Clear all

Some bands you just can't get into.....

151 Posts
39 Users
0 Likes
13.5 K Views
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

For me, the lead singers often ruin what could otherwise be great bands.
It's either the really arrogant "rock star" attitude, or a really high pitched voice that sounds whiney to me.

One name that comes first to my mind is James LaBrie of Dream Theater. I know some people think his voice suits their music but i feel they could do a lot better.

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

For me, the lead singers often ruin what could otherwise be great bands.
It's either the really arrogant "rock star" attitude, or a really high pitched voice that sounds whiney to me.

One name that comes first to my mind is James LaBrie of Dream Theater. I know some people think his voice suits their music but i feel they could do a lot better.
GASSSSSSSSSPPPPPPPP! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sir, you hve just cut me to the quick. :cry:

(edit: Not that he is the most well known singer in the world, but IMO, this guy has great range, puts more inflection in his singing that most any other singer and (if you listen to their lyrics) sings some pretty complicated stuff. I'm not sure there would be a better fit. Who would you choose?)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

<snicker> Blueline just flatlined.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

<snicker> Blueline just flatlined.
YOU BET..

I still can't feel my legs!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

You guys are killing me! My poor Geddy Lee. Always sings in-tune while he's slapping more funky basslines than everyone here could combined... but, no hard feelings.

In tune? Maybe - but it's the pitch of the vocals that annoys me. Reminds me of cats mating.....like I said originally, I'd love to be a fan, the music's fine but the voice - it's like that scene in Jaws where Robert Shaw scrapes his fingernails sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowly down the blackboard.......and everyone cringes......

It's not just Geddy, though - I like a lot of Prince's music, but when he hits that ridiculous falsetto, well - time to change the station. Men should not sing falsetto unless; 1 - they aren't past puberty, or 2 - they're called Frankie Valli. Or at a push, Del Shannon.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Men should not sing falsetto unless; 1 - they aren't past puberty, or 2 - they're called Frankie Valli. Or at a push, Del Shannon.

Vic

So that means the whole act of Queen is false. And Bee Gees exist no more. Further, Guns n Roses are totally waste.

Am surprised that you are targeting a style of singing. Maybe you couldn't do it. Its not possible for every singer to attempt good falsetto. The throat gets choked (Atleast mine does when I try).

Its possible that you don't like a particular band who do bad falsetto, but making a statement that men should stop doing falsetto is too much.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

In general Vic is right men should stay away from the falsetto stuff, but I did like Queen.

As for Getty Lee..all I can say is thank god for CD's. Never have to hear that voice again and I think Vic was kind in his description.

Bee Gee"s???? :lol:

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

:lol: :lol:

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

:lol: :lol:
:P :lol: :P :lol:

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

That reminds me of a SNL skit with Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon as the Gibbs brothers... hilarious.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

And Bee Gees exist no more. Further, Guns n Roses are totally waste.

If you're trying to put forward a good argument for men singing falsetto, you're not going to convince me with those two examples!

Freddie's a different matter, although he didn't always sing falsetto - he had much more of a range than that, and the falsetto was used for effect, for colour, not just a screech. Plus he had something Axl and the Gibbs didn't (and please remember these are, as always, MY opinions...) - he had charisma, presence, vitality, presence, call it what you will. He was a master showman.

Comparing Queen to the Bee Gees and G'n'R is, IMO, like comparing the Beatles or the Stones or Led Zep to Boyzone or Westlife.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Also, this aint strictly a band or anything, but the Blues Brothers. Compounded by an absolute crumbling feeling whenever I hear the phrase, "yeah I'm a blues fan, too. Blues Brothers is such a brilliant movie." Um, there is a little more to the genre than those 90 or so minutes.

Yeah, the movie is the standard bumbling idiots on a mission to do good but what really makes the movie is that it's chock full of authentic blues legends (many now sadly passed on) who not only appear but perform their music.

The Saturday Night Live Blues Brothers skits (which spawned the movie) were done mainly because Akroyd and Belushi both loved the blues. I would suggest that it brought a lot of fans to the music which is a good thing for the survival of the genre as a living body of music rather than as a museum piece.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Also, this aint strictly a band or anything, but the Blues Brothers. Compounded by an absolute crumbling feeling whenever I hear the phrase, "yeah I'm a blues fan, too. Blues Brothers is such a brilliant movie." Um, there is a little more to the genre than those 90 or so minutes.

Yeah, the movie is the standard bumbling idiots on a mission to do good but what really makes the movie is that it's chock full of authentic blues legends (many now sadly passed on) who not only appear but perform their music.

The Saturday Night Live Blues Brothers skits (which spawned the movie) were done mainly because Akroyd and Belushi both loved the blues. I would suggest that it brought a lot of fans to the music which is a good thing for the survival of the genre as a living body of music rather than as a museum piece.

I agree with you, and I am glad that it has brought fans to the genre and provided some great video footage of blues greats. Its just when people claim to be fans of the genre but only seem to know that movie (plus the fact that I didn't see it util my final year at uni, perhaps.......) that irritates me horrendously. A bit like saying, "yeah, I'm a big art fan. those Batman comics are really brilliant."

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Any Chicago from Chicago III and on ... yet CTA and Chicago (1) were fantastic ... d@mn
Interestingly, that's the divide where my younger sister and I differ in our opinion of Chicago. I like the first 2 albums and she likes the later stuff. It's hard to say exactly what changed but it became very much more "poppy" but that can't be all of it since even the first two albums were pop music. Hmmmm? :?:

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

If I ever become famous please DO NOT buy my album. Download it for free. I beg of you.

Filing this away for later ... when quite probably downloading will be the old forgotten method of procuring music.
Haha...yea...probably true. The way to do things seems to change every couple of years now...

Downloading is already passé. That was for the bad old days of low bandwidth. It's now live streaming. One such source is Pandora.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 11