151 Posts
39 Users
0 Likes
13.5 K Views
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

GASSSSSSSSSPPPPPPPP! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sir, you hve just cut me to the quick. :cry:

(edit: Not that he is the most well known singer in the world, but IMO, this guy has great range, puts more inflection in his singing that most any other singer and (if you listen to their lyrics) sings some pretty complicated stuff. I'm not sure there would be a better fit. Who would you choose?)
Hey man, didn't mean to call him a bad singer :oops:
Far from it, i think he's a good singer but i find his singing style odd for the music they play. Purely my opinion. I'm certainly not qualified to analyze vocals for certain qualities. IMO someone with a James Hetfield type of voice and delivery will suit their style. Again, purely my opinion.

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

....Hey man, didn't mean to call him a bad singer :oops:
Far from it, i think he's a good singer but i find his singing style odd for the music they play. Purely my opinion. I'm certainly not qualified to analyze vocals for certain qualities. IMO someone with a James Hetfield type of voice and delivery will suit their style. Again, purely my opinion.

LOL...its all good buddy! When I read your post I immeadiately thought of the original singer Charlie Dominici. I was not at impressed with his efforts on their first album and thought that James LaBrie was an absolute upgrade. Most of DT's lyrics make the listeners put some thought into the song, which is why I think JL's voice/phrasing is best suited for the spot.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Shoot, I was out of town for this one. Great topic, Vic. :)
Might as well air it out right now...Jimi I can take or leave, Clapton and SRV leave me cold (Clapton's Unplugged is like homework for me; tons of chops and the most uninspired playing, imho).
And while I'm at it Queen have always been sort of a joke where I come from...
But the mudda of all overrated groups:
The Eagles.
Anyone I've worked with or known for any time will torture me with Hotel California at some point knowing how much I dislike that song.
And no offence Dali, but Geddy Lee and 'funky' in the same sentence?
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

journey... most annoying vocals ever..

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member

I am kind of surprised at all the mentions of SRV and Hendrix... guess I must have misjudged the forumites a bit.

Off the top of my head I'd say Metallica first of all. I like some metal and probably *should* like Metallica but I just don't see what the big deal is. That and the fact that they're probably better known now for their legal and personal dramas than their music just makes them seem like a joke.

Also, I never saw what the big deal was about Dire Straits. I mean, it's decent enough but I have no idea why they are talked about so much.

I never really got into Green Day as much as I should of as well. There was just better punk music to listen to at the time. I actually liked American Idiot though, even with it being so overplayed.

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

My list of Bands I've tried and cannot stop asking everyone"whats so great about them?"
1.U2- way overrated, joshua tree was NOT that awesome. at all
2. Coldplay- all their music sounds the same as their one great song....Clocks
3. System of a Down- crappy post grunge/ grunge- metal garbage
4. Pearl Jam- Ten was NOT that great, just okay, and they were grunge only while grunge was poplular. sell out!
5. Most 80's hair bands
6. Most crappy adult alternitive bands like daughtry, lifehouse, matchbox 20 or any other VH1 allumni
7. Almost every emo band except for Fall Out Boy.
8. White Stripes- no bass. at all?
9. RadioHead when they are feeling themselves way too much
10. Korn/limp bizkit/ rage against the machine- do i have to give reasons?

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
(@elpantalla)
Honorable Member

Wow, so much Radiohatred on here.

I could never get into:

Dave Matthews (ewwww)
Pink Floyd
Grateful Dead
The Who
The Rolling Stones are ok.

and Hey! The Bee Gees were good before the disco era!

One chord is fine.
Two you're pushing it.
Three and you're into jazz.

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

I usually can't not get into anything if i try hard enough.
That said there is one style of music i can't stomach. Country.

I don't care if it's country rock, country shred, fusion country, Dixieland jazz, bluesgrass, anything. I just can't stand it. Voices almost as whiny as the guitars, all high end. And one thing that gets me the most, is that no matter where a country singer is from, they all sound like they come from nashville?

I dunno. the closest thing is all that Delta/New Orleans/Mississippi Blues thing with stompboxes and slides. Now that i can dig.

I actually saw a few posts saying emo as well.

Emo is such a broad thing,It's a movement, not a genre and actually covers several different genres ranging from brutal hardcore to acoustic soft stuff.

Here are some songs you might be surprised to know are emo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD8Dnd40EF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1zJGzoI_Qs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahKKCFzWk3g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7itHHrTty0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiIC5qcXeNU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhPljk5EZ0Q

And so noone can call me a hypocrite, please feel free to post some country stuff to enlighten me a little more coz i would love to find some i like.

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

ReplyQuote
(@elpantalla)
Honorable Member

How is Buddy Holly by Weezer emo?

One chord is fine.
Two you're pushing it.
Three and you're into jazz.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

GASSSSSSSSSPPPPPPPP! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sir, you hve just cut me to the quick. :cry:

(edit: Not that he is the most well known singer in the world, but IMO, this guy has great range, puts more inflection in his singing that most any other singer and (if you listen to their lyrics) sings some pretty complicated stuff. I'm not sure there would be a better fit. Who would you choose?)
Hey man, didn't mean to call him a bad singer :oops:

I'm with Blueline on this one (and not just cause we are virtual bandmates :) ). I guess I could see the Hetfield style if all you are considering is Train of Thought or a few songs off Systematic Chaos, but they do so much more than that. I think his voice fits their music pretty well. Go listen to Hetfield sing "Astronomy" and tell me you think he could pull off "The Spirit Carries On"

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Spides, the whole sounding like they're form Nashville thing is kind of inherent to the genre. Nashville is front and center for Country music. I don't like most of it, but there are some gems sprinkled in. Gotta almost stumble onto it though. There's also the old Western music that kind of went out of fashion along with the hoola-hoop and my haircut. It morphed into Country, never to be heard again as far as I know. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

...that no matter where a country singer is from, they all sound like they come from nashville?

Is sounding like you came from Nashville such a bad thing? :)

I know what you meant, I'm just messing with you. I've never lived anywhere but the Nashville area, and I can count the number of country songs I like on my fingers (of course, we Tennesseans can only count to 20, unless we've had a run-in with some farm machinery).

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I'm with Blueline on this one (and not just cause we are virtual bandmates :) ). I guess I could see the Hetfield style if all you are considering is Train of Thought or a few songs off Systematic Chaos, but they do so much more than that. I think his voice fits their music pretty well. Go listen to Hetfield sing "Astronomy" and tell me you think he could pull off "The Spirit Carries On"

Very good examples. There. I feel better now. Thanks bro! 8)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

...that no matter where a country singer is from, they all sound like they come from nashville?

Is sounding like you came from Nashville such a bad thing? :)

I know what you meant, I'm just messing with you. I've never lived anywhere but the Nashville area, and I can count the number of country songs I like on my fingers (of course, we Tennesseans can only count to 20, unless we've had a run-in with some farm machinery).
Definitely not a bad thing. Just strange if you come from outback australia.
Spides, the whole sounding like they're form Nashville thing is kind of inherent to the genre. Nashville is front and center for Country music. I don't like most of it, but there are some gems sprinkled in. Gotta almost stumble onto it though. There's also the old Western music that kind of went out of fashion along with the hoola-hoop and my haircut. It morphed into Country, never to be heard again as far as I know. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Thats a good point actually, some of that spaghetti western stuff is really cool, with the flutes and harmonicas and cool guitar stuff.
How is Buddy Holly by Weezer emo?

Weezer are by and large one of the most important bands in the evolution of Emo from its early days restricted to the hardcore scene. A lot of people find weezer quite funny but most of the lyrics are metaphorical and they take most of the songs very seriously. Weezer were one of the first power pop emo bands from which bands like dashboard etc sprang up from. That said calling them emo is almost retrospective. Like calling Black Sabbath stoner rock even though they came before. Only Weezer came after emotional hardcore, but then people inspired by them started creating similar music and calling it emo.

Emo itself has been around since the eighties, bands like pg 99 and orchid, the mainstream public awareness of the term has been relatively recent tho, over the last ten or so years. As for the fashion, it's just a classed up form of modern punk fashion.

Sorry if this seems off topic, i should post a thread explaining emo.

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

whatever it is I like Weezer and I've been playing both Buddy Holly and Hashpipe lately. I think Rivers is very talented.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 11