151 Posts
39 Users
0 Likes
13.5 K Views
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

For me it's simple, I can either feel the music in my belly or I can't

Love the Allman Brothers, Lynrd Skynard don't do a thing for me

SRV, he's good but I think if Joe Bonamasso was playing at the sametime, no one would know who SRV is

Beatles couldn't even hear in my head let alone my belly, Stones could feel all the way down in my cojones

VH, bleh, Rush I can feel in my belly, but it's the same as the feeling I get after eating bad shellfish

Zep are okay, Jeff Beck Group Again can feel them down deep in my belly

Rock and Roll ain't about your brain, it's about your gut

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

I'm not pointing at anyone...but I've noticed people tend to say "I don't like this band/this artist" after hearing two darn songs. Listen to an album of theirs...maybe two. I used to HATE John Mayer. I mean seriously detest them, he was the poster boy for horrible pop music. His last two albums are great blues albums. He's my fave modern artist now.

Just give bands a chance, more than a couple songs...listen to some albums.

The problem is most people don't have the time and money to listen to an album of every band/group/artist they hear. If someone told me "Hey if you like <insert band a> you make like <insert band b>" I'd probably listen to a few of <insert band b>'s songs before I decided. If it was me just listening to the radio hearing a couple singles and I didn't like what I heard, I wouldn't bother. Maybe <insert group b> has lots of amazing songs, but I hear tons of different bands on the radio, see tons of bands posted as links here and get links sent to me over IM. Most of us wouldn't not have the time to listen to all those albums and pick and choose which bands are worth exploring further for them.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Yeah, that's a good point Kevin but most people aren't going to go buy an album of somebody whose singles they don't like.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Yeah, that's a good point Kevin but most people aren't going to go buy an album of somebody whose singles they don't like.
Why would someone ever buy music with all the download outlets nowadays?

If I ever become famous please DO NOT buy my album. Download it for free. I beg of you.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If I ever become famous please DO NOT buy my album. Download it for free. I beg of you.

Filing this away for later ... when quite probably downloading will be the old forgotten method of procuring music.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Cnev, be glad you were not near the N.C. Coast. They've got this sing called Beach Music (no, nothing like Jan & Dean or the Beach Boys) that absolutely drives me insane. I will never understand it, and is probably the only genre that I can say I've never heard anything I like.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I can't get into the high frequency band and so I always miss out the breaking new.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

My short list:

Van Halen - I used to like 'em. They broke up and it's never been the same. Now even the older stuff might as well be broken out of the cases and used for coasters. If I see one more piece of video footage of EVH doing his tapping and toungue wagging thing, I'll find something to OD on. I know he's a rock god, but that Bridget Fonda wannabe from Jersey (Jon Bon Jovi) could turn him into a pillow-biter with a c-note and 1/2 a bottle of Boones Farm.

Sammy Hagar - Never felt it. Before VH or after. Hey! Is it just me, or did that Food Network guy, Gus Fieri, model his whole persona after this d-average retard?

The Black Crowes - 1/2 mention. Studio stuff bores me, but I saw them live and was blown away.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy,

Oh yea I forgot about that. I actually spent alot of time out near the coast in New Bern. The wife was working out there at the time and I would go visit. There's a name to that music and I just can't think of it but yea it's real big out there. from what I read I guess it was kind of invented out there.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I know he's a rock god, but that Bridget Fonda wannabe from Jersey (Jon Bon Jovi) could turn him into a pillow-biter with a c-note and 1/2 a bottle of Boones Farm.

Hey! Is it just me, or did that Food Network guy, Gus Fieri, model his whole persona after this d-average retard?

ROFL Roy, you crack me up!.. However we can never ride in the same car with music going EVER again. heh

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

My short list:

.....The Black Crowes - 1/2 mention. Studio stuff bores me, but I saw them live and was blown away.

I had never heard of the Black Crowes way back when. Went to go see Aerosmith and the BCs were warming up for them. Holy crap. I loved em. They have a great show. Chris Robinson and his brother can really belt out the blues. I happen to really enjoy their studio work.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

Phew. I was beginning to think i was a philistine for being indifferent to SRV and Hendrix. :lol:
+1 to EVH as well.

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Filing this away for later ... when quite probably downloading will be the old forgotten method of procuring music.
Haha...yea...probably true. The way to do things seems to change every couple of years now...

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

You guys are killing me! My poor Geddy Lee. Always sings in-tune while he's slapping more funky basslines than everyone here could combined... but, no hard feelings.

Love this thread... it's funny, my wife pegged me after about 5 dates that I only like bands with high-pitched singers... (Rush, Maiden, Zeppelin, Killers, Coheed & Cambria, REO Speedwagon...) ... that's a little creepy.

Anyway...

- Hendrix "changed the world" but he only makes me change the radio station
- Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton... boring... :roll:
- Post "...And Justic for All" Metallica... can't stand them
- Thrash Metal where the singer make gutteral shouting noises instead of singing... the worst
- Alice in Chains... by all accounts I SHOULD like these guys, but just don't. Maybe it is the deeper voice thing...
- Nickelback... lame
- Coldplay... whiny and lame
- Daughtry... my wife likes him, but I can't get past that he was on American Idol. Plus, he plays the "G-chord" on a $3500 Gibson in his video (and that's it)
- Red Hot Chili Peppers ... Amen! These guys are funky, but after 3 songs I'm like, did the first one end yet?
- Deep Purple... "generic Classic Rock"
- Grateful Dead... one of my all-time most hated. Give me Daughtry any day.
- Radiohead... dude, I just don't get it. Maybe it is an "indie thing"
- Bruce Sprintsteen - never a fan. Anytime I hear it come on in a bar I just start drinking
- Soundgarden - I used to really like them, but they got overexposed and became predictable. Badmotorfinger was a good album, but I can't listen to it now
- Rage Against the Machine... I never got into any of the rap/rock music, and these guys are the poster-children.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member

For me, the lead singers often ruin what could otherwise be great bands.
It's either the really arrogant "rock star" attitude, or a really high pitched voice that sounds whiney to me.

So, although these groups have written some great music, I never listen to:
Led Zeppelin
Sting/Police
Rolling Stones
AC/DC
Rush

On the other hand, I do like to play some of this stuff - just as long as I don't have to listen to their lead singers!

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 11