Velvet Revolver
Counting Crows
Daughtry
Creed
Level 42 (Mark King's amazing bass playing can't offset otherwise boring songs)
Oasis
Meat Loaf
Bon Jovi
RHCP
Deep Purple
Bob Dylan (though I often like covers of his songs)
Grateful Dead
Moody Blues
Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship
Fall Out Boy
and, my 8-year old daughter told me she hates the Jonas Brothers, despite her otherwise strong affection for most teen-pop bands created by Disney.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

OK somebody finally hit a raw nerve......slej.????

Counting Crows - Oh Man I love those guys, I thought August and Everything after was the best record I had heard in years when that came out in the early 90's .

I think he's got a great voice, the lyric are usually pretty cool and the band is tight, nothing flashy not real heavy rock but good stuff...but like all bands I don't like everything they've put out

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Bands I can't get into
Van Halen- I just don't get it.
The Eagles- I like the occasional Eagles song, but how people can consider them as one of the greatest bands ever...I'll never understand.
Metallica- Too heavy. Too many of their songs sound too similar.
U2- Boring...though I love Bono as a person.
The Police- See U2.
Rush- Like Vic, I just don't get it. They are great musicians but their music doesn't appeal to me.
ACDC/Guns and Roses- I like the occasional song from then (Guns and Roses from GnR...Highway to Hell from ACDC)...but wow, it reminds me too much of screaming emo music.
Nirvana- See ACDC. Screaming...screaming.
Radiohead- I gave them a chance, and they just don't do it for me. OK Computer isn't that bad though.
RHCP- Frusciante ain't so bad...but Anthony Kieldis (lead singer) is horrible. The lyrics are just flat out horrendous too.

I'm not pointing at anyone...but I've noticed people tend to say "I don't like this band/this artist" after hearing two damn songs. Listen to an album of theirs...maybe two. I used to HATE John Mayer. I mean seriously detest them, he was the poster boy for horrible pop music. His last two albums are great blues albums. He's my fave modern artist now.

Just give bands a chance, more than a couple songs...listen to some albums.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

OK somebody finally hit a raw nerve......slej.????

ROFL! Always expect the unexpected!

I usually like that type of pop-rock, but CC never did it for me.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member

+1 for the Moody Blues...admitedly, I haven't listened to much of their stuff but whenever it comes on I find myself asking the same question over and over again "isn't this song over yet..."

+1 for Bon Jovi as well. I live in the Philadelphia area where he still gets a ton of air time (I believe he's orginally from across the bridge in NJ and actually owns or is part owner of the local arena football team...that's American football, you know, the way its really suppose to be played... :mrgreen: ) and if I hear that song "Wanted Dead or Alive" I'm just going to shoot myself.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Alot my have had to do with my state of mind atthe time, I was going through a divorce, movedd out of the house living in a rundown apartment and I would just come home and put the CD on turn the lights off and listen to it for hours, part of what grabbed me was the sad, melancholy flavor most of the songs had it just seemed to fit how I was feeling.

But know that that's over and I've moved on I still like them alot and they are one of the only bands I'd go out and see right now, not that they are the best or anything like that they just do something for me.

I love Round Here

Oh yea one more on the not so good list...Tool. Iteied to like them but didn't yet I found I liked A Perfect Circle much more and I was sorry that they broke up.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

My list includes:

Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Cream/Eric Clapton
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
and most blues music.

I prefer music that pumps me up and blues doesn't really do that. The lyrics tend to be negative and the music isn't upbeat. Nothing wrong with that, just the nature of the genre. Metal draws on the negative part of the human psyche too so the lyrics tend to be dark, but the music gets me going. Surf, swing and pop are pretty upbeat and that's why I like it. Blues I find depressing and doesn't do anything for me.

I have a lot of guilty pleasures. I can't stand the bands above, whose names I'm convinced are written on a stone tablet of bands I have to like as a guitarist. But I find myself liking Avril Lavigne, Spice Girls, Aqua (don't ask), B*Witched (also don't ask), Rednex (that Cotton Eye Joe song is fun) and other like minded groups. Lately I've been listening to stuff that isn't heavy on the guitar.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Man, I hate Bon Jovi too. And EVH. Just. Don't Get. It.

Muse. Loved the first album. Then everything afterwards just sounds the same. Again, the whole "oh wow, they're so innovative and revolutionary" description Radiohead get, Muse get. Again, I fail to see this.

Also, this aint strictly a band or anything, but the Blues Brothers. Compounded by an absolute crumbling feeling whenever I hear the phrase, "yeah I'm a blues fan, too. Blues Brothers is such a brilliant movie." Um, there is a little more to the genre than those 90 or so minutes.

I've realised that a lot of band/etc I dislike, its not just the band but the way they are critically acclaimed that I find particularly loathesome.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Funny thread. I like to see people stand by their choices ... no matter how stupid :wink:

My problems bands/"artists":

GnR -- Rose is an idiot with an annoying voice. What's to debate here?
Jimmy Buffet -- funny for a while, then really annoying
Phil Collins
Malmsteen
Alan Jackson
Journey -- whine, whine, whine, ... ack, ack, ack
Celine D.
Nell Carter (don't know why I thought of her)
Barry M. ("I write the songs that make the whole world sick." Heard sung by staff in a Chicago deli. <snicker>)
Any Chicago from Chicago III and on ... yet CTA and Chicago (1) were fantastic ... d@mn
Bob Seager -- Night Moves okay, the rest no way
Bon Jovi
Journey
The Replacements -- I wanna like 'em, but ...
Poison -- somebody pull off that bandana! -- ditto for all those hair bands.
Kenny G
Bon Jovi
Neil Diamond from the Jazz Singer on ... tho he seems to be becoming the William Shatner of Music these days
Starship
Clapton after 461 Ocean Blvd.
Bon Jovi
Bon Jovi
Journey
Bon Jovi
Hootie and his fishy pals
Journey
I wish VH did better songs, but
Bon ...

I don't really need to list all the annoying, but (hopefully) ephemeral noobies such as the Plain White Tees, do I?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

amen to that.

lol at how many of these posts I've read going "damn yes, I'm not the only one who hates <enter major artists name here>"

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

nice list gnease. I agree with everything there.

who's Bon Jovi? I bet if his stuff was on the radio I would not know it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Bob Dylan . I always liked songs that he wrote sung by other people better . I like a few that he wrote and sang but if I never hear "Highway 61" or "Subterrainian Homesick Blues" again I will not miss them . "Rainy Day Women #12 and 35" - puhleeeeez !

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Seems I'm not the only one here who can't stand Bon Jovi - I have two stepdaughters who love 'em, asked me a while back if I wanted to go see them. My reply was something along the lines of "I'd rather have my teeth pulled with rusty pliers and without anaesthetic."

"But they're great - thought you liked rock music?"

"They're not great, they don't rock and they're certainly not my kind of music!"

Then we get into the argument that I don't know what good music is - so I reply that I've been listening to music for forty odd years, and I do know what good music is and that's why I can't stand Bon Jovi.....

"But - he's gorgeous....!!!"

"So what? So's a Grimshaw watercolour, but I wouldn't want to listen to one of those either....."

and so on.........

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Then we get into the argument that I don't know what good music is - so I reply that I've been listening to music for forty odd years, and I do know what good music is and that's why I can't stand Bon Jovi.....

"But - he's gorgeous....!!!"

"So what? So's a Grimshaw watercolour, but I wouldn't want to listen to one of those either....."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I'm still waiting to get into Led Zep... because I'm not quite sure why they don't do it for me. I like the riffs, I like the ideas that are in the songs, I like the lyrics, I like the less-than-polished sound of their albums, and I like playing around with some of their riffs. If a band I'm watching covers one of their songs I'm really into it, thinking that I must dig some out and listen to it again when I get home. But, as soon as I do, I'm always thinking about something else 3 seconds later, and that's their lot. :?

It used to be that way with Jimi too, bar a couple of songs, but I came around a few years back.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 11