Clear all

Some bands you just can't get into.....

151 Posts
39 Users
0 Likes
13.5 K Views
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

How 'bout a reductionist view: emo = whiney (and punkish).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

...ready?....Lyle Lovett.

I love Lyle Lovett. His Live in Texas album is incredible. "If I Had a Boat" is one of my all time favorite songs.

On Vai, I've always preferred him to Satch because he is more unstructured. Joe can play some awesome stuff, but he does tend to have a standard song structure that sounds like a "regular" vocal song w/ the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/verse/chorus pattern. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it just gets a little boring after a while. Vai has some stuff like that, but he'll throw in a lot of other stuff as well.

As a caveat, I haven't listened to much new stuff by either one. I've found that I don't enjoy listening to them as much since I started playing guitar. Before, I had no idea how that kind of stuff was played and I loved it. Now, I understand fundamentally how, but know that I'll never reach that level.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Ah...a fellow Snobolutionist. :wink:

Yeah, the first time I saw Vai was like a religous experience. Same with Satch too.

My fav Lyle Lovett song...Hmmmm.. I'd have to say either Good Intentions - "She was never good but she had good intentions" or Which Way Does That Old Pony Run. "...I was a cowboy, the best in the land. The she settled me down with a touch of her hand..." The guy has great lyrics.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Lovett has more than just great lyrics: great tunesmith, guitar player, story teller and performer. Last time I saw him was on tour with John Hiatt, Joe Ely and Guy Clark. As much as I love the other three's music -- esp. Hiatt, Lovett was the understated, but true master on that stage.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

I've never seen lyle lovett but i definitely think hes pretty rad.

Putting vai in a zappa context does actually contextualize it a lot more for me. I always knew he played with zappa but never kind of listened to him with that in mind. I still don't really dig the sound but i can kinda understand more where he's coming from with it now. I actually love zappa. I think anybody who is that into their music is fine by me. I've never seen somebody that tripped out purely on music before, as i hear he was almost completely drug free. I love all the stuff napoleon murphy brock does too, tho also very zappa based, its cool that a lot of those guys are kinda keeping the flame burning.

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Lovett has more than just great lyrics: great tunesmith, guitar player, story teller and performer. Last time I saw him was on tour with John Hiatt, Joe Ely and Guy Clark. As much as I love the other three's music -- esp. Hiatt, Lovett was the understated, but true master on that stage.
Ya gotta love Austin City Limts. That's where I first saw Lovett. Didn't know a thing about him and man, after that show, I was hooked. You're right, the guy can play and his tunes are great stories. He's got a twisted sense of humor too.
I've never seen lyle lovett but i definitely think hes pretty rad.

Putting vai in a zappa context does actually contextualize it a lot more for me. I always knew he played with zappa but never kind of listened to him with that in mind. I still don't really dig the sound but i can kinda understand more where he's coming from with it now. I actually love zappa. I think anybody who is that into their music is fine by me. I've never seen somebody that tripped out purely on music before, as i hear he was almost completely drug free. I love all the stuff napoleon murphy brock does too, tho also very zappa based, its cool that a lot of those guys are kinda keeping the flame burning.

Yeah, they (Brock) toured last year doing all of the old Zappa stuff. It was great. And yes, Zappa was 100% drug free. I was lucky enough to meet him at a party in NYC in the 80's. (Got pics to prove it!!! 8) ) Had a long conversation with him and I walked away thinking that he was likely the most intelligent person I ever met.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

OK shoot me down in flames but , Jimmy Hendricks ...

Jimmy I love what he was able to do as far as playing a guitar , but his songs sorry I can't get in to at all ...

Boy bands ...Really is that music ? not for me either ....

The pretentious long blond haired teenage girls sing that poopy style of pop , ironic thing they are singing about love , they wouldn't know about love , they wouldn't know about life ..

Blues , I love listening to "True Blues " Muddy Waters etc not someone who has learned the 12 barre bar blues and wants to sing about how they were cheated in life ...Becomes very annoying after a while ..

Rock and Roll , that can be heard and not distorted that much it sounds like a wall of noise ,

I am who I am and I like what I like

I like , AC/DC I like Status Quo I like Johnny Cash ...

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

You mean Jimi Hendrix?

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

You mean Jimi Hendrix?

I'm sorry but by that statement do you mean to ask if he is referring to Jimi Hendrix in his post, or are you stating that the word "you" is synonymous with Jimi Hendrix, or are you colloquially referring to him as a mean Jimi Hendrix ie. "You're such a mean Jimi Hendrix you mean Jimi Hendrix!"?

I am of course being facetious, it is just as obvious what you meant to say as it was who Barnabus Rox was referring to in his comment. I just think that if we're gonna be so harsh on spelling, we should take an equally strong stand on poor grammar.

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

I am of course being facetious, it is just as obvious what you meant to say as it was who Barnabus Rox was referring to in his we should take an equally strong stand on poor grammar.

The comma after facetious should not be there. It is a comma splice error as "I am of course being facetious" is a complete thought. You could have:
I am of course being facetious. It is just as obvious what you meant to say as it was who Barnabus Rox was referring to in his post. We should take an equally strong stand on poor grammar.

or
I am of course being facetious; it is just as obvious what you meant to say as it was who Barnabus Rox was referring to in his post. We should take an equally strong stand on poor grammar.

or
I am of course being facetious and it is just as obvious what you meant to say as it was who Barnabus Rox was referring to in his post. We should take an equally strong stand on poor grammar.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Lets not caught up in correct grammar or Gramma or what ever it is ..or even spelling for that matter , if I wanted A English lesson I would not have joined a guitar forum for one ......

Who gives a toss really

Maybe I should have just typed J .H ...

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

I am of course being facetious, it is just as obvious what you meant to say as it was who Barnabus Rox was referring to in his we should take an equally strong stand on poor grammar.

The comma after facetious should not be there. It is a comma splice error as "I am of course being facetious" is a complete thought. You could have:
I am of course being facetious. It is just as obvious what you meant to say as it was who Barnabus Rox was referring to in his post. We should take an equally strong stand on poor grammar.

or
I am of course being facetious; it is just as obvious what you meant to say as it was who Barnabus Rox was referring to in his post. We should take an equally strong stand on poor grammar.

or
I am of course being facetious and it is just as obvious what you meant to say as it was who Barnabus Rox was referring to in his post. We should take an equally strong stand on poor grammar.

LOL thanx for pointing that out.
I was just defending BR, he's clearly not into Hendrix so knowing how to spell his name has obviously never been a priority for him.

just thought the comment was a bit pointless and rude correcting him like that. No offence to ignar, amazingly smart dude.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Actually I was trying to make a point beyond 'haha you spelled his name wrong'. Mybe it's just me, but I noticed that when I don't know someone's name I tend to also know less about that person in general. Or music-related: I know more music of people who's name I know then those acts whose name I don't know. I know the name of George W. Bush & Bill Clinton but not the names of the presidents of the thirties. I also happen to know more about these two presidents then whomever was in charge back then. I can't proof it but I have a strong feeling that being able to spell one's name correlates with the knowledge one has of that person. And I guess I'm not the only one whose brain functions like that.

So, based on that little theory, I assume that Barnabus is probably familiar with the Greatest Hits (hey Joe, All along the watchtower, Little Wing, Red House, etc etc) and is less or maybe not at all familiar with the different songs he has made. It's like the Beatles: I can't blame my generation for thinking they sucks for all we hear on the radio is 'all you need is love' and such boring repetitious generic uninspired corny crap (no offense :twisted: ). But I began to dig deep into their catalogue and found a whole bunch of great songs. And I learned their names.

As for spelling: as long as my English is better then your Dutch I don't particularly care it. :P

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

I think correcting the spelling of Jimi Hendrix--on a guitar forum of all places--is fair game.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Yeah, it's not like he mispelled Raul Packartknee. :roll:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 11