Clear all

songs that have been just played way too much

22 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I am jamming w/ some guys and trying to get some songs together and we have been talking about playing some local bars and such. Right up front I told them there are a few songs I absolutely refuse to play out. The reason is because it seems every band I see plays these songs, well atleast around cocoa beach Fl. dont get me wrong i think its absolutely perfect for a beginner to learn these songs as they have heard them a zillion times but bands, please spare us any more covers of:
Brown eyed girl
Margaritaville
Sweet Home Alabama
Hotel California

The fact that these songs have been beaten to death is atribute to how great they are but damn each one of them was originally performed by an artist that has so many other great songs, pick one of them!

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

There is a reason these songs get played so much,
people want to hear them.
If you are a cover band and want to pack a house it is wise to give them what they want.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I know what you mean. and I agree with you.
unfortunately, Brown Eyed Girl is the most requested song. and guess what is second, third and fourth.

some songs can be played over and over. some I cringe.
I love playing Gloria.

if you want the crowd entertained then you may have to be an entertainer.

it's tough being an artist.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@evolution)
Estimable Member

I'm surprised Stairway to Heaven wasn't mentioned already. I thought somebody would say it the first or second post. :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Don't forget that half drunk 40+ year old in the back of the bar yelling ........

Yep, Freebird. :roll:

Let's see what else gets asked for a lot....

Mustang Sally.....

from the 30+ crowd.... Talk Dirty To Me, Unskinny Bop, Sweet Child O Mine, Crazy Train, and just about any Zepplin.

There are plenty of covers that can be done that will please the crowd without playing the same ones that were playing on the jukebox while you were setting up.

I think this happens with cover bands because many of them in an area are formed from guys/gals that were in other cover bands. All the members already pretty much know the standard cover band setlist and that means a bit of rehearsing, and gigging quick. Instead of coming up with a little bit of a twist and actually having to learn/practice something new or different.

And if the same old people want to pay a $5 or more cover to hear the same old songs, well...

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Don't forget that half drunk 40+ year old in the back of the bar yelling ........

Yep, Freebird.

Oy....leave me out of this......!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

As a member of that generation, I can assure you we never got 1/2 drunk. We were brought up to finish the job. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I can see both sides of the argument. The challenge would be to find some good partying tunes to replace the standards with.

I've got it. Let's do a poll asking for everyone's top 3-5 cover tunes they'd like to do gigging. Should be an interesting thread.

One that gets done a lot around here is My Old School by Steely Dan. Kind of an odd tune to be mixed in with the other songs previously mentioned.

Oh, and I think the "freebird cry", as I call it, has gotten bigger than the song itself.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Well at the young age of 36 y'all haven't got too many on me. Plus I used to party with you older kids :P

I believe you are correct about the freebird cry.

If you're a rock outfit and want to do covers you could play some of these instead.

Skynrd: That Smell, I Know a Little.
AC/DC: TNT, (I've only seen one band in the last ten years cover this)
Judas Priest. Hell Bent for Leather, Devil's Child
When's the last time I heard Flirtin' With Disaster, oh yeah when I saw Molly Hatchet playing at Ft. Hood.
Nobody I know of around here has ever covered an Alice Cooper song.

I could list a lot more, probably enough for at least one or two sets without touching any of the old chestnuts.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

A British group made an entire career of releasing covers, with their own personal twist - they're called Showaddywaddy.
Follow this link and click on "Covered Originals" in the options list. That should give you a few ideas.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

If you're going to be a cover band I would recomend you not only find new songs, but bring something new to whatever it is you're doing. That allows you to be more creative and still give people something farmiliar. Re-arranging songs can be fun and provides it's own challenges.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

Heres a few from my set list ,we always try and find something a bit different but at the end of the day if someones paying you to entertain them you got to give em want they want.

Primal Scream "rocks"
Black Rebel Motorcycle Clube "Spread your Love"
Fountains of Wayne "Survival Car"
Lou Reed "Wagon Wheel"
The Black Keys "10am Automatic"
Pschadelic Furs "Pretty in Pink"
AC/DC "All Night Long"
U2 "I will Follow"
Bob Marley "No woman No Cry"
The Pixies "Here Comes Your Man"
David Bowie "Moonage Daydream"
CCR "Fortunate Son"
Elvis "thats alright mama"

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Really like your setlist Bobble, quite different from the norm. I had forgot about Mustang Sally, I think thats the worst since usually its a 30 min long lame drawn out awful version. I am still impressed if a band gets the slide part of Freebird and the solo right. I love Duanne Allman and that song is just full of emotion for him. Here is a sample of some songs we are trying to put together.

Sunshine of your love~Cream (i know its been done before but I loves it:)
Homesick~Atlanta Rythm Section
Closer to Home~Grand Funk Railroad
Born on a Bayou~CCR
People Get Ready~Jeff Beck
Wanted Dead or Alive~JBJ
Paint it Black~Rolling Stones
Folsom Prison Blues~Johnny Cash
Hey Joe~Hendrix
Hey Lawdy Momma~Steppenwolf

I'd love to cover some Steely Dan but damn those chord progressions!

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

One song I'd love to do is Johnny Cash's "When The Man Comes Around"....heard it for the first time recently as the closing credits came on, a Tommy Lee Jones film called "The Hunter"....the song really knocked me out, I'm going to have to find a decent tab for it and work it out.....

A friend of mine I met playing in the pub crops in to jam now and then....we usually do a few Stones songs, but we always end up doing "Band on the Run"... one of these days, we're going to have to have a go at "Maybe I'm Amazed".....

BTW, the Stones songs aren't the usual songs you'd expect....OK we do "Wild Horses", but we also know "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" "Sweet Virginia" "Dead Flowers" "Play With Fire" "Let it Bleed" and "I'm Free"....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

As far as Stones covers I do:
Beast of Burden
Silver Train
Salt of the Earth
I got the Blues
and Little T&A

Jeff Beck Covers:
Ain't Superstitous
You Shook Me
People Get Ready

SRV covers:
Mary Had a Little Lamb
Look at Little Sister
Cold Shot

Other covers:
Unchain my Heart-Joe Cocker
Damn Right I got the BLues- Buddy Guy
Smokestack Lightnin

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I don't have the skill for gigging yet. Even if I did, I might not. But IF I had the skill, time, desire, etc, this would be my set list based on what I (sort of) can play now.

Lido Shuffle (I don't actually know this one, but am tryong to find tab)
Sweet Home Alabama - Yes, over done, but people like it.
Dead Or Alive - BJ
Happy - 'Stones
Old Man - NY
Jack & Diane - Mellencouger
Gimme Shelter - Stones (Rhythm currently kicking my butt)
American Girl - Petty
Honky Tonk - Stones (another over done one, but I overdrive my hottest HBs and it sounds kinda cool.)
Turn The Page (Hard version by Meticalla)
Still The Same - Segar
Mainstreet - Seegar
Back In Black - AC/DC
Melissa = Allman bros.
Tangerine - Led Zep
Rocks Off - Stones

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2