Clear all

Song Retention

30 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Seems like if I do not play a song every single day, I tend to forget it within a month's time. A few month's back I learned a song called "Signs" (the Tesla version). Not too difficult a song. Learned it in one night and really liked playing it. Ask me how to play it now. I can most likely get through the first 3 measures and would have to stop. Now if I had learned that song a few years ago, I could understand. Hey, its been a while. But this was only a few months back!!

Now, I Do have a song book where I keep a majority of the songs I have learned or written.

So, the question is..why? Old age? Limited attention span? Has my brain reached capacity? Please tell me that I am not alone.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Don't know but I'm the exact same way, although there are certain songs that have seemed to stick even if I don't play it often but most are like you described.

It's old age!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Ummhhh . . .
what was the topic again?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Ummhhh . . .
what was the topic again?

+ ... uh ... 1

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Well, thank you, Gnease.
I rarely get complimented . . . especially on my senility.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

We've got a couple of guys in our church band who often can't remember on Sunday how to play a song they practiced on Wednesday. And that's with a chord chart in front of them ... :x

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think you're a fine, outstanding example of senility, KR. A model for us all.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Well, thank you, Ric.

KR2

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

We've got a couple of guys in our church band who often can't remember on Sunday how to play a song they practiced on Wednesday. And that's with a chord chart in front of them ... :x

See! It's NOT and age thing. That makes me feel a little bit better. Thanks bro I knew I could count on you!

Hey cnev, isn't that strange? Some songs you can remember with no problems. Others...oh well. And I'm talking easy, easy songs too! And it ALWAYS seems to hit me when someone says , "Hey, play something...what do you know how to play?" ...I just look at them with that blank stare..."Huh, what? Play? who me? Right? Then you sit there thinking..OK...I know stuff...I do...think, think, think....

Speaking of senility, It seems like if I do not play a song every single day, I tend to forget it within a month's time. A few month's back I learned a song called "Signs" (the Tesla version). Not too difficult a song. Learned it in one night and really liked playing it. Ask me how to play it now....

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You know, KR, I think your senility's a model for us all!

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

I once saw Louden Wainwright III and he forget the words to he own song.

I thought that was pretty funny until I did the same thing myself.
My gear list now includes music stand, song sheets, and reading glasses.

Isn't getting older wonderful?

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

I pretty much never forget songs that i make up

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I forget stuff I make up, because I usually don't write it down, and I can't go Google it up!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Well, thank you, Ric.

KR2

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Repeating it, as if you'd never said it before was a classic! Give that man a gold star, and a mug of cocoa.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

So, the question is..why? Old age? Limited attention span? Has my brain reached capacity? Please tell me that I am not alone.

The trick to remembering stuff is to be sure to learn it when you're a kid. :wink: I can't remember songs that I played, or even wrote, in the recent past. But start a nursery rhyme or a hymn that I learned half a century ago, and I'll be be right there with you...

The guy that nominally leads the group that I play with suggested a while back that we should put away the music stands and learn a few songs 'by heart'. Ho ho. I learned a simple hornpipe, and retained it for several hours, but a couple of weeks later I needed a quick glance to start me off again...

The interesting thing is that our oldest member - who is well into his seventies - does seem very good at memorising tunes. He plays lead melody lines on a mandolin. But he mostly plays by ear. So he's not trying to recall lines of dots on a score, or chord progressions, lyrics or whatever - he just knows where all the noises live on the neck, and he has a good feeling for the way songs work. So if you play or hum something he'll quickly pick up the tune, get a grasp of the musical logic of it, and set off. He's a good reader of music, but never has the right glasses with him, so while the rest of us follow the written instructions, Roy plays whatever he thinks should come next. So every time there's a change from verse to chorus, a repeat back from a certain point, a coda, or whatever, you have to listen carefully to see which route Roy is taking.... then you have to quickly change direction and follow. :D

It's actually taught me a huge amount about really listening to the music, being flexible, and so on. Developing my ear and feeling for the logic and possibilities of music has become the goal for me now, rather than trying to rote learn stuff. Who cares if we take the high road or the low road, we still enjoy the view..... :note1: :note2: :note1:

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2